The Sky Under the Sea

Hold on to California

What time is it?
I felt my back starting to feel the pain from sitting for so long.
Another family trip was the last thing I needed right now.. As I looked up trying to squint my eyes to see the time on the dashboard I realized where we were. The familiar freeways, the sight of the palm trees lined up along the streets, beautiful sky and clouds. It was home, the place I had longed to see again. California..
"Get off me!"My sister snapped at me.
I almost forgot I was in the back of a car bunched in with my family headed for San Diego. This place that I could barely remember but loved so much. Being here was as close to heaven that I could ever have. Even if I was going to stay here only for the summer with my family. My mom decided to bring us here since she felt like she needed to give herself a break. But from what? She didn't work and never cleaned or did any of those things a stay at home mom would usually do. Nah, she didn't do that sort of stuff, it was "too stressful" for her.. Wich had left my sister, me, and our dad to do everything for ourselves. Like it had always been living with her..
As we pulled up to a hotel after an hour of driving up and down the street looking for it my mother couldn't help but start nagging.
I guess that's what she was good at, just always arguing with anyone over the smallest of things..
"Ahorra que huh? What don't look at me hurry up at take your shit to the rooms." She started at us. Instead of staying to hear what else she wanted to say I grabbed my suitcase and longboard out of the trunk and headed for an elevator. Being my stupid self I didn't care to see if someone was inside and went in, hitting someone with my board. Fuck me.
"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry! I didn't see you are you okay?" I said.
As I looked up to see who it was I saw a thin, yet muscular tan boy standing in front of me laughing. Why? He looked up and I saw a set of beautiful brown eyes looking straight into mine.
"It's okay it ain't the first time I get hit by a stranger and her longboard."
"I'm sorry though. Here lemme get outta your way you probably have something to do" I moved out of the way to let him pass.
"Nah it's alright gimme your board ill help you up"
With that I trusted this new stranger giving it to him and pressing in the button to go to my floor.
"So um you staying here?" I asked trying to keep it from getting awkward in the elevator.
"Nah I live here in San Diego. I actually work here"
So I would see a lot of this cute boy. What? No Kate don't be stupid he probably thinks you're a loser.. It doesnt matter anyways its not like he would care.
At this the doors opened and I asked him Wich way my room was. He started to walk so I followed him down the hallway until he showed me the room I would be in until the end of summer. 213.
"So im I gotta go but it was nice meeting ya. Um what did you say your name was?"
I already knew I didn't tell him but just played along.
"Kate. And yours?"
"Vic"
"Oh well thanks for helping me out Vic"
"Yep anytime you need something call for me ok"
"Yerp got it" of course I would ask for him.
With that he smiled as he turned away to get back to work.
I let out a sigh thinking about how nice he was. I usually never have someone be nice that way to me. And oh what a smile.
dont be stupid kate! As I opened the door to the room I could already hear the others coming out of the elevator.
Can't wait to see how this stupid and shitty this vacation turns out to be