Status: Finished c:

You Could Be My Compass

Chapter 24

It had been a year.

“I’m really proud of you,” Alex mumbled as they started across the spacious cemetery. It would be Jack’s first time visiting the grave. This was real progress. Alex suggested flowers. Jack refused. Baby steps.

A lot had happened in the past year.

They were on the news nationwide (and a few international stations took up an interest). The interviews were numerous, and they went on a ton of talk shows. Everyone was fascinated.

Alex’s mom got all kinds of awards for what she did. Everyone recognized her as the best mother, and there were magazine articles about what a role model she was, an inspiration to mothers everywhere. Unfortunately, the NRA took her actions and used them for several pro-gun ads. She didn’t appreciate that because, despite the fact that the gunshot had ultimately saved lives, she still didn’t advocate guns. So she sued. And won. A banquet was held for her in Washington, D.C.

Alex’s dad took control of the company, took Barakat out of the name entirely, and it was more successful than ever. His own son still had no idea what exactly he did—but to be honest, nobody really did. He, too, had an article written about him, but it was in a business magazine, so nobody under the age of forty actually read it.

Jack started school again and graduated with them. He and Alex were both offered full rides to a local college because of everything that happened. Good thing, too, seeing as they weren’t exactly stellar students and probably wouldn’t get scholarships based off academics.

Zack was the valedictorian. It was the longest they’d ever heard him speak. It brought the student body, as well as the staff and all the guests, to tears. He later confessed to being stoned out of his mind during the ceremony.

Rian and Cassadee were voted cutest couple in the yearbook (with Jack and Alex receiving the title of ‘Most Adorable Gay Couple,’ which they just rolled their eyes at) and also prom king and queen. He proposed at graduation, and they were planning on getting married in the winter.

After a brief fling, Zack and Lisa broke up. It was messy and Lisa decided to throw herself into schoolwork instead of throwing guys into her. After the first semester of their senior year, she’d pulled her GPA up enough to be fourth in their class and was offered a pretty decent scholarship to Princeton. Nobody had any fucking clue what Zack planned on doing with his future, but after his and Lisa’s breakup, he’d (finally) apologized to Alex about the Fuck A Dog incident. Rian later discovered a file folder on Zack’s laptop dedicated to half-naked pictures of Travis Barker. He chose not to say anything.

Jack’s dad (with the permission of Jack) was featured in a series of anti-drug ads. They used his story to show the long-term effects of drug dependency, how you’re never really over it and it can follow you later in life. These were met with positive reviews and teen drug use decreased by about two percent. It was a start.

And Jack’s mom…well, Alex thought back to that day in the motel. They’d found her in a chair, body slumped forward, arm with the gun hanging loosely by her side.

And she was sobbing.

She explained that she’d fully intended on shooting herself that day, that the guilt had gotten to be too much for her. But she couldn’t do it. She’d shot at the wall—damage she later had to pay for—in frustration, but not herself. She and Jack tried to maintain a cordial relationship, and he really wanted to rebuild it, but he realized she wasn’t into it, that she was too distant. So he cut off contact, not wanting to get hurt. He had no idea where she was now, and frankly, he didn’t care.

He was ready to move on with his life. He could survive without his parents. Hell, he’d done a pretty good job at it before he was kidnapped. Besides, he still had the Gaskarths, and they were the greatest family anyone could ask for.

They reached his dad’s grave. Alex stood slightly behind him, allowing him to have a moment. “Dad,” Jack said softly. “There’s something I need to tell you. I know you had your reasons for what you did, and maybe one day I’ll forgive you for it, but this is all I’ve got right now: fuck. You.”

Alex chuckled. This was so typical.

Jack turned to face him, beaming triumphantly. “That felt good!” he squealed, like he’d just made a major accomplishment. “Oh! I almost forgot.” He dug in his pocket and pulled something out. “Uh, this is for you.”

It was a silver bracelet, with the words you could be my compass engraved on it. Alex put it on, smiling but raising an eyebrow.

“That song, you know…it’s true. You’re my compass, Lex.”

“How so?”

“No matter what shit happens, I know you’ll be there to guide me home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's over.
I know this is short and shitty, but I honestly just ran out of ideas and yeah.
Anyways, thank you so much to everyone that read this story. <3