The Trinity

The Watch

I didn’t see Evan again until the next Monday—exactly one week after I had seen him last. Every day until then I would hurry to the Chemistry lab hoping he would be sitting on the back table where I could join him, unfortunately that wasn’t the case. But there he was on Monday morning.

“Where have you been?” I asked him.

“Home,” he replied in his typical sing-song manner. I didn’t question him, but I didn’t begin to wonder how he planned on completing the school year—his attendance was terrible. I didn’t say anything though.

The Professor began the lesson, explaining a chemistry concept that I didn’t understand at all.

“Do you get this?” he asked me.

“No,” I said, laughing.

“Come over to my house, after school is over. I’ll help you,”

“Okay,” I said, surprised. I hadn’t been to another student’s house that entire year.

I had friends—but few of them attended Cross Academy.

He handed me a sheet of paper with writing on it.

“This is my address, just put it into your cart navigator after class,” I nodded.

The rest of the day went on in a very traditional manner—after Chemistry I headed to language arts, my best subject, but a total bore. Then mathematics, followed by social studies. If I am being honest, I never enjoyed day school. Class with Evan was the definitive highlight of my day. I was a pompous sixteen year old, and the majority of people whose paths I crossed were extremely dull in my eyes. Evan was not in the slightest.

I hurried to my cart after social studies and put in the address, it was a street I had never heard of.
I set the speed to 50MPH, but it still took me about ten minutes to arrive, it was south of the Cross Academy, while my home was north. It wasn’t a huge home—it was in a somewhat occupied neighborhood.

It was actually sort of an old fashioned home—made of bricks. I parked my cart on the road, and walked up the steps. It was one of those houses that had many cement steps leading up to the doorway, but the house itself was of average size—on the smaller side, even. I think the large set of stairs made the house seem smaller.

I nervously knocked on the door. I was never too comfortable knocking on someone’s door for the first time—you could never be sure who was going to answer. The idea of speaking with his anyone’s parents made my skin crawl.

It took several moments, but finally I heard some running toward the door. The door creaked open slightly, and I saw Evan’s wide-eyed face staring at me, and then he flew the door open.

“Hey,” he said nonchalantly greeting me.

“Hey,” I replied.

“Come on in,” he said, swinging his arm. It was a two story home—the main floor and the basement. The stairs that led to the basement were practically right in front of you as you walked in. Evan rambunctiously jumped down the stairs, and I followed hesitantly.

I noticed an older boy sitting on the couch. He looked like he was eighteen or nineteen, and he looked sort of similar to Evan. He had similar features but lacked the boyish charm that Evan was full of. While Evan’s face was constantly changing colors and expressions, this boy’s face was blank. He had much shorter hair than Evan unlike Evan's shag, his was short and perfectly spiked up--though it was also black. He shared Evan's olive skin tone and small dark eyes. He was wearing glasses.

“Meet my brother,” Evan said in his typical way, motioning toward the boy. The boy didn’t look up. He was tapping away on his computer, until Evan promptly slammed a pillow against his head.

“Evan,” the boy said, clearly irritated.

“Meet my friend!” Evan said to him, looking at me. I was very uncomfortable.

“Greetings, I am Braxton.” He said to me. I nodded.

“My name’s Caine.” I said quietly.

He immediately looked back to his computer. He was typing, and his typing skills were superior to anyone I had ever seen. I glanced at the screen of his computer—it was tilted so he could type, rather than just browse. It was a bunch of code.

“Na-, Evan,” he said to Evan.

“What?” Evan said in an almost sassy tone.

“I need to speak with you upstairs for a moment.”

Evan sighed and followed Braxton upstairs quickly.

I didn’t know what to make of Braxton, it was an extremely uncomfortable situation. I was definitely under the impression that he was not okay with my presence, and I kind of understood. I don’t like strangers lingering around in my home, but the difference was, I thought, I had some tact.

I sat down on the sofa. Braxton had brought his computer tablet with him, but left he had left a wrist-watch sitting on the coffee table.

It was a beautiful watch, truthfully. I sat and admired what I assumed was pure gold. My knowledge on jewelry was limited, but I could tell it was quality. It was one of the most exquisite things I had ever seen.

They were up there doing God knows what for about five minutes at that point—and admiring the watch got old. I mentally dared myself to fidget around with it, I started by gently tapping the glass. Several more minutes passed, and I was getting more and more daring due to the boredom. I also figured the situation had already become uncomfortable, and if caught I didn’t really have anything to lose.

I decided to try the watch on. I set my eyes on the passageway incase Braxton and Evan appeared and started heading downstairs. I gently placed the watch on my wrist. It was truly beautiful. I glanced down at it, noticing it was several minutes off. I wondered if I had accidentally changed the time setting. It took me a moment to realize it was an old fashioned kind of watch that you couldn’t adjust by tapping the screen—you had to lift the microscopic dial off the top and turn.

I tapped the glass quickly three times, attempting to adjust the time, but instead one of the most startling things I had experienced up until that point hit me. The feeling was similar to having just been in some sort of crash, I felt a great force, but I was confined to the area I was sitting in. I experienced minor whiplash.

I didn’t have a clue what it was, but I figured it was some sort of earthquake. I realize what I described does not sound anything like an earthquake, but it was all I could figure.

The room was filled with smoke, and I couldn’t see anything. While coughing, I stared trying to wave the smoke out of the air, and I began to realize that I did not recognize my surroundings in the slightest. I was not in Evan Hart’s basement.

The smoke evaporated within minutes, and I was overcome with an intense feeling of dread. I figured I was dead and on my way to hell. The place I was in now was a spacious room, with an extremely tall ceiling. The walls were pure white, and the floor was black and some sort of marble. I looked up, and directly in front of me stood the most enormous elevator I had ever seen.

I spent moments considering my options, and decided to press the button. Within seconds the doors opened, and there stood a stone-faced Braxton and Evan who was giggling outrageously. His face was red. Braxton ripped the watch off my wrist.

“Get in.” he said.