Sequel: Amber Eyed Angel
Status: Updating slowly - your patienceis appreciated.

Silver Tongued Devil With Emerald Eyes

Chapter 20 - Seeing the sights

She was feeling good about everything. Loki seemed to be enjoying himself and she had not seen any sign of his darker side. When he was like this it was so much easier to see the person that Thor and Frigga had spoken of. It seems more likely that she might be able to bring back that man as she was finding him very likeable and much preferable to his evil twin.
He was leading her out of her home and she was already making plans on where to take him. She was feeling more comfortable with him so she took his hand into hers. He didn't seem to mind and she found it strangely comforting. It made her feel safe which she knew was ridiculous as he was the one who had caused the recent chaos in the city.
“I think it's time that you show me more of this realm.” He told her.
“Then I will take you to a caffeine the town centre, well close to the town centre. There are areas that are still off limits due to the damage.”
She knew that it was a risk taking him to the busiest part of town, but he seemed sue that his disguise was impenetrable. She also wanted to take him to some of her favourite places and the coffee shop was one of them.
He simply nodded in acceptance so she got them a cab. The ride was spent in silence. He seemed to be in deep thought so she left him to his thoughts while watching him. Her thoughts were interrupted by the voice of the cab driver.
“I'm afraid I'll have to drop you here Miss, only foot traffic is allowed beyond this point. They're still clearing the streets.”
That made sense; there was still a lot of cleaning up that had to be done.
“That's fine; we'll be able to walk from here.”
The driver stopped and she paid him. Loki got out first and held his hand out to him so as to help here to exit the vehicle. He was always impeccably mannered, when he wasn't in one of his darker moods. It was a nice change to have a man be so attentive and she found that she liked being treated like a lady. She smiled at him feeling happy and content.
Somewhere far in the recesses of her brain a little voice was yelling that she was a fool to be so trusting of him, but she refused to let the voice sway her. He had not let her hand go and she liked the wa hers felt in his, it gave her a sense of security.
He was looking at her intently.
“You seem very happy today.” He noted.
As she thought about his words she realized that she was indeed happy. How strange, it was not a feeling that she expected to have in her current situation, but she decided to just go with it. Life was too short to second guess everything so she just smiled at him.

“I am, it's a wonderful day and we are out and about. I like my home, but I often wander around or go the park to read. Sometimes I just like to sit and watch what others are up to. My home is my sanctuary, but eve a sanctuary can become stifling.” She told him.

He seemed to assess her words before making a reply.

“Especially when your sanctuary has been invaded by a monster. “ He said.

His words hit her like cold water and she could feel her stomach drop and guilt took a hold of her. He had taken her words wrong; she hadn't meant that he was the cause for her home being stifling.

It was true that he had invaded her home and her life and although she was feeling more at ease with him, she wasn't stupid enough to think that he was tamed. He would never be tamed, his feelings may be tempered but he will always be Loki and he will always do what he wants. Yet she didn't think he was a monster.

“I'm sorry Loki; I did not mean to say that you were stifling me. I simply meant it as a general observation. I would often feel like this even before you came to my home.” She told him sincerely. She needed him to believe her.

For a moment his expression didn't change, but then she saw his lips twitch slightly and his eyes seemed to twinkle just a little. She could sense amusement even though she knew he was trying to hide his amusement.

“You are truly a strange mortal.” He said.

That was not what she had expected him to say.

“Why do you say that? I'm just average. There is nothing strange about me.”

He gave her another strange look.

“That is where you are wrong.”

He didn't say anything further and she knew that he wouldn't elaborate any further.

“What have you planned for us?” He asked.

She decided to drop the subject and smiled up at him.

She was kind of excited for this outing. She had decided that she would take him to one of her favourite coffee shops.

“There is a little coffee shop that serves the greatest croissants along with the best coffee you'll ever have. It isn't far from here and I'm hoping that it didn't get damaged in the attack.

She knew there was a chance that it had sustained some damage as it was quite close to were the major fighting had taken place. Loki didn't reply but he was carefully observing everything around him with a slight frown evident on his handsome face. She idly wondered what he looked like to others and wondered if he would show her what others saw when they looked at him.

Cleaning operations were in full swing. She knew from the news that contractors and people from all over the country had volunteered to help rebuild. There was nothing like a major strike to a popular city to bring people together.

She smiled when she saw the shop. It seemed that it hadn’t been damaged too badly or if it had it had already been repaired. She looked at Loki. He had a slight frown on his face and she sensed a feeling of discontent emanating from him.

“We’re here.” She said, bringing his attention back to her.
His gaze shifted from her and over to their surroundings. His gaze stopped when it came to the Stark building and a slight scowl appeared on his face.

She didn’t want him upset, perhaps it hadn’t been such a good idea to bring him here, she could always just get them a take out if he didn’t want to stay here.

She tugged at his hand lightly to get his attention.

“I’m sorry, if you feel uncomfortable being so close to Stark tower we can always just get a takeaway and move to the park. “ She suggested.
He smiled down at her.

“Fear not Angel, I have no qualms about being here. The spell on me cannot be pierced and no one will recognise me.”

She just nodded. He was confident in his disguise and as long as he wasn’t uncomfortable then she had no problems. She moved to her favourite table outside.

“I hope you don’t mind sitting outside. I enjoy watching the people around me. I find them fascinating.”

“No, not at all, I would like to observe as well.” He answered.

She had thought that he would be one of those people who liked to watch others. She took her seat and waited. She smiled as one of her favourite waitresses approached them.

“Good morning Angel. I haven’t seen you in a while.” The girl said as she reached their table. She was smiling.

“Hello Monica, yes it has been a while. I hope you’re well, what with all the excitement and action that happened here.” She replied, smiling back at her.

“Yes I’m doing fine. Luckily we came through the whole ordeal with little damage. We lost some windows and some of our furniture had to be replaced, but luckily Mr. Stark helped us to recover. He comes here often for coffee. He said he couldn’t have his favourite coffee shop in shambles.” She replied with a smile.

That had been very kind of Mr. Stark. She thought.

“Were you here when the attack happened?” She asked with worry. She didn’t like to think that this girl that had become a sort of friend had been in danger.

The dark shadows that entered her eyes told her that she had indeed been here.

“Yes, it was terrifying. Those aliens were horrible. It was like nothing I have ever experienced. I never thought that I would experience something like that. Seeing a war zone on television or reading about it in the papers just does not prepare you for the true horror of something like that.”

She felt sad that she had to go through that. It had clearly had a big impact on her. She was normally a very cheerful person, but she could see that she was a little more serious now. There was something in her eyes that indicated that she had been through a life changing event.

“I’m sorry Monica, but I’m so happy that you are all right.”
Monica gave her a sad smile. “I am too, I’m just sad that not everyone was that lucky. Just here a little boy watched as his mother was killed in front of him. He was only 5 years old.” Tears were glistening in her eyes.

Angels heart clenched in her chest. He had known that people had died, but it was only now that she realized that not all of the victims ot this had been grownups. It was horrifying to think that there could have been little children that were killed.

Monica kept talking. “He kept calling to her not understanding. He was not the only one who lost a loved one. We’ve set up a little memorial for those who died here.”

She glanced in the direction Monica was indicating. Not far from where they were sitting, close to the door of the shop was a brass plaque inlaid into the wall.

There were flowers beneath it and in little flower holders fixed to the wall. Names had been engraved into the plaque.

Melissa Heartly – 28
Jason Kingsley – 19
Eve Mitchell – 3
Karen Aldridge – 14
Andrew Mitchell – 31

A knot had grown in her stomach as she read each name. Reality was sinking in. This was the fault of the man sitting here with her. Did she really think that she could change him? Did it even bother him that children had been killed in his mad quest for conquest?

She looked at him. His face was a blank mask, but she sensed that he wasn’t as indifferent as he appeared.
She turned back to the memorial. A sad looking man walked up to the cafe door with a little boy at his side holding his hand. The boy was carrying a white rose and a small teddy bear. As they neared the plaque the man helped the boy to place the rose in the flower holder next to the name of Melissa Heartly.

They were close enough to hear them as the little boy spoke.

“Will Momma be okay Daddy?” He asked in his childish voice.

His words caused an ache in her heart. The look of sorrow on his fathers face told her how much he was struggling yet he was trying to be strong for his son.

“You’re mother will be fine son.” His voice was rough with held back emotion.

“But Daddy, she’s all alone. Who will hold her when she’s sad?”

She couldn’t stop the tears from forming at that. After all that he had seen, he was worried about his mother. She remembered her own mothers loss and felt ashamed that she had only been thinking of her own sorrow. His loss had been no less and yet his only thought was that he didn’t want her to be lonely.

The father could not keep back the tears any more and they started to roll down his cheeks. The boy looked up at his father and reached up and took his father’s hand in his small one.

“Don’t cry Daddy, I’ll leave Fred here for her, then she won’t be alone.” The boy placed the little bear below the plaque. His father picked him up and gave him a hug.

“That’s a great idea sport. I’m sure your mommy will be glad to have him. Let’s go now son.”

She kept quite and turned to watch Loki’s face. He didn’t look like a killer. She knew logically that he was capable of killing. He had lead the attack and therefore all the deaths lay at his door even though he had not killed them personally.

As she watched she caught fleeting glances of emotion in his eyes. She doubted that she would have seen them if she had not been looking closely. This strange connection of theirs also helped as she sensed the feelings he was trying to hide. The strongest of these were self-loathing.
Monica broke the strained silence. “Poor little guy. I’m sorry; can I bring you your usual?”

She didn’t feel like eating anymore, but they were here anyway.

“Yes thank you Monica, we’ll both have one of my regulars.”

She turned back to Loki, but he was refusing to meet her gaze. She felt saddened. He was normally so full of confidence and for him to not be able to face her felt wrong. Finally he turned to her.

His eyes were dull and she could see that hidden pain all too well.

“So now you see for yourself the horror that I am capable of, the monster that is hidden by this outward veneer of civility.” His tone was self derogatory and filled with bitterness.

He truly thought himself a monster which only made her realize that he knew all too well that what he had done was wrong and that although he hid it or was perhaps denying the fact, he most definitely was not the lost cause that he thought he was.

She could only look at him with sadness. His choices had been all wrong and she wondered what had led to this. His family painted a picture of a mischievous but not cruel person. What could have caused him to go off the deep end like that?

“Do you still thing that a bargain with me is advisable?” He asked.

She did not reply immediately. She wanted to think her answer through so that she didn’t say anything wrong.
She looked around at the chaos around them and then spoke.

“I don’t think you really wanted this to happen. The fact that you seem upset by what you just witnessed now tells me that you were not all there when you attacked the city. That does not excuse what you have done, but someday I would like to hear your side of the story.”

Cynical laughter met her words.

“You would listen to the words of the master deceiver, the Lie smith? Do you not know that I am not known for my honesty? You are a fool.”

His words hurt, but she realized that it was his own loathing being projected onto her. He was expecting her to push him away and hate him. That had probably happened a lot in his life. He was the god of Lies so everyone assumed that he was lying. When was the last time someone actually listened and believed his words?

“I would listen and give you the benefit of the doubt, if that makes me a fool so be it. My father used to say that not everything could be seen as black and white. The sad reality is that life sometimes life has shades of grey. There are very few things in this world that are truly evil; I choose to believe that you may have been caught up in matters beyond your control. I’m willing to wait for you to come to me.”

A strange look crossed his face. She couldn’t quite place it, but he didn’t say anything further so she left him to his thoughts.

Monica returned with their order and they ate their breakfast in silence. She kept her silence and concentrated on her food.

She heard a cheerful voice speak up.

“Well hello there my lovely, aren’t you happy to see your favourite Avenger?”

She tensed up. It was just their luck that one of the Avengers would show up here and not just any Avenger but it had to be Tony Stark. Loki turned towards the sound of the voice and when he stiffened up she immediately knew something was wrong.

The next voice she heard nearly gave her a heart attack.

“Good morrow Lady Monica, it is good to see you again. We have come to sample some of your excellent fare.”

Thor! Why was he here? He should be in Asgard. This was not good. What if he recognised her? She had to get out of here, before she was seen. Loki still did not trust her enough to believe her and even if he did he was still unstable enough to over react.

“Rafe I think we should go.” She tried hard not to let her nervousness show in her voice but she knew that she had failed when he looked at her sharply.

“They will not recognize me Angel. You have no need to fear.”

The panic she felt was rising.

“Still let’s just go.” She replied and placed payment for their food and a tip on the table.

He was looking at her with rising suspicion, but he followed her when she got up and she grabbed his hand thankful that he wasn’t protesting. She tried not to rush, but she just wanted to get away from the shop without being seen.

A booming voice froze her heart.

“My Lady Angel!” Thor greeted and her heart sank.
Behind her Loki had frozen mid step. She glanced back at him. She did not like the look in his eyes. They were practically glowing with rage. She gave him a pleading look, begging him to give her a chance to explain herself. She tugged his arm lightly.

He started walking again, this time he was leading her. His grip on her hand had tightened and his pace was fast and she was struggling to keep up with him. He led them into an alley and as soon as they were out of sight he pulled her against him.

The next moment everything blurred and she felt a horrible wrenching of her entire being. There was a moment of darkness and then she was back in her apartment. He had let go of her, but she couldn’t keep standing and fell to her knees.

Her head was killing her so she clutched it between her hands. After a while she was feeling a little better.

“Loki I ...” She started to look up at him, but hesitated as she saw the raw rage on his face. “I can explain.”

His voice held venom as he spat his words at her.

“Explain what? How you had tricked me, planned to betray me? It was very clever I must admit. You had me fooled, but no more.”

She had to make him listen.

“No Loki that was not it at all, I promise! Loki please give me a chance to explain. I know what it looks like, but it truly is not what you think.”

She tried to show him with her voice that she was being sincere, looking into his eyes and refusing to look away. She was afraid. He was coldly furious and she didn’t know what to expect from him.

He was quite for a while.

“Pray tell me then, but know this; I will know if you lie.”
She finally got up from the ground slowly. Her legs were still unsteady as she made it over to her chair. Her head still ached and she felt disorientated.

“Please sit down and just listen.” She was pleading with him.

He took a seat facing her with narrowed eyes. She breathed a steadying breath and then looked him directly in the eye, not wanting him to feel like she was trying to hide anything from him.

“I do know Thor, not very well as I had only met him recently. I think that spell that you used has had some after effects. I think the first thing that I noticed was that I could sometimes pick up on your emotions.”

He was frowning and she knew that he didn’t like where this was going.

“Explain.”

“Sometimes it was like I could feel what you were thinking. I couldn’t exactly read your mind, but I got impressions. Then when I had the hypothermia I had what I thought was a dream, but I think it was more like astral projection.”

He was frowning again and that did not reassure her.

“That was the night you asked me about astral projection.” He said. She could hear the anger in his voice. Instead of calming him the opposite was happening.

“Where did you go?”

“I think it was your home. I was in a room with a man and a woman. The woman was beautiful. I know it wasn’t anywhere on earth as the room we were in was golden and both of them exuded the same aura that you have. I knew that they weren’t human.”

“Describe them.”

His tone was so cold.

“The woman was stunningly beautiful, but not in a cruel or cold way. She had on a dress of what looked like gold silk. She had golden blonde hair, done up in a very regal manner. I got a feeling that she was very motherly and loving. The man was very intimidating. He had golden robes and a golden eye patch. He exuded an aura of power that was quite intimidating and exuded an aura of power that was very overpowering.”

Loki’s voice was controlled but anger throbbed in it.

“Frigga and Odin. They did not see you?”

She shook her head.

“That does not explain how you know my brother.”

This was the part that she dreaded. She just knew that he would take this the wrong way. She tensed and began to shake with anxiousness.

“Please know that I didn’t do it on purpose. It just happened, I didn’t mean to.”

His face grew darker and by now his anger was like a dark aura around him.

“Just out with it woman.” He growled at her.

“I know you travelled to Asgard last night, I was with you. I don’t know how or why but It happened as we were falling to sleep. I felt a pulling sensation and then I was floating above the bed. I could feel you somewhere near me but I couldn’t actually see you. I felt a another pulling sensation and when it faded we were in the palace. I could feel you but I couldn't see you so I followed you. No one was able to see me. We finally came to a room where your mother and Thor were sitting. After a while you left, but I wanted to stay and listen to them some more.”

His frown deepened.

“This still does not explain how you know my brother.”
This was the part she knew would upset him the most.

“After you moved away I walked into the room and your mother saw me. I don’t know how, nobody else could. Thor saw me as well.”

If at all possible his voice reached arctic levels. She couldn’t take much more of this tension. He was like a bomb just waiting to go off. She was having trouble getting her voice to work. This only served to make him even more suspicious

“You conversed with them.” He gritted out through tight lips.

“Yes.” She replied softly.

He moved so fast she didn’t have time to even flinch. In a moment his hands were on her shoulders and he pulled her up roughly, shaking her.”

“What did you tell them?”

She was starting to panic and she couldn’t get her voice to work. She was sure that he was going to kill her. This was the worst that she had seen him yet. His anger was a physical force lashing out at her. Unfortunately her failure to answer him caused him to react. She felt his hand close around her throat and she whimpered in fear still unable to get the words out.

Panic flooded her and she knew that she had to get out of there, but how. She wanted to go somewhere safe, she was thinking about the last time she felt completely safe and for some reason her mother popped into her mind.

Suddenly she was filled with a strange tingling that felt like static electricity. It flowed all over her body and then concentrated in her mind. With a blinding burst everything around her disappeared.
♠ ♠ ♠
I humbly ask for forgiveness. It's been 2 months since my last update. I can only say that things at work have been hectic and the long hours coupled with my systemic lupis, made for a very tired woman. I had neither the energy nor the inspiration to do much.
I'd like to say that this story will not be following the Thor 2 story line as far as I know (I have yet to watch it). This should be spoiler free so read and enjoy. The next update will be along soon.