Status: Last Update: May 1, 2013

Determination

The Play Is Under Review

“Wake up! Wake up! March, wake up!” Someone was shaking my shoulder. I opened my eyes, and screamed. It was Sidney.
 
I looked into his eyes, begging for an explanation. “You were dreaming, and you started screaming, and it sounded like you were crying.” He touched my face, and I felt the wetness on my cheeks. I touched his hand on my cheek.
 
“O-oh.” I stuttered. “Thanks.” My voice was shaky. I sat up, so I was sitting next to Sidney. I suddenly realized I had fallen asleep next to him, and he had stayed. He stayed here with me. But why?
 
He massaged my shoulder. “Are you sure you’re okay? Do you want to talk about it?” He whispered in the darkness.
 
I shook my head, “Not really. I’m sorry it’s not that I don’t trust you, I just don’t want to,” I broke off.
 
He gave me a kind smile and even in the dim lighting I could see it. “I get it. Do you have a lot of nightmares?”
 
I explained, “I got them at home a lot, this is my first one here. I think they’ll go away soon. Hopefully.”
 
He leaned in and said, “You can tell me anything, you know.”
 
I put my head on his shoulder and sighed, “I know Sid. Thank you for everything. I haven’t known you for more than a couple months, but I trust you as if I’ve known you for years.”
 
I looked at his reaction and he was smiling at me. He rubbed by back and I smiled and cuddled into his chest. He pulled me closer to him. I took a deep breath and I could tell he had showered, he smelled like shampoo and soap.
 
I smiled inwardly as I felt his lips touch my head, and I laid my head on his chest, and I heard his breath even out soon after. I fell asleep in that same position.
 
 
I took a shaky breath and pulled the hockey bag over my shoulder. I sat in the car for a while with the rest of the boys I live with.
 
“Ready Wilson?” Kris asked me.
 
I shrugged, “I think I’m more nervous than anything actually! How are you all acting so CALM?”
 
James laughed, “We’ve been doing this a lot longer than you March! I’m excited. HOCKEY IS BACK!”
 
“There wasn’t a lockout,” Marc Andre pointed out, and James fired back, “No, but there was a long period of time where there was no hockey, and now HOCKEY IS BACK!”
 
Sidney replied, “So, Rangers! Do you have any thoughts on them?”
 
“Those douches? My thoughts are,”
 
“We get it!” Jordan said loudly, and I smiled.
 
“C’mon! I wasn’t going to say anything REALLY bad about Marc Staal, even though I have opinions on him too, if you’d like me to tell you my issue with him-“
 
Jordan shook his head, “Nah I’m good.” We all laughed at him.
 
Kris was the first to get out of the car. “Are we just going to sit in here and discuss the problems we all have with Marc Staal or are we going to go in there and raise some hell?”
 
I climbed out of the car and we went into the locker room. “Hello Evgeni,” I said pleasantly as I passed him, but I was rewarded with a glare instead of a greeting.
 
James nudged my shoulder, seeming to notice my minor exchange with Geno. “He’ll come around.”
 
I nodded, and I knew he was right. He’s probably remembering his old girlfriend and going through a rough patch with all of the good memories he has with her. I feel pretty bad for him actually. It’s sad, and the guys were able to convey how depressing it is.
 
I changed out of my sweatpants and into the hockey pants I’m required to wear. I slipped the clothes off and the under armor on, and then over the under armor the jersey.
 
Number 77, center for the Pittsburgh Penguins. She is eighteen years old and she is the first female in the NHL. And her name? And her name is March Wilson.
 
I smiled to myself, and laced my skates up, walking over to Marc Andre. “You’re not even the least bit nervous?” I asked him.
 
He shrugged, “Not really. I was as nervous as hell for my first game too though. It’s totally normal. It’s not normal if you’re not nervous at all, actually.”
 
I nodded and Coach just said, “Ready? You’re gonna skate out when you hear your name, alright Wilson?”
 
I nodded, and felt the excitement starting to take over the nerves. I pulled my gloves on and grabbed my hockey stick that I would use to move the puck across the ice.
 
Jordan said to me, “Good luck kid!” He patted my back, and a couple other guys followed his lead.
 
James added, “I’m always open!” Paul Martin shoved him and said, “On the contrary, you’re never open when I need you to be!”
 
I smiled. I love this team. There’s only one guy I’m not comfortable with, which is a huge step up for me.
 
Every guy on the team was called, until it was me, Sid and Evgeni left to skate out.
 
Sidney said to Geno, “Good luck man!” Geno nodded, but looked over at me.
 
His big chocolate eyes searched mine and he said to me, “Well, good luck March. You can do this.”
 
It stunned me a little bit, the kindness of his simple statement. I nodded and stammered, “Wow, thanks. You too Evgeni!”
 
“EVGENI MAAAALKIN NUMBER 71!” The person announcing yelled into the speaker. Geno nodded at me one more time before taking off and the blades of his skates hit the beautiful, clean sheet of ice.
 
Sidney said to me, “You’re next kiddo. You’re amazing and you can do this!”
 
I smiled at Sidney and said, “You’re right Sidney. And so can you. You got this.”
 
“SIIIIDNEY CROOOOSBY NUMBER 87!” Sidney and I looked at each other in confusion.
 
“I could have sworn you were first!” He said quickly before taking off himself.
 
Coach Dan smiled at me. “You get a very special introduction.”
 
“AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY, THE FIRST FEMALE TO PLAY IN THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE, MAAAAARCH WILSOOON! NUMBER 77!”
 
The nerves attacked me, but I managed to skate out and wave to the crowd with my new hockey stick I had gotten just for this occasion. I looked into the huge crowd which roared when I skated out, even though I couldn’t see much, the lights blinding me. I stopped short next to Sidney and gave him a smile, which he returned.
 
The lady due to sing the national anthem stepped out, and started singing the lyrics I knew so well.

I took a moment to look up into the quiet crowd, hands over their hearts. All donning the black and gold with the same logo on the front as mine. I briefly wondered how many said WILSON on the back. Probably not many.

But as the anthem cuts off, I realize I made it. For now. But that's a thought that will get me through these 2 and a half hours of my life.
 
Sidney and James both gave me a pat on the back as we skated into our positions for the opening faceoff. Sidney got into the circle with Ryan Callahan, and the linesman dropped the puck.
 
Everything moved fast after that, Ryan Callahan of the New York Rangers passed the puck to Girardi, who skated up the ice. I tried to intercept the puck, and I got a piece of it, but I deflected it off to Gaborik.
 
James called, “Good work Wilson!”
 
I barely heard his comment as I ran after the puck. Kris grabbed it, and skated up the ice with the defenseman for the Rangers hard on his heels.
 
I was called to the bench to wait for my next shift. Tanner Glass gave me a fist bump. “Good playing kid!” I smiled at him and sat down next to him.
 
 I had never had more fun in my life as I did through the 20 shifts I played, stacking up 17:24 ice minutes!
 
And I was to play the last shift. I looked at the score board, we were down 2-1. Evgeni had scored our only goal, which was assisted by Brooks Orpik and surprisingly, Marc Andre Fleury. The goal had been scored in the beginning of the third period.
 
The Rangers two goals had both been in the first period, both of them belonged to Ryan Callahan.
 
There are 24 seconds left in the game.
 
I ran out to play the last shift with Paul Martin, Kris Letang, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. We were headed to the other end of the ice, Sidney controlling the puck. He passed it to Evgeni who was waiting behind the net, and SCORED!!! A beautiful wrap around goal! WE ARE TIED AT 2!!!!! I basically jumped on top of Evgeni and yelled, “YEAH MALKIN!”
 
16 seconds left. I hadn’t done a face off yet, and apparently it’s my turn. Shaking, I stepped into the circle and won the face off against Marc Staal, Jordan’s brother. Jodan yelled, "Yeah March, get him good!" Before I put my hockey stick in ready position right before the ref dropped the puck on the battered, scratched up ice.

I took my time with the puck on my tape before seeing an opening in the Rangers defense and passing the puck to Geno. He passed it back. 8 seconds left. I gave the puck with the Penguins logo on it to Kris. He quickly tried a shot, but it hit the post. 4 seconds left. He gave it to Sidney. 3.2 left to go before an extra five minutes of 4 on 4 were added to by debut to the National Hockey League. Truthfully, I was having so much fun I wouldn't mind an overtime win to top off my first game in the NHL. I'll remember this day, every second of this game for the rest of my life. Back to Sidney on the rebound and shoots, the end of the game hits right after the puck is fired.

The ref calls it no goal, and I looked over at Sidney. His hazel eyes were angry as he yelled to the referee, "What? What do you mean no goal I shot the puck before the game was over!"

And the play is officially under review.

I skated over to Kris, and he gave me a high five. "I've seen a lot of NHLers play their first game, but I've never seen an NHLer play their first game and act like a fearless bastard the whole time!"

I smiled, "I'm pretty proud of myself too, if I do say so myself."

Kris smiled, "That's what we're talking about! Someone who can admit to their greatness! And hey look, we're on the screen!" He pointed up at the scoreboard, and I saw that we were indeed the picture on the screen instead of the fans, and I gave a huge smile. "I just can not believe this is actually happening to me right now!"

The ref flew out to the middle of the ice, and Sidney skated over to me and put a hand on my shoulder, taking me by surprise; I hadn't heard him come up behind me, the Penguins fans were cheering too loud.

"And after review, it was indeed a goal!"

The crowd went fucking CRAZY! I've been to a few concerts, but I've never heard anything as loud as the goal horn and all the screaming from crazy Penguins fans. I hugged Sidney and screamed, "GREAT GOAL!"

"THANKS!" He yelled back, so I could hear him.

"GOOOOAL was scored byyyy Siiiiiidneyyyy Crooooossssbyyyy!" The announcer announced (hmm, well that's his job, isn't it? What else would he be doing?)

We piled on top of Sidney, and Flower had skated over, and was knocking helmets with his - MY- team mates. Is this actually real life? Do I actually play for the Pittsburgh Penguins? Do I actually play hockey in the National Hockey League? Am I actually living my dream that everyone told me was unable to be fulfilled?

"And the assist goes to...." Sidney started, tapping my shoulder.

"What? You think I have it? But it was a rebound. Unassisted." I stuttered, suddenly wondering if he was possibly right.

The announcer got on the system again and yelled, "And the assists go tooooo.... Kriiiiiis Letaaaaaang and Maaaaaaarch Wiiiiiiilllllsssooon!"

My jaw dropped as all of my team mates, even the team mates who were on the bench the last shift jumped on top of me, and I screamed in excitement, unable to string an actual sentence together. "OH MY GOD!" I finally shrieked.

We all walked into the tunnel, but Coach tapped my shoulder, "Hello star of the game, you're not going back to the locker room yet!"

I smile broke across my face and I was ready to hug him, but then I remembered I was still sweaty and disgusting and he wouldn't exacty like that.

Sidney and Marc Andre joined me in the wings. "Nice game March! GREAT assist!" Marc Andre said with the biggest smile ever.

I hugged him, and said, "You played great too! How many saves tonight? 43? Isn't that like, way above average?"

He replied, "Well, yeah."

"OUR FIRST STAR OF THE GAME.... SIIIIDNEY CROOOSSSBYY!"

Sidney skated out, and gave the million dollar Crosby smile to all of the Penguins fans.

He skated back in and said to me, "It really never gets old." just as Marc Andre skated out. "March, you're being interviewed at center ice, so after you skate out and raise your hockey stick for the fans and feel the greatest praise from just that, you get to skate over to the girl at center."

I nodded as my name was called. I skated out, a bit nervously. Everyone seemed to sense my nerves because I was made righy at home the second all of the pens fans started chanting, "WILSON! WILSON! WILSON!"

I smiled, and skated to center ice, where a girl a few inches shorter than me, and probably 30 years older than me stood. She looked like she had had a bunch of face lifts, and was only in it for meeting the "hot" hockey players, even though she's probably like 50 years old.

"So March, put plainly, if you could describe today, what would you say?" She asked.

I gave it a little bit of thought before saying, "Y'know it's just awesome. Totally nerve wracking, but amazing, and awesome and the best day of my whole life!"

She smiled, "So, do you have bonds with the guys, some people worried you, being the first girl here, would lack the friendship and chemistry needed to be team mates."

I thought about James and Sidney and Marc Andre and said with a laugh, "They are my best friends ever." Then I remembered Allie who was watching this from her college, "My best friends besides Allie Trimm! Uh Allie I miss you so much! But yeah the guys are awesome, and I thought it would be awkward too, but only at first. They're the best."

She smiled, "Alright. Do you room with any of them?"

I nodded and said, "Yeah, James Neal, Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang, Marc Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal."

The woman nodded and asked me, "So, is it hard for you? Just everything?"

I replied, "The work? No, no different than training in New Jersey really. They made me work my butt off there too." I said with a laugh.

The woman said, "Cool. Last question, have you had any crazy fan encounters yet?"

I raised an eyebrow, "Well, no. But I love the fans, it's been one game and just thank you all so much! All of you!" I waved to the crowd.

She let me go, and as I walked into the tunnel, a girl who looked about tweleve years old yelled, "I LOVE YOU MARCH!"

I smiled, and slid her my hockey stick through the poles. "I loce you too girl!"

I walked in after I made sure the girl got it.

The guys greeted me in the locker room with hugs and cheers. I got changed and showered quickly, then greeted by... MEDIA.

A man who looked about Sid's age came up to me with a camera and tape recorder once I was dressed in a loose white shirt and jeans. "March!"

Suddenly everyone was screaming my name at the same time and I was compelled to say "Whoa, whoa, whoa, one at a time!" I realized the words slipped from my lips as soon as everyone shut up and one guy took the liberty of asking me, "So March, how
Do you think the team played?"

I smiled, "I think we played pretty well, Marc Andre had a lot of brilliant saves, and he really led the team today. Sidney and Geno scoring towards the end was awesome, even though it might have been better to have some success earlier in the game I don't feel like we played a BAD game at all. And it's always nice to get the first game, it really gives you confidence you take with you for the rest of the season."

SIDNEY'S POV

After getting past my share of the media, I waited for March so I could go outside and sign some jerseys for fans.

I heard someone ask her, "March, would you ever date any guy on this team?"

Her cheeks flamed red in that cute way they always do, and she smiled and said jokingly, "Ewww one of THESE guys?"

The journalists laughed too. March separated herself from the media, and I waited by the door for her.

James was there too, and before I could even say anything, James cut in and said,His voice was very serious, didn't have that joking vibe you usually get with him. "Nice game! And I saw your interview, you're sure you don't want to go out with me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's probably a mistake updating at like 2AM, but I can't sleep so why not?
A little bit of a curve ball at the end there, maybe? I don't know if it's really like a cliffhanger, but whatever! Thank you so much @ lexwashere22 (i think that's your username!) for the comments!
I appreciate all comments guys!!!
❤Thanks for Reading!❤