Status: Last Update: May 1, 2013

Determination

Joke's On You

*FLASHBACK - AGE 12*

"I'm going to put you in the next three. Second line needs help, third line needs help. Can you do that? If you can't I can have Bruce do it." Coach tapped my shoulder.

I looked up. 3 whole shifts? "Yeah, yeah I'll do it." I said uncertainly. I looked over at Bruce. It's just because I want anyone BUT him to do it.

"First line!" He called. I looked over at Bruce and exchanged a glace with him and the left wing of the group, Tucker.

I stepped in to stop the rush the team from the next town over had started. Successfully getting the puck out to Bruce, he was met by some outstanding defenders, and I skated into the center where I'm comfortable. He passed to me, but I had no where to shoot. I skated to the side a little bit. But some boy who had to be at least like 5'9 came and crashed into my side. I lost my balance and it was the beginning of a new period, so the ice was really fresh and when I lost my footing, I slammed against the boards.

Pain shot through me everywhere, and I was almost thankful for a break from the pain, even if that meant everything going black.

When I came back around, I was told I had a minor concussion.

"What?" I yelled in disbelief. "Why? I'm totally fine?"

The coach rolled his eyes at me, "March, you're the opposite of fine. I'm sorry. It's for your own saftey that you sit out the rest of this season."

I said rudely, "Don't bench me! Bruce can't make a good play for his life, especially working with TUCKER. Who are you going to try to replace me with on the first line?"

Coach shook his head, "No fu- freaking way March."

"You can say fuck in front of me. And no! Bruce isn't good enough to make a good play without me!" I protested. I was not about to sit out the rest of the season. No way. Never.

The coach shook his head again, "No. It's forbyour own safety March. You think I wanna bring up Andrew from the second line to play first with Bruce and Tucker? No. But it is always safety first. One day when you play in the NHL, you'll realize I was right."

I glared at him angrily. "No! You can be right about some stuff, but you're wrong about this Coach."

"March Wilson, one day I promise you that you're going to GROW UP. And when you GROW UP you're going to be playing in the National Hockey League and you're going to make a lot of history. Every girl out there is going to look up to you, because you're all grown up and you are going to realize you have to watch out and take safety precautions."

I crossed my arms across my chest and didn't say anything. "Fine." I growled through my teeth. I didn't like it. And they can't keep me off my skates outside this stupid "safe" organization anyway. I can do whatever I want. This is MY LIFE. And I will not be told I can't skate or play hockey for a whole entire season. It's just crazy talk. I'll skate and play by myself. They can not stop me from being the best hockey player I can be. And the way for me to be the best hockey player I can be is by skating and playing. I won't let some stupid minor concussion get in my way.

*Back To The Present*

"She's coming around! She's coming around!" Someone screamed in a voice so loud I thought it would make my head explode. It was a french accent and when I opened my eyes I was greatful for the huge silhouette blocking the killer bright lights of the arena.

"I'm okay, I'm okay." I said quietly. "What happened?"

I sat up and rested my back against the boards as everyone loomed over me, including Ilya Kovalchuk and Adam Henrique, plus most of my team. Marc Andre blocked the light and Sidney and James were on their knees next to me. The team doctors were over me aswell.

"Help her up James." The doctor said softly. I took off my gloves and tried to stand up with just the help of James. My head spun so fast I was convinced it was about to fly off my head and I started to fall, and Sidney caught me on my way down.

I put one arm on Sid's shoulder, and my other arm was being supported by James. I attempted to skate off the ice by myself, but I faltered and James lowered his arm to my back to keep me from toppling backwards.

One I got to the tunnel with my little helpers, they carefully handed me off to the team doctors.

*ONE HOUR LATER*

I sat in the team "emergency room." Doc came over with his clip board and looked at me with concern. "Okay March, let me just tell you now that you're going to be out for the roadtrip, and the game tomorrow. The roadtrip consists of games against Columbus, Vancouver, Minnesota, Phoenix and Los Angeles Kings. I think I will allow you to travel with the team, but you have a major concussion.

"What? I can't play?" I screamed, but my voice rang loudly in my ears like I was standing next to the liberty bell.

The doctor just looked at me and gave me that face that pretty much says, 'are you fucking kidding me?' Well I'm pretty sure I'm not kidding, that's for sure. "Because you have major concussion March."

I sighed, "Just tomorrow's game and the road trip?"

"I have no idea. We'll see how you feel. March I don't even know if just travelling is the best idea."

"It's fine! I'll be fine!" I said quickly. "I'll travel and not play."

He rolled his eyes. "March, I'm not sure if you will travel. We'll have to see. It's for your health. We are putting your safety first."

"I'm perfectly safe."

"It says on your record that you had two other minor concussions. One when you were just nine years old and one when you were twelve. We will have to see about this."

He laughed when I said, "But that doesn't matter!"

"It just goes in one ear and out the other with you, doesn't it?"
**************************************************
MARC ANDRE'S POV

I walked in to the house after going out for a few hours with the rest of the team, except for two players. March was still in the team doctor's care as far as I know, and we could not pry James out of the locker room. Sidney wanted to stay too, but he desperately needed to be drunk. He needs to just live his life tonight. He didn't come home with us either, so I think we're all hoping that he decided to go with some girl back to her place. He could use a good lay.

Kris came in behind me, "Did you see Sidney leave with some puck slut?"

I shook my head, "No, but hopefully he did, an if he did hopefully they're not here." I said, looking up the long spiral staircase.

Kris said, "Even Sid isn't that stupid. He's not even that stupid when he's drunk."

I nodded, "Yeah."

Suddenly, James ran in and slammed the door behind him with a deafening bang. No one said anything as he stomped into the kitchen and grabbed two bottles of beer from the fridge and stormed up the stairs angrily. I think he might have muttered, "it's not fair!' under his breath, but I can't be sure.

"What happened to HIM?" Jordan asked as we entered the kitchen after we heard a door slam loudly from upstairs.

I shrugged, "I have no idea." When the home line rang, I stood up to answer it, but Jordan had it first.

"Hello? Yeah this is Jordan." There was a pause and Jordy looked concerned, "Okay, okay. Well he's here now. No, he went upstairs with a few bottled of beer." he sighed heavily, "No I don't. Not smart. I can't believe you would do that after all that's happened! Well, it's too late now. Yeah. Okay. See you later. Bye."

Jordan slammed the phone down on the counter, "He's an ASSHOLE!"

I asked, "Wait WHAT? Who?"

He glared at the window but answered me, "Sidney. Sidney Crosby is an idiot."

"Why?" Kris asked.

So Jordan sat back down and told us what Sidney had told him on the phone. Apparently Sid snuck out of the bar and went down to the hospital. He was sober. And when he had gotten there James was leaving. Apparently they had a huge argument about March's well being and they'd both walked in separate directions, and Sidney had gone in to see March. *Now James is mad, March is sad, and the rest of us know it ain't gonna end well.
**************************************************
MARCH'S POV

James had stayed at the team infirmary with me for a few hours. We talked and laughed and just had fun. I felt like a little kid when he came in with the game Clue. He determined it was Mrs. Greene in the kitchen with the revolver. Most importantly, he was able to bring a smile to my face after I was told I was going to be on the IR for a couple of games, which to me feels like a tragedy.

"Wanna play again?" James asked, putting the cards on the middle of the Clue game board.

I shook my head, "No, I'm okay. I'm tired. Can I go home?"

The team doctor walked in at that moment. "Yes March. Have James drive you. Stay off your feet, and make your friends do stuff for you. James, that means you."

James made a face that looked to me like mock horror, "You think she does stuff for herself on a regular basis? No sir, you have it all wrong buddy."

I elbowed him in the ribs, "Says you, the laziest human being I know!"

James laughed. He's really fun to hang out with, and I love the fact that he can take a joke. "Alright, I'll go pull my car around. Be back in five."

I nodded, pulling on my old UCLA hoodie and sneakers. "Need me to tie those for you?" He said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I don't know if you know how." I shot back with a smile.

He kissed my hair and I debated in whether or not to lightly headbut his nose. I decided not to, but after what happened next, I wished I had. It would have kept him here with me longer, and we would have avoided the mess that happened just a few seconds after he left the room.

It started with a lot of yelling. When it ended, Sidney entered the room. He looked a little bit guilty and I knew he was lying when he saod, "Uh, James had another... Thing. He had another thing to do. So I'm going to drive you home, okay?"

I nodded reluctantly. I took his hand to steady myself as I started to get off the bed. My head was throbbing again. That's weird, I'd been fine when James was here with me. But it was all starting to come back to me. The pain of my severe head injury I mean.
***********************************************

3 DAYS LATER
Columbus, Ohio

I had decided to room with Marc Andre. The whole team is... Off. Sid always rooms with Flower. But now he is just taking a room with Jordan I think. I'm not sure.

I sat on the bed with my phone, I had just gotten an Instagram, and I could barely make an account. Seriously, there are already six people pretending to be me, and a couple of fanpages. Marc Andre came into the room and I said, "Come take a picture with me Flower!"

He jumped up next to me, like a little puppy and I smiled. "I just got an Instagram and I want to prove that I'm who I seem to be." I snapped a picture of us looking like we were super excited. "What should I caption it?"

Marc Andre laughed, "I have no idea. Just don't talk shit about the Blue Jackets. That's how athletes get in serious trouble."

I nodded, and came up with my caption. "Never been to Ohio before. Just chilling." I said while typing. I went to all the fanpages and called Marc Andre over. "Look! I have over fifty comments already!"

I read through them, and some of them were awesome. Like, 'OMG MARCH WILSON!!!! I LOVE YOU YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION FOREVER!' but others were move like, 'ew. You suck. I'm glad ur not playing. Thank you Kovalchuk!' Oh the joys of having fans.

I put my phone down when Flower started talking. "I have some prank ideas. For Sid and James."

Pranks? Sounds like something right up my alley! "Ok, go on."

"I'm thinking we just totally destroy them before practice. I'm thinking shoe checks tonight and tomorrow morning we can sneak into our locker room...."

THE NEXT MORNING - SIDNEY'S POV

I held my burning hot coffee in one hand, and my hockey duffle in the other. For some reason I just couldn't get the straps over my shoulder right now. I threw it over again, spilling coffee all over my gray hoodie. Damn I am NOT having the best morning. Got up late, jammed my fingers in the car door and now I can feel the coffee on my chest. I ran into the arena, knowing I'm aleady late. I ran into James on the way in, successfully getting some coffee- scratch that- A LOT of coffee all pver him too. Usually my mornings aren't this bad.

He took off his sweatshirt and threw it over my head. I mus have looked like an idiot, or like a coatrack as I stood there for a few seconds and let him have a good laugh. "No." I said after a minute or two, and slammed it to the floor.

We walked in, and almost everyone was ready. March was sitting in her stall and she was wearing jeans and the UCLA sweatshirt she wore that first day when I was introduced to her for the first time. Her brunette curls were tied in a low ponytail and she was sitting next to Flower.

"Good morning" I said curtly.

"You look like shit." Flower said, and March stifled a giggle and looked at her black converse that had been drawn on with pink and purple marker. I had the thought for just a second that she had slept with him. They are rooming together this trip, and she's all giggly and blushing.

I sighed and yawned. "Yeah, I know."

James walked by and sat down next to March. "Ughhh I don't want to practiiiiiice. You're so luckyyyyy."

She elbowed him and said, "I'm not lucky, and you're not going to be very lucky either if you don't get ready."

I turned my back to them and put on my hockey attire and started with pads and then the jersey.

I started to tie my skates when suddenly the lace was pulled apart in my hands. I looked at it in surprise, but discarded it and started again. I got down a little more and then SNAP! There goes another one. Ughh these laces are as annoying as hell. I continued and snap! A third one. This is someone's doing. I picked up the skate and examined the laces. They weren't cut with scissors, that's for sure. This one was not one of the lazy guys. I looked for more cuts, and about five minutes later, I found another cut, just about to snap, but there were enough strings attatched that it would only take one pull for it to break in half. Crafty.

"Argh!" Someone yelled, and I looked over to see James doused in water. "Who's the asshole?"

I called, "My laces were cut!"

James rolled his eyes, "I'm gonna get whoever did this!"

I left my skates out to go get new laces. I relaced the skates quicker than I thought I was capable of. I was impressed with my time.

I left my stall to go talk to Geno about a quick play, and when I came back I put on my skates. James was doing the same, and his hair looked perfect again. Only Nealer.

I took my hockey stick and tried to get my gloves off the top. I got the gloves and of course, an unwanted shower of water. "Damn I'm an idiot!"

James laughed, along with everyone else, "C'mon bro, I JUST did that! Look out for this kind of a thing! My laces were sliced too."

I pulled on my gloves and screamed as white stuff started to ooze out. "Aw c'mon! Shaving cream?" I groaned. "You have GOT to be kidding me. You SUCK!"

Everyone laughed and I moaned, "C'mon you guys! I don't know if I'll be able to get this shit out!" I started dumping my glove out over the trash can. "To whoever did this, I will get you back!"

"Really?" James said in annoyance.

"What happened to you?"

"There is wrapped BUBBLE GUM stuffed in the finger tips of my gloves and I can't get it out!"

I laughed along with the rest of the team.

And I should have expected what came next. James and I skated out, trying to be fast, and we're both flat on our faces soon after. "Clear tape?" James yelled, "Really? Classy!"

I laughed as we sat on the ice together, and I looked at Marc Andre and March standing at the enterance, and she slapped him a high five. I'm no lip reader, but it looked to me like Flower said, "Mission accomplished."

Coach Dan skated out and was laughing too. "Whoever did this, thank you! We needed the team to loosen up!" Ah, that was the intention. It just had to be. "Now let's play some hockey!"
♠ ♠ ♠
*For all readers who know the song Roaslita (come out tonight) I was listening to it and the lyric, "Now you're sad/you're momma's mad/and you're papa sadly knows that I don't have any money/ played just as I wrote this and I had some fun with a 3 lyric parody. Okay, okay I'll let myself out.

But this is pretty much a filler chapter. Sorry the update took so long. I had the whole thing typed out, and i typed it on my iPhone and accidentally deleted it. So sorry. I hope you guys are still interested in this. You guys are the best! So let me ask you something. Who do you like March with best?
-Marc Andre
-James
-Sidney
-Someone else!

Tell me! Or just comment anything.
Thanks for reading!