Status: Complete: May 3rd, 2013 :)

I Think I Love You

I Used To Believe In A Little Thing Called Love

Once I finally stopped crying, I took off my engagement ring. I had the ring on a pillow in front of me, staring at it's beauty and the meaning behind it. At first, it meant that two strangers would come together in marriage. Over time, it started to mean that those two friends would have the chance to grow and change together. At last, it meant that two people who loved each other very much would begin their life together. Now it just meant that both halves of the relationship hide behind broken smiles, while they really want out. Well, I assume he wants out. Why else would he betray me like that?

I had already planned out everything in my head. First, I'd talk to Abby about what had happened between Ez and Valerie. I'd tell them that I felt hurt and couldn't go through with the marriage. They'd send me home, and life would resume as if I had never moved out here to California. The only problem would be the memories that we all carried. They would hopefully fade over time. Ez would marry Valerie and he'd get the family he wants. I would find my true love and we would settle down somewhere by the ocean. I wouldn't keep in touch with either of the Spencers, only to save myself heartache.

I was lost in thought, so the knock on my locked door startled me. "Who is it?" I asked, even though I pretty much already knew.

"It's Ez. Why is your door locked?" I had to make up my mind right then and there. I could scream until my throat hurt or I could act as if I knew nothing. I figured screaming would ruin any chance I had of going home, so no matter how much it hurt, I had to act like I was in the dark. I opened the door and smiled at him.

"Sorry, I was just changing. What's up?" I asked. He came into my room and flopped down on my bed.

"Come cuddle with me," he said. I didn't want to. I didn't want to be near him, let alone let him touch me. I most definitely did not want his lips on mine, after being on hers.

"Actually, I have to talk to your mom. Is she home yet?" I asked. Abby had gone to pick up some groceries.

"Yeah, she's downstairs. Why do you need to talk to her?" Quick, think of an excuse!

"Oh, you know. Girl stuff." He smiled and said,

"I'll be up here waiting." I smiled back, as genuinely as possible. I saw it on his face though, he knew it was fake.

I went downstairs in search of Abby, and found her in the kitchen sipping something. "Hey, Abby," I said. She turned and smiled at me.

"Hey, Nikki. What's up?" I went over and sat next to her.

"We need to talk about this marriage." Her smile dropped.

"What about it?"

"It's not going to happen."

"What do you mean? You seemed so happy earlier."

"Yeah, I was. That was until I saw Ez kissing Valerie. To be honest, I think he still loves her." Abby's face turned bright red.

"I knew she was no good!"

"Abby, I just want to go home. Let Ez and Valerie be together. It's obviously what they want."

"Nikki, in any other circumstance, I'd tell you to suck it up and move on. That's not the case here. I see how much pain your in, and I understand if you want to go home."

"Really?"

"Yes. I'll go online tonight and get a ticket to send you home." I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Thank you, Abby. Oh, and by the way, he doesn't know that I know. So, if we could keep this between us, that would be great."

"Don't worry, honey. I won't tell anyone." I hugged her, then went back up to my room. Ez was still there, waiting. I climbed in the bed next to him and he said,

"I missed you."

"I missed you, too," I lied. He rolled over so that he was facing me, and pulled me close to his body. He rubbed my back, which gave me goosebumps. Not the good kind either. All I could think about was him imagining Valerie. He leaned in to kiss me, but I just couldn't do it. I got up and grabbed my keys, then went out to my car. He followed me, calling my name. I didn't answer him though because I knew as soon as I opened my mouth, I would crack. Strong girls don't crack. I'm a strong girl.

I ended up going to the park and sitting on the swingset. I looked at all the pictures on my phone. Most of them were of Ez and I, the happy times. That was when I was sure I was the only one he loved. When all I wanted to do was have him near me. Now, I can't stand the sight of him. I left my photo album, and dialed daddy's number.

"Hello?" he answered on the third ring.

"Hey, daddy." I was right. My voice broke.

"What's wrong, honey?"

"The wedding's off and I'm coming home."

"Wait, what? What do you mean the wedding's off?"

"I saw Ez kissing his ex-girlfriend, Valerie. I talked to Abby and she said she's going to send me home."

"Aw, honey. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault. It's mine."

"Don't blame yourself, Nikki. It's Ezekiel's fault. If he doesn't realize what a great person you are, he doesn't deserve you."

"Thanks, daddy."

"Well, I can't wait to see you."

"Me either. I'll call you when I know the time and flight number."

"Okay, honey. I love you."

"I love you, too." The line went dead, so I hung up. I closed my eyes and rested my head on the chain. Someone pushed me from behind. I turned to see - none other than - Ezekiel Spencer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys, listen. I know you were hoping to see a wedding soon, followed by a happily ever after. Obviously, this story has some uhrm... twists? Yeah, that's the word. So, stay tuned! You never know what might happen!