A Thousand Diamonds

Not So Secret

Teal’s POV:

Zach and I have been together for a month now, a month yesterday, and my parents want to meet Zach tonight. We’re sitting on the beach when I ask him about it.

“Hey, Zach, what would you say if I wanted you to meet my parents tonight?”

“I would say that is insane.” He laughs and I get serious.

“Excuse me?”

“I’ve seen your parents before and I would just rather not go there right now. Isn’t it a little early?” He asks me.

“No! I’ve met your parents before. In fact, after our third date when you asked me to be your girlfriend. I’ve wanted you to meet my parents for two weeks now!”

“Well I can meet them later! We are going to last a while, right?”

“That isn’t the point, Zachary!”

“You are never to call me that.” He narrows his eyes.

“Well I just did so get over it. I want you to meet my parents and that’s it.” I’m about to cry because I think he hates me, them, or both.

“No, Teal, don’t cry. I’m sorry, okay. I’ll come over for dinner with your parents tonight. I’ll be there right at 6.”

“Okay, Zach.” The tears fall and there’s nothing I can do to stop them. “I just don’t want you to hate us.”

“No, I don’t hate you or your parents.”

“Then why don’t you want to meet them?” I ask him, calming down a little.

“It just seems so early for something so formal. You said hi to my parents then left. This is the real thing.” He finally explains after a few minutes.

“Zach, they really want to meet you. I promise they’ll accept you.” He holds me close and kisses away my tears.

“I hope they do. I want them to be proud I’m dating you.” I laugh.

“I think they will be.” I assure him.

“Then I guess I can do this, Blue.” He picks me up and throws me in the ocean.

“Zach! I didn’t take my t-shirt off!”

“It was meant to be soaked anyways. You would have put it on after swimming.” He tells me, laughing.

“You jerk!”

“You don’t mean it or you wouldn’t be laughing.” He’s right, I don’t mean it.

“I hate you, Zach.”

“No you don’t Teal.” I throw my shirt at him and run to him.

“Give me a hug, Zach.”

“No, you’re soaked.”

“Isn’t that what your shirt is meant for? You would have put it on after swimming.” I laugh and chase him. I finally tackle him and he kisses me.

“Right you are, my wonderful girlfriend.”

“Isn’t this adorable.” I look up to see Shelly and Cameron laughing at us.

“Shut up. Aren’t you two supposed to be on your first date?” He asked her out yesterday.

“Yeah and we were going to be here.” Cameron says.

“Let’s go here, they won’t see us. Crap.” I turn to see Michael carrying Tanya.

“What is this?” Zach asks.

“Our not so secret anymore first date.” We’re all laughing and end up spending the day together.

“Zach, it’s time for you to meet my parents.” I say around 5:30.

“Alright, let’s do this thing.” He takes my hand and leads me to his car.

***********************************************