‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Six

Sean heard his phone ringing an hour later. He had been standing in the middle of his kitchen, lost in a world of his own thoughts for at least the last 20 minutes. He grabbed for the phone, checking the display even though the ringtone told him exactly who'd be on the other end.

"Hey Zoe," he answered.

"What did I tell you? I told you to keep away, that she was not a play thing, and you didn't listen! Why am I not surprised? Do you know the kind of damage control I'm going to have to do with Max when he finds out? I could just murder you right now!"

"I didn't do anything!" Sean protested. "I kept my promise to you. You told me she's off limits, I'm treating her as off limits. Hank saw her at Warren’s yesterday after the game and brought her over to sit with us. Why didn't you tell me she was staying at your place?"

"I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

"We live in the same building; how in the hell did you think that was going to work?"

"I don't know! Ugh! Max is going to shit a brick when he finds out she was with you."

"Nothing happened Zoe. Look, I walked her home last night. Perfect gentleman shit and all that; figured you and Max would be more pissed if I left her to find her own way home. I offered to show her around today so we wandered around Central Park all day and had lunch. Then we rode the carousel and then I brought her back to your place. The end."

"That's all that happened?" Zoe asked suspiciously.

"I swear on everything that is good and holy that is all that happened. We had fun. It was nice."

"It was nice? Sean Avery what is wrong with you?? Elise is a hot piece and you took her to Central Park? What the fuck?"

"Wait, wait, wait. I am so confused now. You want me to take her out?"

"No! But Jesus, if you're going to anyways, couldn't you have picked something exciting instead of something so touristy?"

"Hank invited her to the Rangers game tomorrow. Do you want me to take her out after?"

"Hell no. But don't you dare let any of those boys near her either. So help me God, I'm trusting you to watch out for her."

Sean sighed. "You're holding me to a standard I'm not familiar with."

"I'm holding you to a standard you are perfectly capable of upholding. I know you're a good guy and I expect you to be good to Elise. Which means you can not let your former teammates hit on her, you can not date her, and for gods sake, don't you even think about fucking her. I will personally cut your balls off if you do."

"Okay, okay! I get it Zoe. I told you that I understood she was off limits and I'll stand by that. I will keep my hands to myself."

"I'm trusting you."

"You can trust me, I promise." Sean heard the door slam in the background and Max’s voice yelling in French. He could make out his name, Elise’s name and several curse words. Next thing he knew, Max was angrily in his ear.

“Vous merde! Restez à l'écart d'Elise, je baise que cela signifie. Je vais te tuer, Avery, vous tuer si vous pensez même pas à la toucher.” (You piece of shit! Stay away from Elise, I fucking mean it. I will kill you, Avery, kill you if you even think about touching her.)

“I understood shit, Elise, and Avery. I’m pretty positive that you did not say Elise is shit so yes, I am shit but I swear to God Max, nothing happened.”

“Stay away,” he warned.

“Jesus Christ you two. Zoe told me she’s off limits, I’m minding my manners. I showed her around New York City. Would you like me to leave her to fend for herself? No problem, you got it.”

Zoe took the phone away from Max. “Just don’t be douche Sean, okay? I know you have it in you. Be nice, respect her, and don’t try to date her.”

“I’m done Zo. I’m staying away so you better call Hank and tell him to be her babysitter because I’m out.”

“Sean!” He heard the pout in her voice.

“No! Absolutely not. Do not turn your pouty face on me through the phone. Put your husband on the phone now,” Sean commanded. Zoe sighed but did as told.

“What?” Max growled.

“I have done nothing untold to your friend. She hasn't been sullied by me and she won’t be. I will not come within ten feet of her, okay? Don’t go worrying your pretty little head over it. Your dear friend will remain virtuous and pure and untouched by me. Now will you two please leave me the fuck alone about her?” Sean ended the call and threw his phone on the counter, letting out an exasperated sigh.

Max turned to Zoe as he set her phone down. “So, I think we might be over protective and/or overbearing.”

“When it comes to Sean Avery, there is no such thing,” Zoe responded. “She’s your friend, Max. You have two choices here. I can lay down the law with Sean or I can give him free range. Your choice. But remember this; if not him, then it will be someone else. Hank invited her to the Rangers game tomorrow and I guarantee you that he will invite her out with them after the game, which means she will meet those guys. So it can be one of them that you don’t know or it can be Sean who we do know. Which is the lesser of two evils?”

“Why can’t I pick none of the above?”

Zoe sidled up beside Max and curled herself against his side. “Do I need to be worried about Elise? Is this my karmic retribution for being best friends with a guy and loving Danny more than you?”

Max pulled her to him and kissed her. “Je n'ai d'yeux que pour toi, mon amour. Je ne veux pas voir sa blessure.” (I only have eyes for you, my love. I just don't want to see her hurt.)

“Je sais, mais nous pouvons faire confiance Sean. Nous devons juste apprendre à lui faire confiance avec elle.” (I know but we can trust Sean. We just have to learn to trust him with her.)
♠ ♠ ♠
I got a google chromebook today.....I'm so excited!!!! I should be able to update way more regularly now, yeah!! Thank you for your continued comments. I really appreciate them and I apologize I haven't been responding to them.