‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Fifteen

Zoe sighed heavily as the elevator rose to Sean’s floor. It had been a spur of the moment decision to come into the city to see him. When he and Elise had returned less than an hour after leaving, Zoe knew things had not gone like she hoped. Sean left first thing the next morning without saying goodbye to Elise or Zoe and he had barely talked to her when Zoe called him a few days later. Zoe’s heart broke for Elise, who had spent much of the day following the failed dinner crying. Elise had returned to New York with a heavy heart but resolved that she could move on. Zoe however was determined to make Sean see the error of his ways and force him to man up.

Zoe turned her key in the lock of Sean’s door, letting herself in. He looked up from the couch. “Why am I not surprised to see you?” She sank down onto the couch beside him.

“I want to smack you around and tell you what a complete moron you are, because you totally are, but I get it.”

"Then why are you here?"

"To tell you that you are a complete moron and to get over yourself."

He chuckled and pulled Zoe into a hug, kissing the top of her head. "Sounds about right for you."

"Look, you told me once that being a friend meant telling you when to wake up and smell the roses. That's why I'm here."

"Zoe, I-"

She cut him off. "Just listen to me, Aves." He nodded and she continued. "I don't want you to miss out on what might be the best thing to ever happen in your life."

"I thought you were the best thing to ever happen to me?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm trying to be serious here."

"My apologies. Please continue."

"I understand why you feel like she lied. It's a big part of her to omit. But you have to know she didn't do that on purpose. It wasn't to be malicious to you. Henri damaged her and she doesn't think she's good enough, for anyone. I understand that. Before Max, do you remember Brad? Do you remember how I was after him, after he cheated on me? It hurts to be disrespected like that, to feel like its your fault. It took awhile for me to get past that; it took meeting Max. And I think meeting you was the changing point for Elise."

"She shouldn't feel like that. Henri is the asshole, not her."

"We know that but I also understand how she feels and I need you to understand that too. She’s a good person Sean. She makes you a better person. You want to be the person she makes you feel like. Admit it.” Sean held silent and Zoe shook her head. “Stop being so stubborn, Sean. I know. I can see it in your face. I see it when she walks into a room. I see it in your smile. You like her. You probably already love her.”

He grumbled. “I don’t know about all that.”

“If I weren't married, I’d pull a page from your playbook and kiss the shit out of you and then demand to know who were thinking about because it wouldn’t be me.”

“Come over here and let’s see. I won’t tell Max,” Sean teased, grabbing for Zoe.

“Sean!” she squealed, swatting him. She kissed his cheek softly and he threw an arm around her shoulder, crushing her to him. She rested her head on his chest and they sat in silence for several minutes.

“Is she on your mind? Is she in your heart?” Zoe asked quietly.

Sean kissed the top of her head. “Yes,” he replied easily.

She peered up at him, grinning victoriously. “You have to forgive this.”

“I don’t know, Zoe.”

“Stop thinking about this, Sean. Just do what you feel. Let your heart guide and you all that bull shit.”

Sean laughed. “You really have a way with words.”

Zoe giggled. “Well I try.”

“I really messed up, didn’t I?”

“No, not entirely. You both have fault in this. You just have to quit being insecure about it. Elise likes you. She really likes you, Sean Avery, world class douchebag.”

“So eloquent you are.”

“Its a gift,” Zoe shrugged.

“So now what?”

“Now you have to make it up to her. And I have just the plan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Its short, its filler...and there are only two chapters left. ;)