Status: First main; Very slowly active

Hutch or Peck?

Chapter 11

After Hutch dropped me off at my house, I went inside and put my things down. A deep sigh escaped me as I closed my eyes thinking about everything that happened and what was discussed today.

I picked up my phone sighing quietly this time before calling Peck. It didn’t ring for too long, but when it stopped, I heard his voice.

“Hey, Mel,” he said, but it sounded forced.

“We need to talk. Meet me at the park in five,” I said in a cold tone before hanging up, not even bothering to wait for his response.

I grabbed my keys and stuffed my phone into my back pocket, grabbing some sunglasses before heading out.



It didn’t take long for me to get the park which had only a couple of kids playing on the side farthest away from the bench I usually sat at. I browsed through my phone knowing I wouldn’t get anywhere for long. I didn’t bother looking up any articles that were about me and Hutch knowing they would be untrue.

I got lost in my thoughts as I prepared myself mentally for whatever the outcome of the conversation could go. But even through all of the preparation, it didn’t do me too well since when he showed up, it all washed away as my nerves started to get the better of me.

He walked up to me with a guilty look on his face before speaking.

“Look, Mel, I’m sorry for the way I acted earlier. I was being over-,” he began, but I cut across him.

“That’s not why I asked you to come here. I want to know the truth. Why have you been acting differently ever since Hutch and I started hanging out?” I asked folding my arms across my chest.

“I was just being over-protective,” he answered, but I couldn’t accept just that.

“Any reason in particular?” I asked walking up close to him and stared up at him.

“Mel-,” he began, but I cut across him.

“You can’t say there isn’t a reason or that you’re being like a brother because you know I had a crush on you for the longest time and acting like a brother doesn’t justify your actions. If anything, you were acting like you were jealous,” I ranted, but I had unintentionally struck a nerve with my words.

Peck’s eyes snapped to mine as a scoff escaped him. He laughed without humor.

“Honestly Mel, do you think I have feelings for you? I’m with Allison!” he said, but it was forced.

“So if I dated Hutch, you wouldn’t have a problem with it?” I asked not realizing my voice was rising.

“No, I-,” he began, but I couldn’t listen to him speak anymore.

My body reacted and I kissed him on the lips. To my surprise, he didn’t push me away, but there was something else-something much worse; I felt a spark.

I pulled away and instantly felt bad.

“I’m gonna go. Just forget what just happened, OK?” I asked nearly sounding like I was begging instead.

I felt like I had betrayed Hutch and especially Allison. Oddly enough, I was stopped by Peck whom grabbed my arm gently and actually began leading me to his car.

He frantically started the engine and that was when my voice finally worked.

“Peck-,” I began, but he cut across me.

“Stop calling me Peck,” he said, but I could tell that was moreso said out of habit than anything else.

“It’s what I do to differentiate between you and Hutch-,” I got out, but he cut across me again.

“M, please,” he said staring at me this time.

I couldn’t figure out what he was thinking, but I could tell his mind was scrambled.

“Where are we going?” I asked, but the engine started.

“We’re going somewhere the paparazzi wouldn’t think of looking,” Peck answered.

I opened my mouth to speak again, but was silenced when he put his hand on top of mine.

“Do you trust me?” he asked staring back at the road.

“As long as you don’t do anything silly, yes,” I answered honestly.

He placed my hand next to the gear before putting it in drive and we took off.

~~~~~

Our car came to a complete halt to a cliff an hour or so away from L. A. It was a beautiful sight to say the least. I felt at peace being away from my mom and her drinking problem along with the other problems my sister was most likely having with Hutch.

I took the smoothie I had and sipped some of it as we sat in the car as my mind raced as I tried to figure out what to do within the next year or so. I knew I had to move out sooner rather than later, but where would be the question.

Apparently, my companion was starting to get worried about me so he finally spoke for the second time during the trip so far.

“Do you like it here?” Nick asked just as he shut off the car.

“Of course. It’s the farthest away from home I’ve been besides on tours, but I could never get rid of my mom for long. I know this is temporary, but I’m trying to enjoy it as much as I can while I can,” I admitted closing my eyes, but I forgot to do something.

My eyes snapped open and my shy side kicked in for once.

“Th-thanks-for bringing me out here,” I said sheepishly.

Nick scratched the back of his neck as a small smile appeared on his lips.

“It was no problem. I sometimes come out here to think,” he said with a hint of nervousness to his voice.

I raised a brow at his words as my curiosity was beginning to get the better of me. I felt like I was intruding on a place that was important to him. I honestly didn’t expect that to be said.

“I-I’m sorry. We can go somewhere else. I don’t want to intrude on a place this important to you,” I stammered.

“It’s fine. I came here because you needed to get away. Besides, I don’t mind sharing it with you,” he said his voice getting more normal than previously.

I placed my hand on his shoulder because I wanted to get his attention.

“I really am grateful you decided to bring me here,” I admitted.

He stared at me for a few seconds before speaking.

“What did you need to think about anyway?” he asked out of curiosity.

My hand dropped and my eyes avoided his as I contemplated whether or not to tell him.

Well, he did bring me to his thinking spot. The least I could do was tell him why I wanted to get away.

“There’s several reasons, actually,” I began, biting the bottom of my lip.

“We’ve got time. I told Kevin about where we went and he told my dad who agreed to cover for us for a while,” he said comfortingly.

A sigh of relief escaped me as I felt more comfortable at the news.

“My mom is an alcoholic and has been one since my dad died, but it got worse after my sister and I got into this industry. She is stricter on me than she is on Mel, my twin, and after that phone call from her, demanding me to come home, I had to get away,” I explained.

Nick oddly remained silent as he stared at me, his eyes urging me to continue if there was more.

“And… when I met you guys, after lunch, but during your phone call, Joe-he tried to hit on me,” I got out.

“Tried to hit on you? I know Joe’s a flirt, but it’s not like he tried to kiss-,” he began, but when I didn’t object to his words, he got angry.

“Are you kidding me?! Damn it, Joe!” he exclaimed angrily hitting the steering wheel.

“I’m not angry at you. I’m angry at Joe. He had no right to act like that,” he said after a few minutes of silence.

“It’s fine. When you opened the door, it stopped him so that helped,” I got out with a slight laugh.

“Did-did you want him to kiss you?” Nick asked catching me off guard entirely.

“Not really. I just couldn’t move because I was in shock,” I answered honestly.

“So if someone else kissed you, you would have been OK with it?” he asked causing me to raise my brow in confusion.

“Depends on who it-,” I got out before Nick kissed me on the lips.

My eyes rolled to the back of my head as a strong spark filled me from the feeling of Nick’s lips on mine. Of course, I had to have control more than he did.

I pulled away (reluctantly) as the realistic side took over.

“Nick stop. I’m not Miley-,” I began, but he cut across me.

“I know, I’m sorry,” he said quickly, running a hand through his hair.

“Just take me home, please,” I got out causing tension to fill between us.

A sigh escaped him before the ignition started and we drove back to town.

I didn’t want Nick to take me home because he kissed me; I wanted him to take me home to prevent myself from losing control and things going further than either of us wanted them to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated again! What did you guys think about this chapter?

Please don't forget to comment, recommend, and subscribe.