Born for This

eight.

Tommy sat on the couch beside his wife’s hospital bed with a permanent smile on his face. Cradled in his arms was Charlotte Avery Conlon, Charlie for short. Emma was enjoying a well deserved nap, lightly snoring even, after one of the Conlon clan’s most stressful days of their lives.

After expressing her concerns to her husband about Paddy’s health, Tommy had brought his father to visit a doctor only to return home with the news that the older man’s memory was indeed slipping. It wasn’t, however, until a second and third opinion that Tommy and Brendan fully came to terms with the fact that their father was suffering from Alzheimer’s.

“He can’t live in that house alone, Tommy. It isn’t safe!” Emma argued as she lay awake in bed one evening.

Tommy rubbed his temples feeling a headache coming, “Well what do you suppose we do? He doesn’t want to be put in a home and I don’t want some stranger going to his house. There are too many freaks out there.”

Emma bit her lip, “Let him live with us. I’ll be here all the time with the babies and I can keep an eye on him as well.”

The fighter jumped out of bed causing his wife to place a protective hand over her swollen belly subconsciously, “You gotta be fucking nuts.” He began to pace the bedroom, running a hand through his hair, “I know he and I have gotten along better over the past few years, but there is so fucking way I will live with that man again.”

Emma looked at her husband with disappointment painted across her face, “When we decided on buying a house, it was for the purpose of filling it with family. Whether you like it or not, Paddy is family and he needs us.”


Tommy finally tore his eyes away from the precious baby in his arms when he heard the door open and close. Brendan guided Paddy over to the couch and had him sit next to Tommy. The older of the brothers sat in the armchair opposite the couch and watched carefully as Tommy placed his sleeping daughter in Paddy’s arms.

“Emily...” He muttered with a smile. “I’m your grandpa.”

Brendan ran a hand over his tired face and said a silent prayer for his father. Tommy sighed, “That’s Avery, Pop. Emily is Brendan’s daughter. She’s much older… Avery was just born today.”

Paddy looked his son in the eyes, “I think I’d know what my own granddaughter looks like, boy.” There was a hint of frustration as he rose his voice slightly, “This is Emily.”

“No, Pop.” Brendan stood from the armchair and pulled out his cell phone, “This is Emily, my wife Tess, and my other daughter Rosie.” He showed his father the photo before pointing to Emma who was just waking from her nap. “That’s Tommy’s wife, Emma. They have a son named Thomas and this is their new baby, Charlotte.”

Emma, who was rubbing the sleep from her eyes, gave a small wave upon hearing her name. Her heart broke a bit as she saw her father-in-law struggling to place her name. She sent a gentle smile in his direction before saying hello.

In such a short amount of time, so much had changed in Paddy Conlon’s life. Every day was becoming more and more difficult for him to remember things. Some nights he woke in a fright, unsure of where he was until either Tommy or Emma came to his bedside and talked him down. In an effort to ease the transition for Paddy, most of the older man’s bedroom furniture had been moved into his son’s house. In addition to furniture, much to Tommy’s dismay, most of the photographs that Paddy had lined the walls of his home with had also been moved.

It was nearing three in the morning when Paddy Conlon jolted awake from the loud crack of thunder outside his bedroom window. He rolled out of bed, throwing on a bathrobe and slippers before leaving his bedroom to get a glass of water from the kitchen. As he made his way down the hall, Paddy heard the unfamiliar sound of his slippers shuffling along against the hardwood floor beneath his feet.

“What in the hell?” Paddy could have sworn his house was carpeted.

He rubbed his eyes and blinked a few times, wondering if he was merely dreaming. As he slowly opened his eyes, a petite brunette had appeared before him, “Can I get you something, Pop?” Her voice was soft, as if to avoid waking up others in the house.

“Who are you?” Paddy’s voice was harsh, but confused. He may not have remembered where he was, but he knew for a fact that he had two sons, never a daughter.

Emma sighed and grabbed one of her father-in-law’s hands, giving it a gentle squeeze, “I’m Emma, Tommy’s wife.”

When did Tommy get married? Paddy merely nodded his head, not fully understanding, but too tired to ask questions. He pulled back his hand and walked past the woman, heading down the stairs in search of the kitchen. The sound of soft footsteps behind him reminded Paddy that he was not alone. Emma had followed him down to the kitchen from a distance, wanting to be close by if he needed any help.

“Quit following me, girl.” Paddy huffed as he brushed past her and retreated back to his bedroom.


The change had been tough on the entire family, but that’s what family was for. While Paddy may not have had the best relationship with either of his sons, he would always be grateful for them being there for him. He knew, however, if it had not been for either man’s wife it surely would not have been the case.

Paddy looked down at the delicate baby in his arms once more and smiled, “Charlotte.”
♠ ♠ ♠
only about two more chapters left until this story is done for good! :) love you all if you're still reading this!