A Thousand Diamonds

Surrender

Zach’s POV:

She can’t just walk off from me like that. Especially to this guy.

“You need to leave.” I say to him.

“No, Teal needs a friend right now and that’s what I’m going to be.”

“It’s okay, Gage, you can go. He won’t hurt me.” Teal is crying but I won’t fall for it again.

“Call me if you need to talk. My number hasn’t changed and my wife isn’t jealous.” This guys glares at me as he walks off.

“Tell me about this Gage guy.”

“I broke up with him in high school. He cheated on me then he hit me. Secondhand Serenade gave me the strength to break up with him. I knew it was the right thing.” Now I feel like an ass again. I walk to hug her and she moves away from me.

“Teal, please forgive me.”

“No, Zach. We do this all the time and I’m sick of it!” We are standing on the beach across from each other but it feels like we’re so far apart. We're almost three years apart, but it feels like 20 and 23 are a huge age distance right now.

“We can’t fix this now, can we?” I ask her and her tears slow.

“No, I don’t think so.”

“Teal, please let me make this up to you.” I beg.

“You didn’t trust me, Zach! You thought I was cheating on you!” I see the pain in her eyes, where I used to see happiness and peace.

“And I shouldn’t have accused you, I’m sorry. Please tell me we can fix this.”

“I don’t know, Zach. I’ll see you when you get back from your tour.” She walks off. Gage walks up to me.

“You’ve screwed up bad, but I know Teal. When she was talking to me about you I saw a look on her face. I’ve only seen it one other time and that was when she loved me. Don’t let her get away. You should listen to that band she wants you to.”

“Thanks, man. I think I will and maybe it will help me get her back.”

“The only thing you can do is try.” He walks off and I’m left alone again. I go home and listen to every song they have ever sung. The last song really hits me.

“Cameron, Michael, we’re doing a cover song. Get over now and listen to it. We have some practice to do.” They run over.

“What’s up?” Cameron asks me.

“Teal and I may be over, but I have one thing to do to get her back. I can’t lose her this easy, not after everything we’ve been through. I accused her of cheating and I was so wrong to that.”

“You did what?!” Michael yells.

“Yeah, I know it was stupid now help me fix it.” Cameron grabs his bass and Michael gets behind the drums.

“Let’s perfect this song and get you your girlfriend back.” Cameron says and it’s good to have my friends in my band.

“I’m sorry, Teal.” I say under my breath.

**************************************