‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Sixteen

"I'm setting you up on a date," Zoe announced when Elise answered her phone at her office later that afternoon.

"What? Zoe, no," Elise replied.

"Yes. Don't bother trying to protest. You deserve a really great guy and I am going to help you find him."

"But Zoe-" Elise began before she was cut off.

"No buts. Sean is an idiot, ok? He doesn't know what he's missing out on. So you are going to get all dolled up and go out on an amazing, douchebag free date. With a really nice guy. Oh, he's also super hot."

"Who is he?"

"A friend of Hank's," she replied. "Don't worry. He doesn't play hockey."

"I know you aren't going to let up so I won't bother fighting you. I'll go. When is this date happening?"

"Tomorrow night."

"And what should I wear?"

"Not to worry, I am taking care of that. I'm having my favorite Madison Avenue boutique pull you something insanely gorgeous, my treat."

"Zoe!"

"What?" She asked innocently. "I owe you a birthday present."

"You're too much."

"I know. Now, you're being picked up tomorrow at 7 so be ready. He will meet you at the restaurant."

"How will I know who he is?"

"You won't. But he'll know you."

When Elise returned home for the evening, a package awaited her at the front desk. She tucked the wrapped box under her arm and hit the up button for the elevator. When the doors slid open, she found herself face to face with Sean.

"Hey," he said as he stepped off the elevator.

"Hey," she repeated. He held the elevator door until she was inside. He gave her a sad smile and let the doors close between them.

Inside her apartment, Elise chucked the box onto the couch, forgetting it immediately. She stalked to her room and threw off her work clothes. She slipped into a short skirt, a pair of knee high boots, and a very low cut sweater. She walked back to the living room and grabbed her cell phone, sending a text to Michael.

Hey. I need a drink. Where should I go?

Some of us are at a bar near you. Wanna join us?

Is that okay? I know we haven't talked lately....

It's okay, Elise. We're friends, right? Besides, I can't wait to hear what Avery did to screw up and what type of punishment Zoe doled out.

What's the address? :)


Twenty minutes later, Elise was crossing the bar and hugging Michael. She waved hellos to some of the other players.

"What's your poison?" Michael asked, gesturing towards the bar. Elise followed him and he caught the bartender attention.

"Swamp juice," Elise told the bartender sweetly. He stared at her blankly. "May I?" She asked, gesturing towards the bar. He nodded and she stepped around to the opening and behind the bar.

"I need everclear, vodka, blue curaçao and orange juice," Elise said to him. He gathered the drinks and set then before her. Michael leaned against the bar and watched with interest. She poured everclear in first, then vodka, and topped the glass off with orange juice. A pour of the blue curaçao and a twirl of the glass turned the whole concoction green. Michael grinned as Elise passed him the drink.

"This is great!" Elise grinned and made another for herself as the bartender jotted down on a napkin the drink recipe.

"Thank you," Elise said sweetly to him, stepping back to the other side of the bar.

"Put them on my tab," Michael told him. He steered her away from the others and to a table. “So tell me what happened.”

Elise shrugged. “Nothing to tell.”

“Come on, Elise. I know you’re lying. What happened with Sean? I know you two were seeing each other and now you’re not. I’ve seen him out with Hank and he’s moping.”

“He’s not moping. Sean Avery does not mope.”

“I thought so too but he was definitely moping. Like someone had kicked his puppy. What gives?”

She shook her head. “Things didn’t work out,” she answered.

“Fine, I won’t push. Dance?”

“Sure.” They finished their drinks and then made their way out to the crowded space that made up the dance floor. After several songs, they made for the bar to grab another round of drinks. The bartender grinned at them and made up the drink Elise had demonstrated. He passed them off and Elise took a sip.
“Perfect!” she exclaimed. They walked back to where his teammates were hanging out and Elise spotted Hank among them. She walked over to give him a hug.

“So is my mystery date here tonight?” Elise asked him. His head tilted to one side, processing the question. “You know, my blind date tomorrow night? Zoe told me he’s a friend of yours so is he here? Can I catch a sneak peek?”

Hank smiled. “Not here,” he answered. “Plus its a blind date which means no peeking.”

“A hint?” Hank shook his head. “You’re no fun.”

Hank smiled and Elise turned her attention to Brian Boyle, who called a question out to her from across the table that required a womans perspective. Hank pulled his cell phone from his pocket and sent a message to Zoe.

What blind date?

Ah shit! You’re hanging out with Elise?

No; I’m at the bar with some of the guys and she showed up. Think MDZ invited her.

Fuck! Look, I told her I was setting her up on a date with a guy that is friends with you that is not a hockey player. That’s all she knows.

Ok...is it a friend of mine?

Yes. That’s all you need to know. Just make sure she doesn’t go home with Del Zotto, please?

You got it. You coming up next weekend for the charity date auction?

And miss my chance to buy you for a night? ;) I’ll be there.


Elise giggled softly as Michael helped her out of the bar. “Elise, where are you keys?”

“I dunno!” she slurred, leaning against him. He spotted Hank exiting the bar and called out to him. Hank walked over.

“What's up Mikey?”

“I can’t find her keys.”

Hank nodded and pulled out his phone. “Sean? I need a favor....”

Sean met Hank at the front door of the building and Hank passed Elise off to him. “Thanks for helping, man. I knew you had a key to Zoe’s place and didn’t know what else to do to get her home.”

“No problem,” Sean shrugged. He put an arm around Elise and she snuggled into his side, taking a deep breath.

“You smell nice, like fresh laundry and apple pie,” Elise breathed.

“Come on, Elise. Time for bed,” Sean said, leading her on to the elevator. She wrapped her arms around his middle as he walked her to her door, slipping his key in the lock and letting them in. He picked Elise up and carried her to the bedroom, laying her down in the bed and pulling the covers over her. He went back out to the kitchen and came back a moment later, setting a water bottle and two aspirin on the bedside table. He slipped out of her room, but not before he heard her whisper his name.