Status: First main; Very slowly active

Hutch or Peck?

Chapter 9

Almost an hour passed and the photo shoot was finally coming to an end. I wanted to get on Peck about his comment earlier about how Hutch and I interacted with the first outfits we had on, but I had forgotten all about it as I redressed in the outfit I wore when I got to the hotel deciding to purchase the outfits I wore at the shoot as well.

Hutch showed up as I began ruffling my hair a little bit just as I relaxed and smiled, a slight laugh escaping him.

“What’s so funny?” I asked throwing a fake scowl at him.

“You’re fixing your hair as though you need to,” he answered simply.

I shrugged, smiling from embarrassment at his comment as a blush crept to my cheeks.

“Are you doing anything tonight?” he asked suddenly catching me off guard.

Monica, whom was holding the outfits, stifled a snicker as my mouth hung open from the question bringing me back to reality. I shot her a look before diverting my attention to Hutch. I opened my mouth to speak, but Peck cut across me.

“You did a wonderful job, guys,” Peck gushed, embracing me in an all-too-friendly hug.

Did I mention that it seemed like he was forcing himself to hug me? He didn't remove his arm from around my shoulders so I pried from his grasp.

“Well, I don’t-,” I began, but Peck cut across me again.

“Don’t you have to meet up with Sam at the studio?” he asked.

I glared at Peck before finally getting anything out. Forcing a smile to my lips, I said to Hutch, “Could you excuse us for a minute? I have to talk to Peck really fast,” before roughly pulling Peck by the arm.

Once we were out of earshot from Hutch and Monica, I talked in a harsh tone to Peck.

What is your problem?” I asked folding my arms across my chest.

“What do you mean what is my problem?” he asked as though he didn’t know what I was talking about.

“I mean your attitude today. First, during the photo shoot you said Hutch and I were acting lovey-dovey-which we weren’t- and then you prevented me from answering Hutch’s question,” I ranted.

Peck had an are-you-serious look on his face before answering me.

“Look, I didn’t mean to be harsh nor offend you or Josh, but seriously, Mel? Him? I mean, look at him,” he answered staring at Hutch.

My eyes followed his and landed on Hutch whom was talking to Monica. They must have been having a good conversation or knew we were talking about him because a few seconds after we stared at him, he stared back shooting a smile at me before diverting his attention back on Monica. I rolled my eyes at Peck.

“What’s wrong with him?” I asked in confusion.

“He’s like 2 years younger than you and besides, you’re too mature for him,” he answered, but it sounded forced.

A scoff escaped me.

“So what? Allison is the same age as me yet you’re dating her! Why can’t I at least give Hutch a shot?” I retorted, but it slipped out.

“I know Allison a lot more than you know that guy-hell, I've known her longer than you've known him!” he said incredulously.

“So what?! He’d be a lot better than dating any old random person. Besides, he’s a great guy and hasn't really dated many people in the industry. We get along and everything. Why is this such a big issue for you?” I asked getting to the heart of it all.

My words completely stumped Peck. We stood in silence for a few seconds before he just blew up.

“FINE! IF YOU WANT TO DATE HIM, GO RIGHT AHEAD!” he bellowed before storming off.

Alarmed at his tone since it was the first time Peck had ever yelled at me, I stared after him just as Hutch came to my side along with Monica.

“Are you alright? What just happened?” Hutch asked before Monica could.

“N-Nothing. We just argued, that’s all,” I partially lied.

I gently took the outfits from Monica before heading back downstairs to the car. Soon enough, I heard footsteps indicating Hutch was following me.

“Wait, wait! Mel! Melanie!” he called, but Peck’s words went through my mind again.

FINE! IF YOU WANT TO DATE HIM, GO RIGHT AHEAD!

The tears filled in my eyes as my mind couldn't accept the unknown reason as to why Peck was angry at me. I swiftly pulled out my phone and got ready to dial my mom’s speed dial, but Hutch stopped me. He didn't knock my phone out of my hands, he didn't even grab me to go anywhere; all he did was swiftly embraced me in a hug.

All I could do was cry for the second time in the last 24 hours. Why was Peck so angry with me?

I let the outfits drop out of my hands and wrapped my arms around Hutch as my fingers gripped his shirt as though for dear life as the sobs escaped my lips.

~~~~~~~

The brothers and I made it to a nearby McDonald’s (go figure) and oddly enough were able to not get spotted already. We were all at the register inside instead of going through the drive-thru. Kevin and Joe made their orders, leaving Nick and I to make our orders last.

“Ladies first,” Nick said gently causing me to blush.

Wait. Did I just blush?

“I’ll have two McDouble’s, a medium order of fries, and a medium drink, please,” I said to the cashier whom was a guy named Jesse.

He was the same height of Kevin, but had blue, piercing eyes and short hair that was cut to his ears. He stared at me with such intensity that when he spoke, I was creeped out.

“Will that be for here or to go?” he asked casually.

“For here,” I answered, the same as Joe and Kevin’s responses, but Nick decided to speak.

“That’s not all,” he said suddenly.

“Oh, OK,” Jesse said clearing his throat slightly.

“I’ll have a salad, two McChickens, and a medium drink, please,” Nick said without hesitating.

“For here as well?” Jesse asked as though he didn't want to.

“Yes, please,” Nick answered politely.

“OK, that’ll be a total of $11.56,” Jesse said his eyes flickering back to me.

“OK,” I said casually. I reached in my purse to pull out my wallet, but Nick beat me to it, pulling out his own credit card, swiftly swiping it through the card slider.

I shot him a look, taken aback by his actions entirely.

The sound of the register spitting out the receipt brought me out of my thoughts and Nick politely thanked Jesse, the order number completely escaping me. I decided to round on him once we walked over to the waiting area, but didn't have the chance to speak.

“Joe, why don’t you and Sam have a seat? Nick and I will get the food,” Kevin said suddenly.

“Sure, you know I want Hi-C, sprite, and Fruitopia, right?” Joe asked receiving a look from Kevin.

“Sure, Joe,” Kevin answered.

“I’ll just have Fruitopia,” I told Nick who nodded.

Joe and I found a booth farthest from the register and when we sat down, he spoke.

“Sheesh, that guy was rude!” he said suddenly catching me off guard.

“What guy?” I asked in confusion.

“You didn't feel that guy staring at you as we were walking to the table?” he asked incredulously.

I stared back at Jesse whom was tending to the food and then my eyes drifted to Nick and Kevin both of which were in deep conversation about something. I guess they knew I was staring because after a few moments, Kevin looked in my direction and then turned to Nick who turned and smiled at me just as Jesse came to them with the food.

“The cashier? No, no. He wasn't checking me out, Joe,” I said defensively as a laugh escaped me.

Please. He was staring at you like you were a piece of fresh meat,” Joe replied casually just as the other two joined us.

“And if he would have tried anything, we would have put him in his place,” Nick said causing me to scoff.

“That guy was not checking me out,” I denied.

Suddenly, Jesse came over to our table with my cup which coincidentally wasn't on the tray.

“Hi, Miss. You forgot your cup,” he said with the medium cup which ironically had a sticky note under the bottom.

He winked at me before going back to the counter. Shocked, I picked up the paper, Kevin bursting out laughing as I stared back at Jesse.

“Now do you believe me?” Joe asked with a huge smile as he stifled a laugh.

I rolled my eyes at his question before getting up to get my drink. Nick decided to follow me.

“So, what are you gonna do?” he asked catching me off guard.

A small sigh escaped me before I answered.

“I have to tell him that I’m not interested. I’m a celebrity, after all,” I answered blatantly.

“R-really? I was just making sure-since he was being weird and all,” he stammered causing me to laugh lightly at Nick’s nervousness.

He was being protective of me. It was cute.

“Well, let’s head back to the table and stuff our faces,” I said before taking him by the hand and led him back to the table.

Oddly enough, it wasn't the jokes that made me have a good time with the brothers then; it was the fact that for the first time in my life, I was working with musicians who understood and accepted me for who I was even though they didn't know much about me.

I was at peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it's been a long time since I previously updated.

Please don't forget to comment, recommend, and subscribe. :)

The next update hopefully won't take as long as this one did.