‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Three

Sean heard his name being called from across the room and he looked up to see Hank waving at him. He grabbed his beer and joined his friend. The Rangers had won earlier in the evening and about half the team was in the bar, some relaxing, others picking up girls from around the room.

Hank and Sean talked for forty five minutes before Hank ventured back to the bar for another round of drinks. He returned to the table and set a beer in front of Sean, grinning.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Sean asked.

"No reason," Hank replied. "Just ran into a friend of yours at the bar."

"Yeah? Is she cute?"

"Very, Mr. Avery," Elise said. "At least that's what the king tells me," she teased, taking the empty chair beside Hank with a smile aimed at him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sean scowled. It had been a month since Max and Zoe's party. Elise crossed his mind more than he'd ever admit, and she had starred in a few x rated dreams he had had in that time as well.

"It's nice to see you too, Sean."

Hank rolled his eyes. "Forgive Sean; he has no manners. What he means is, what brings you to the Big Apple? Visiting?"

"I moved here a week ago. Job transfer. Needed out of Montreal anyways so here I am." Hank nodded.

"Hockey fan?"

Elise laughed lightly. "Of course. I'm Canadian and friends with Max. You think I could get by in life if I wasn't following him?"
"So you're a Flyers fan?"

"I'm a good hometown girl so I pull for the Canadiens but I am still very partial to the Penguins. I plan on seeing if the Rangers can grow on me though since I'm living here now."

"We play night after next. I can leave you a ticket if you like. You can sit with Sean; he'll be there."

"I don't babysit," Sean spoke up surly.

Elise nodded curtly. "I don't recall asking you too. I'm quite capable of taking care of myself." She turned back to Hank. "That would be nice, Hank. Would you mind if I brought a friend to keep me company?"

"I'll leave two tickets in your name."

"Thank you, Hank. You could really teach a class on how to talk to a woman, you know that?" Elise shot a pointed look at Sean and he frowned.

"Excuse me," Hank said as he rose from his chair. "I need to go say hello to some people."

Elise sipped quietly from her drink while Sean stewed in his seat. "What is your deal? Are you always such a douche?" She finally asked.

"You wound me, Elise. Couldn't stay away from me, could you?"

"Hardly. I didn't know you'd be here. I didn't even know you lived here."

"I'm an owner in this place," Sean said, gesturing to the restaurant surrounding them.

"Oh. Well, I didn't know but it is very nice."

"Where are you staying?"

"Max and Zoe are letting me stay at their apartment until I find something."

"We're neighbors then."

"Neighbors?" She repeated.

Sean grinned. "Zoe bought that place because its in my building. I live on the top floor. She didn't mention though that you were staying at her place."

"Oh? Is that a problem?"

Sean leaned across the table, his face inches from hers. She leaned in towards him and Sean smirked slyly. He cupped Elise's chin in his hands. "No problem; you're off limits." He settled back in his chair and watched her.

"Excuse me?"

"Off limits, Elise. I have been instructed that you are off limits to me and after my foolish and boorish behavior in Charlotte, I will heed my friends warning. By the way, I also owe you an apology for that. I am sorry for the inappropriate things I may have said or done that night."

"Who are you and what have you done with Sean Avery?"

"Do you want me to walk you home? I was planning to leave soon anyways and since we're going to the same place..." He shrugged as he trailed off.

Elise studied him but his face was blank and unreadable. "Who told you I was off limits?" She asked after several silent moments.

"Zoe," he shrugged.

"Of course," she remarked casually, sipping from her drink.

Sean rolled his eyes. "Is this where you tell me again how I'm in love with her?"

"Who are you in love with?" Hank asked, rejoining the pair. Sean shot him a look. "Oh, we're talking about Zoe, huh?"

"I'm out, Hank. I'll see you after the game Friday." He pushed back from the table and rose to his feet. Elise followed his lead.

"Leaving so soon?" Hank asked her.

Elise nodded. "Apparently I live in the same building as Sean and he offered to walk me home."

"Don't let him take advantage of that."

"He won't. I'm off limits; Zoe told him so." Hank laughed.

"I take it back; I'm not walking you home," Sean muttered, turning and stalking off.

"It was nice to meet you, Hank. I look forward to seeing you play," Elise said warmly.

Hank smiled. "Two tickets," he promised her, grabbing her hand and placing a soft kiss to the back of it. She waved goodbye and made her way through the crowded room and out the front door, pulling her coat tightly around her. She turned left and took two steps forward when Sean's voice called out to her.

"We're this way."

She turned and walked over to where he stood leaning against the outside of the restaurant. "Thought you rescinded your offer."

He shrugged, pushing off the wall and set off, Elise matching his strides. "Because what I really want in life is to cross Max and Zoe all in one fell swoop. No thank you." They walked in silence for two blocks. They stopped, waiting for the light to change to cross the street.

“I’m not in love with her,” Sean said quietly. “I was once but I knew after she met Max that any chance I had was gone. She’ll always be in my heart but Zoe is just a friend and I know that. She’s stuck by me through everything and I never want to lose her.”

"I think that's very lovely. But if she owns your heart, how can anyone else get in?"

"She doesn't own my heart. I know what people think, what they say, and I don't care. I'd do anything for her because I know she'd do anything for me. She's my best friend and that's that."

"Why her?"

"I'm a douchebag, a complete shit and no one puts up with me the way she does. I need someone to call me on my bullshit and that's what she's always done. Our friendship is perfect for us. It just works, you know? Max is probably the first and only guy who has ever tolerated our friendship exactly as it is without trying to change us. I like that about him. When Zoe and I were together, we were toxic, a bad habit, but Max is perfect, her balance. That's not something I can do for her."

"When was the last time you had a girlfriend?"

"I date," Sean said defiantly.

"I didn't say you didn't. But how about your last serious relationship?"

"It's been awhile."

"Because of Zoe?"

"No!" Sean was adamant and stopped, turning to face Elise. "I fucked up with my last girlfriend and I haven't been able to bring myself to get serious with anyone since. It was before Zoe met Max."

Elise nodded. "Now that I understand you a little better, Sean, I don't think you're in love with Zoe and I'm sorry I teased you tonight. I think the friendship you two have is something everyone should have. I wish I had a friendship with someone that was even just a fifth of how deeply you care for each other."

"What are you doing tomorrow?" Sean blurted.

"No plans," Elise smiled. "Would you like to show me around town?"

"I was thinking we could go to Central Park?"

Elise clapped excitedly. "Yes! I haven't had a chance to go yet and I really want to."

"Consider me your tour guide to the city then."

"Thank you, Sean."

He pointed. "That's our building just ahead." Elise nodded.

"I'll be sure to tell Max to tell Zoe you were a perfect gentleman tonight."

"She'll never buy that," Sean replied with a chuckle.

They walked into the building and then onto the elevator. The doors slid open on the fifth floor. Elise placed a soft kiss on Sean's cheek. "Thanks for walking me home. I'll see you tomorrow!" She called out as she stepped off and headed down the hall.

The elevator doors closed behind her and Sean rode to his top floor apartment. He stepped off and grabbed the bottle of scotch from the bar, pouring himself a glass and downing it quickly.

“What the fuck am I doing?” he wondered aloud.