A Thousand Diamonds

An Expert At Sorry

Teal’s POV:

“The guys should be leaving for tour now.” Shelly says when we get up. It’s almost 10 in the morning. We were up until almost one. They stayed up with me while I cried and yelled.

“It’s about time.” I say.

“Uhm, Teal, Shel, come look at this video the guys just posted. You really need to see it.” Tanya yells from downstairs. My parents are in the kitchen around the laptop and I hear notes ending.

“What is it?” I ask.

“Just watch it.” Shelly and I move everyone out of the way.

“So, this song is special to me. It really hit home when I heard it. This band, and I’m guessing this song now, means a lot to my girlfriend. I screwed up and I’m sorry.” I hear Zach say and then Cameron and Michael start out the notes to Broken.

“They covered Secondhand Serenade for you!” Shelly yells when it’s over. I’m crying, but these tears are a nice change because I’m smiling.

“Yeah, they did. Zach finally listened to them for me.” It still hurts that it took so long and he didn’t trust me.

“You don’t forgive him yet, do you?” Tanya asks me.

“No, not yet.”

“He really hurt you didn’t he?” Shelly asks.

“I hate this. Look how sweet this video is. Shouldn’t I forgive him?”

“Maybe you should but it’s up to you.” My dad says. I read some of the comments.

“If you don’t want him, I’ll take him.”

“Take him back, Teal!” It’s bad when the fans use your name.

“Forgive the poor guy.” I see the next comment is from the band.

“Please forgive me, Blue –ZP.” My heart sinks and I slam the laptop shut.

“I can’t do this.” Shelly and Tanya run upstairs after me.

“The comment from him?” Tanya asks.

“I just don’t believe this. How could he have screwed up so bad that he had to resort to this?” I ask them and neither girl has an answer.

“We’re going to let you think about it. You need to be alone right now.”

“Girls, don’t go. I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m left alone.”

“We’ll be right downstairs.” They walk out and I hear them play the song again. I listen from the top of the stairs.

“I screwed up and I’m sorry.” The end of Zach’s speech again. The words play over and over again in my mind.

“Yes, Zach, you really screwed up. Sometimes sorry doesn’t fix it and sometimes a song isn’t even enough.” I lay in my bed.

“I screwed up and I’m sorry.” The words won’t go away. “I screwed up and I’m sorry. I screwed up and I’m sorry.”

“Damn it, Zach, go away!” I yell. Mom walks in.

“Teal, how bad is it?”

“It feels like my heart’s been crushed by about 20 semi-trucks then Zach came around and crushed the pieces even smaller.” I tell her.

“I’m sorry, baby.” She hugs me and I cry harder than I ever have before.

“You need to be alone right now. Your father and I will be at the store. I’m sending your friends home.”

“Mom, don’t.” I beg.

“Trust me on this, Teal.” I hear the music finally stop and in five minutes I’m alone. Just like I always will be.

********************************************