A Thousand Diamonds

Realize

Teal’s POV:

Shelly and Tanya are in my room as soon as Zach leaves.

“Come on, we’re going shopping. We saw him leave and know you two were fighting again.”

“I don’t know about him. It seems like we’re fighting more than ever.” The smallest thing sets one of us off. It’s usually me getting upset, but he has gone at me a few times.

“All great couples do. Mikey told me about the tour and that’s what broke us up.” Tanya and Michael were apart a week but you would have guessed it was longer when they got back together.

“Cameron just told me and we had a fight.”

“Yeah, but that was your first fight ever. You and Cameron are solid.” I tell Shelly. Both of my friends have the best relationships imaginable.

“You two will be fine. Teal, you have to trust us on this.” Tanya tells me pulling in to the mall.

“I don’t know if I can.”

“Teal, think back to the first time you saw Zach. When he was getting off the bus.” I think back to that day and smile. “Now fast forward to that night when he asked you out.” I’m grinning. “Now think of every date you’ve ever had, even ones where you fought.”

“Shelly, you are a genius. I’ll call Zach the second I get home.”

“That’s our girl.” Tanya says. “Look at these shoes, they are a must have!” She grabs the box and runs to try them on.

“Why are we friends with her?” I joke with Shelly.

“That is a good question.” She jokes back. We spend all day in the mall and I forget about my issues. I call Zach and apologize for everything and we make plans for the beach tomorrow.

“Teal, do you want to talk about Zach?” Mom and dad are sitting in my room.

“No, we’re good. Did he say something?” I ask them.

“It just seems like you two fight a lot. A little arguing is good for a couple, but you two bite each other’s heads off sometimes.” Mom explains it all to me and I get mad.

“But we do love each other. That’s why we’re able to work it out every time! It’s usually me getting mad anyway and I need to control it.”

“You don’t have to defend him.” Dad says. “It’s okay to break it off if you aren’t happy.”

“Do you two not approve of us? I think it’s time I get my own place if this is going to happen.”

“But you’re only 20, Teal!” My mom is shocked.

“Exactly, it’s time I move out. I have money saved up to get a place.”

“Wait a while longer. See how things go with Zach and maybe you two can buy a place together in a year or two.” I know my parents don’t want me to move out and I’m not ready either.

“Okay, I’ll wait. Just understand that Zach and I love each other no matter how much we may fight. He’s a boneheaded guy that doesn’t do what I ask, but I love him.” Mom and dad smile and leave. They don’t believe me but I do.

*****************************************