Born for This

nine.

The final guests were filtering out of the Conlon house as Charlie’s first birthday party came to an end. The lively baby was sitting on her grandfather’s lap while her parents said goodbye to their guests. Rosie and Emily were sitting on the floor playing with some of their baby cousin’s toys much to their mother’s dismay and their aunt’s amusement. Brendan was in the kitchen putting away from of the leftovers, occasionally stealing a lick of icing from the cake.

“So, I’d say this was a rather successful party.” Emma smiled and she placed her son on the floor beside the girls. She tossed her hair up into a ponytail as she assessed the damage to the room, “Not too much of a clean up either.”

Tess stood up from her spot beside Paddy, “Don’t even think about cleaning right now. You did such an amazing job with this party… relax for a minute. I’ll grab some cake for you and Paddy.”

Emma smiled, unable to refuse cake. She sat beside her father-in-law and rest her head on his shoulder. “How about you, Paddy? Did you have a good time? I’m sure you loved being in a house full of ladies.”

Paddy chuckled, “Lovely to look at… a bit too young for an old geezer like myself though.”

The brunette smiled and gave her father-in-law a kiss on the cheek before cheering as Tess returned to the living room with birthday cake. As Emma leaned back and took in the sight of her family all together in one room, it filled her heart with immense joy. Her eyes studied every inch of the room.

The kids sans Charlie were sitting on the floor playing with toys. Emily had gotten into a set of Disney princess jewelry and was speaking to her sister and cousin as they were her royal subjects. There was a silver crown atop her blonde mop of girls and long dangling earrings. Her tiny fingers were nearly weighed down by the plastic jewels as she gave her best princess wave to the adults sitting on the couch.

Thomas Keane had just started sitting up on his own and sticking everything he came across into his mouth. At the moment, a plastic bath time book was hanging out of his mouth, covered in drool. The older he got, the more and more he looked like his father.

Sweet Rosie was playing with a tea set, trying her best to ignore Princess Emily. She was pouring ‘tea’ for herself, her sister, and her cousin as well as other stuffed animal guests who had joined the party. Her hair was not quite as curly as her sisters, but the same exact color. She had her mother’s cheekbones and her father’s plump lips.

Brendan and Tess were cuddled together on the love seat, so engrossed in their own little world. The house could have burnt down and they’d still be sitting there, holding one another. She threw her head back with laughter as her husband smirked, his tired hands tickling her sides. Tess had light make-up, not that she really needed it in the first place. Brendan looked less tired than he did in years. After Sparta all those years ago, he was able to pay all his debts and return to teaching. His body ached but his mind was still young.
Tommy was standing in the doorway with a content look on his face. His angry soul was finally at ease. He lifted his cup to his lips as his eyes met his wife’s. They shared a smile before he walked over, and took Emma’s seat, pulling her into his lap. He peppered her neck with kisses before settling into the couch.

And then there was Paddy. The older man had passed his granddaughter back to her mother, Emma passing her unfinished cake off to husband, and excused himself from the room. Emma watched as he made his way out toward the backyard. His body showed signs of all the battles he fought and continued to fight. She smiled as Paddy stood outside, waving to the kids from the other side of the sliding glass door. He was at peace. He wasn’t perfect, but his family was back together, for good.

There was a loud crash from the back deck which caused all the adults to jump from their seats. Emma held the baby in her arms while Rosie, Emily, and TK stayed in the living room. Nothing could have prepared them for what they saw when they got outside.

The glass patio table had shattered to pieces. Paddy was writhing on the ground, glass shards in one hand, the other clutching his chest. His breathing was labored. Time stood still. Emma covered her mouth, and held back a sob. Brendan and Tommy ran to their father’s side, ignoring the fact that the deck was peppered with glass and knelt beside him. Tess had run inside for her cell phone and quickly dialed 9-1-1.

Paddy struggled a bit longer as his family stood by. His two sons beside him, their wives and children close by. He heard the sirens get closer and closer until he saw their light in front of the house. Before any of the paramedics came into view, Paddy let his body ease out of tension. He pulled a smile onto his face, “My family.”

He was ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
i don't even know if that last part made sense. but yeah, that's what i'm going to stick with.
one more left, sorry!