Status: Soon, I swear!!

These Days

Driving' downtown, top down

You really didn’t have to follow me all the way back,” I say as I climb out of my Bug and approach Jared’s truck. He had offered to drive me back to my car after the party had winded down. At nearly midnight, I can feel my eyelids getting heavy and I was sure Jared is in the same boat.

“Don’t worry about it,” he yawns. “Did you have fun?”

I nod, smiling. “It was a good homecoming.” I nudged his arm as we lean against the front of his truck. “It was good seeing you all.”

“I think Jordan about pissed his pants he was so excited to tell us about seeing you,” Jared snorts, laughing.

I join in, remembering his bewildered expression. “He hasn’t changed a bit, has he?”

“Not much,” Jared shakes his head. “None of us have.”

“I don’t know,” I prod his bicep. “You seem a little…sturdier.”

Jared blushes and I wonder if he’s been putting extra work in, trying to make the NHL. It’s not a subject we managed to get to that night and I was too nervous to bring it up now.

“Although,” I decide to make a joke. “This could use some more work.” I poke his stomach, only to have my finger collide with rock.

“Not what you expected, eh?” he’s obviously proud.

I just smile and look up at that night sky, letting that suffice as my answer.

******

“You guys should come over tomorrow,” Bri says with her gaze set on the stars.

I don’t respond- I’m too busy watching her. Her hair is a little mussed from the heat and she’d shed her sweater earlier, although I can see goosebumps on her arms.

“Jare,” she says, waving a hand in front of my face. “Hello?”

I perk up, sure that I was blushing. “Sorry, what?”

“You heard me,” she counters and crosses her arms.

Oh, yeah. She’s still the same smartass she was when she left.

“I’ll talk with the others,” I say, turning my own gaze up to the sky. “But I’ll be here.”

“Come before lunch,” Bri says with a happy sigh. “You can never see the stars like this in New York City.”

“Is that what you missed the most? When you left?” I blurt. I can remember many a summer night spent star gazing.

She’s a little taken aback and she looks at me for a moment before looking up at the moon.

“One of them,” Bri’s voice is quiet. “One of them.”


******

It had been a good end to a great night. As I wake up, my mind instantly drifts to Jared and his toothy smile. He’d had his fake tooth in and all night I’d tried to convince him to take it out. He wouldn’t.

After a quick breakfast and shower, I’m back to work. There’s still a lot left to do downstairs and I don’t even want to think about the small bathroom on the ground floor.

For a good two hours, I start moving furniture around in the dining room. It would be the first room to be painted, as it would give me enough room to move things from the living room into it while taking care of its walls.

Eventually, I check the clock and realize that it’s nearing noon. Jared and hopefully some of the others will be arriving soon. Deciding that a break is in order, I grab myself water and begin a slow walk through.

As I walk through, I can’t help but be a little amazed at the work that I’ve managed to get done in just a short amount of time. No longer does the first floor smell like moth balls and must. Now, it seems like it’s been lived in for a long while.

Just as I had suspected, the tiny powder room just off the kitchen would be a bit of a project, but that is for another time. And with the clock still tick-tocking to noon, I sit down in the kitchen with an IKEA catalog and begin looking for ideas for it and the rest of the house.

I’m not engrossed too long before my eyes are drawn upward by some movement. On the wall-right by my head-is a huge, black, and hairy spider. I jump from my seat and stand back, eyeing it carefully. My biggest fear has always been spiders. And it shocks me that I haven’t come across more.

With a deep breath, I set the IKEA magazine down and pick up the local newspaper from a few days ago. I wind it up into a small bat and get ready to swing my arm. Just as I’m about to squish the spider that had moved eerily close to my drink on the table, the doorbell rings, making me jump again.

******

Jordan, Heather, and I climb out of my truck in front of Bri’s house. I’d been too tired to mention her invitation to everyone last night and only they hadn’t had plans. While I’m sure Bri would be disappointed that not everyone was able to come, I’m just glad I don’t have to show up alone.

“I still think ice cream would have been a fine breakfast,” Jordan complains. “We deserve a rest day.”

“No,” Heather and I say together. She’s looking out for Jordan and I’m looking out for myself.

We knock on the door and wait for her to answer and I see Heather appraising the house.

“It’s pretty,” she smiles. “I like it. Old fashioned cottage-y.”

From inside the house, we hear a faint ‘come in’ and Jordan swings open the two doors and we step into what I assume will become a living room.

“In the kitchen!” Bri’s voice calls out and we find our way towards the back of the house.

Coming into the kitchen, we see a comical scene unfold before us. Bri stands with her back to us, arm up with a rolled newspaper in hand, ready to strike. I follow her terrified gaze and on the wall I see a spider. It’s not very big, but it’s hard to forget her over the top fear of arachnids.

“You okay there, Bri?” Heather asks, not knowing just why she’s freaking out over something so small.

“It’s a spider,” she says, almost a whisper. “I hate spiders.”

Jordan nudges my arm forcefully and when I look at him, he’s gesturing for me to go towards her. I furrow my eyebrows at him, unsure of what he means. Rolling his eyes, Jordan goes forward himself, grabs a magazine off the table, and slaps it against the spider.

“Not the-!,” but Bri’s voice is cut off as Jordan hands her the squished spider and catalog. “IKEA one.” She sighs. “Thanks Jord.” She turns around and sees the rest of us. “Hi!”

“Hey,” I shift onto my heels. How did I not pick up on what Jordan was telling me to do? How had I not figured out what to do myself?

“Sorry about that,” she apologizes more to Heather than to either my brother or I. Bri rips off the back cover of the IKEA magazine and drops it into the trash. “Spiders and I…we don’t get along.”

Heather laughs and assures her it’s alright. “The place looks gorgeous.”

Now Bri laughs. “Yeah, sure. The outside is horrific and the only good things so far are the way the first floor smells and the view from the backyard.” She shrugs. “You want to see the bad stuff?”

I lead Jared, Heather, and Jordan through the house, winding around the rooms and giving them a brief overview of what I have planned. As we mount the stairs, I stop them.

“And this,” I gesture to the wall beside us. “will look like this.” I hand Heather a page of paper from my sketch pad. On it is a beige wall, black banister, and a dozen picture frames of different sizes.

“That looks really cool,” Jordan consents. “Where’d you come up with that idea?”

I smile. “Just a thought I had. I’m still deciding on what pictures will go in them, but the whole house is a work in progress.”

Jared’s been rather quiet the whole time and I have to keep my gaze off him in fear that I’ll end up staring at him in confusion. Last night, we’d been so comfortable around each other. And now, it was just…really awkward.

“So,” I continued. “Upstairs?”

In passing, I tell them what the untouched, second floor rooms will become. There’s the extra bathroom, the two smaller bedrooms, a study that still smells like my grandfather’s tobacco smoke. We pause outside the master bedroom with its double French doors.

“This is my room,” I shrug and prop open a door. “Forgive the mess. I’m still unpacking.”

They each poke their heads in and I pray that they don’t notice the basket of laundry that needs putting away. I cringe when I remember what’s on top.

“So,” I say, almost catching Jared’s nose as I shut the door. “That’s about it. I really haven’t stepped foot in the basement and I’d rather not start today.”

“What’s up there?” Jordan points to the small hatch in the ceiling.

“Well seeing as it’s a whole that probably doesn’t take you the roof, Jord,” Jared speaks up, snorting at his brother. “I’m going to say it’s an attic.”

Jordan makes a face and looks at me. “Have you been up there?”

It dawns on me that I haven’t and I shake my head no. Using their immense height, Jordan and Jared (after being prodded at by Heather) pry down the cover to the door and out comes a little folding ladder.

“Ladies first,” Jordan says and though hesitantly, I step up first.

I squint into the darkness, seeing cracks along the walls where light shines in. I assume they’re windows covered by thick curtains. I poke my head back down.

“There’s that box right there,” I point to the top of the steps. “I think there are some flashlights. Grab them.” I am no fan of walking into tiny, dark places.

Jared does as I ask and hands me one while keeping the other for himself when he brings up the rear.

“Watch the floors,” he advises.

Tenderly, we all branch out a bit, staying near the light beams so that we can see where our feet are going. I pull back the first curtain and I swat away the dust that flies out to my eyes. Once the windows are exposed, I can see the whole space.

Instantly, my mind starts whirring, thinking of all the ideas for this room. It’s big, but the sloped ceilings could be a problem. A skylight would look great. And maybe a projector screen on one wall.

I’m so engrossed in what I’m thinking that I don’t notice my guests watching me curiously.

******

It’s interesting to watch Bri think. As soon as light is shining through the attic, her eyes light up. She sees possibility. Soon enough, her phone comes out and she’s taking pictures.

After a minute, she comes back to reality. Seeing us all still standing there, she flushes pink.

“Sorry. I just… got excited.”

“So,” Jordan says. “How about some ice cream?”

Heather and I cave then, although for different reasons. Jordan gives her the puppy dog eyes and Bri’s happy reaction to the idea is enough to convince me.

She gathers up her purse and soon she’s locking the front door and racing Jordan to the passenger side door. He beats her there, but she whacks him in the stomach. Hopping in, she sticks her tongue out at him behind the window.

“You,” he grumbles getting in. “Are a mad woman.”

“Sucks to suck, Staal,” Bri grins. “Are we going to Meade’s?”

Meade’s is probably one of the oldest places in Thunder Bay and it’s known for catering to the younger generation throughout the summer afternoon heat. Growing up, you could find any number of kids hanging out there, eating from a cone or giant sundae bowl.

“Hell yes,” Jordan says as he tries to fit himself in the back seat with Heather.

******

“You guys have to take my picture by the sign,” I say as I’m handed my ice cream cone. “My brother will freak.” I dig through my purse with one hand for my phone and wallet.

“I got it,” Jared’s voice is quiet and he places money down on the counter for me.

“You didn’t have to do that,” I assure him as I finally locate both items.

“I know,” he smiles.

I flash him another grin before I turn to the rest of our group. “Let’s all get in the picture.”

I hand my phone to an older woman sitting with her grandkids and she graciously takes the picture.

“Dom’s gonna freak.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So this one is pretty long, I think. I kind of like writing awkward Jared. But fear not, he won't be awkward for long. I'm sorry that it took me a little while to crank this out. But I'm on Spring Break right now and have a full week off before I go back to school. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!