‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Thirteen

Elise took a cab from the airport to Max and Zoe’s place the next day. It was early afternoon and Max waited on the front steps when the cab pulled up. He rushed over to pull her bags from the trunk. Zoe waved from the doorway. She followed behind Max and he dropped her bags in the entryway. Max pulled her to him for a hug but stopped and studied her face.

“Mother fucker! What did he do to you?” Max said hotly. “I will kill him. I told you, Zoe. I told you that he wasn’t good enough for her!” Zoe pushed Max out of the way and pulled Elise to her.

“Are you okay?” Zoe asked softly.

Elise burst into tears. “Its all my fault!” she managed between sobs. Max paced and muttered in french.

“Shut up, Max!” Zoe yelled at him. She steered Elise to the couch and sat her down, taking the spot beside her. “Tell me what happened so I can decide whether I’m going to kill him or not.”

“He didn’t do anything, I swear. I saw Henri last night.”

Max froze. “You saw him, in New York?”

“Yes. And Brigitte. She spilled a drink on me, total accident but when I saw it was her, I lost it. I pulled out some of her hair.”

“I don’t see what the big deal is then. That is a perfectly normal girl reaction,” Max said. “Why are you crying?”

Elise turned to Zoe. “He is so mad at me, Zoe. He was angry and he left me at the bar. Hank took me home.”

“He did what?!” Max yelled. “Where is your phone?” he asked Zoe. “I’m going to give that piece of shit a piece of my mind.”

“Sit down and shut up, Max Talbot,” Zoe commanded him. He paused in his pacing but took a seat.

“Elise, why was Sean angry? That does not sound like the Sean I know, to leave you behind. What happened?”

Elise took a deep breath. “He didn't know,” she whispered.

Zoe stared at her. “Oh fuck.” Elise looked up and met her eye. “Oh fuck,” she repeated. “You didn’t tell him Henri was your fiance?”

“He knew he was my ex boyfriend. I didn't tell him we were engaged.”

“Why the hell didn’t you tell him?” Max asked from his chair.

“I don’t know! We were barely even friends when I told him why I had moved to New York and it just seemed easier to refer to him as an ex boyfriend instead of my ex fiance. Like maybe I wasn’t a complete failure. But I am! Brigitte and Henri are married. They got married a month ago.”

“Elise, you are not a failure. Henri is a moron and Brigitte is a hoe bag,” Zoe said. Elise smiled. “Let me talk to Sean, smooth things out.”

Max frowned. “He left her in a bar!”

“Max Talbot, if I had an ex fiance that you did not know about, you would’ve done the same thing. Don’t try to deny it.” He grumbled and reluctantly agreed. “Take Elise’s things upstairs. Elise, get unpacked, take a nap. We have dinner reservations at 8 so just relax, okay?” She nodded and followed Max up the stairs. Zoe grabbed her phone and stepped out onto the back patio. Sean answered on the second ring.

“I’ve been waiting for this. Go ahead, I'm ready. Rip me a new one,” Sean said.

“Oh, Sean,” Zoe sighed. “You left her in a bar?”

“Ok, that was bad, I admit it. I shouldn’t have left her in the bar. Hank reamed me out for that. Thankfully he was there and looked out for her. But she had a fiance and she never told me! I’ve told her everything about my exes, even all the fucked up shit that went down with Hilary and she never went back and mentioned that she had a fiance!“

“Sean, I’m sorry. Look, I have to know. Can you forgive her? Can you move past this?”

“I don’t know, Zoe.”

“Sean, it was a mistake. She should’ve told you, I agree with you but can’t you understand why she didn’t? Her fiance had been cheating on her for six months with her roommate and she didn't even know it. Henri probably would’ve married her and kept Brigitte on the side if it hadn’t been for the fact that she walked in on them.”

“She lied to me.”

“She didn’t lie. She omitted a minor detail.”

“A fiance is not minor.”

“Sean....”

“I need some time.”

“Don’t put your walls up, Avery. Not with her. Please. Just give her a chance to explain herself. Come this weekend still.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Sean Avery, if you are not at my front door Thursday evening as planned, I will hop a train to New York City and end your life.”

"I'’ll think about it, Zoe. That’s all I’m going to promise you.”

“Do you remember how many times you pushed me to talk to Max, to take him back?”

“Yeah. So?”

“You have to give Elise a chance, Sean. I know you really like her. Its written all over your face. When she walks into a room, your eyes light up. I know that sparkle. I haven’t seen that in a long time and I like that look on you. You like her, a lot. You probably even love her. Please, just be here Thursday like we planned.”

“Fine, Thursday,” he agreed reluctantly. “I’ll be there Thursday.”

“And bring a present. A good one. Because you do owe her some groveling for leaving her in a bar.”