‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Seven

The next afternoon, Elise knocked on Sean’s door at four o’clock. He opened the door wearing a pair of slacks, hanging low on his hips. The V’d muscles at his hips made her mouth go dry and she wondered what’d it be like to lick her way down his abs.

“Can I help you?” Sean asked.

Elise licked her lips and shook her head to clear the thoughts away. She held up the two bags she was carrying. “I thought I’d make dinner before the game? To say thank you for yesterday?” He held the door opened wider and stepped aside so Elise could enter. She took her things into his kitchen and set them on the counter. Sean followed and leaned against the sink and watched her move through his kitchen.

“What are you making?” Sean asked.

“Chicken fricassee,” Elise answered.

“Need help?”

“No, I've got it. But thank you.”

Sean nodded and pushed away from the counter. “I was just about to get in the shower. Holler if you need anything.” Elise nodded as Sean stepped around her and walked down the hall to his bedroom, closing the door behind him. Elise began to work on preparing the food as she heard the shower turn on. She had just finished browning the chicken when she heard the shower turn off. She continued cooking and when Sean rejoined her in the kitchen, she was just putting the dish into the oven. She turned to him and smiled.

“Should be ready in about half an hour,” Elise said. Sean nodded and grabbed a beer from the fridge. He offered one to Elise but she politely declined and poured herself a glass of wine that she had brought with her. Sean moved to sit on the couch, drinking from his beer and Elise joined him, sitting at the opposite end. They sat silently for ten minutes before Elise finally broke the quiet.

“Are you giving me the silent treatment on purpose?”

“Yes.”

She stared at him incredulously. “Are you kidding me? Yes?!”

Sean nodded. “Yes.”

“Why? I thought we were becoming friends. Yesterday was nice.”

“I can’t be friends with you, Elise.”

She stood abruptly. “Excuse me?”

“I can’t be friends with you,” he repeated. “Look, you’re nice and all but I’m Sean Avery
and this, this is not happening, ever.”

“So you can predict the future now?”

“Yes.”

Elise rolled her eyes and stomped into the kitchen, grabbing her purse and heading for the door. “Food should be done in about fifteen to twenty minutes,” she said before slamming out the door.

~*~*~


Elise picked up her tickets at will call. As promised, Hank had left her two tickets, but she hadn’t bothered to invite anyone else along with her, assuming after the day they had spent together yesterday that she’d just stick by Sean. She smiled at the ticket agent and turned away, walking towards the turnstile to have her ticket scanned. She wandered the concourse of Madison Square Garden, taking in the sight of it. Following the signs, she made her way to the section her seat was in, climbing down the stairs and settling into her seat as warm ups started. Hank skated around the goal and then looked up in the stands for Elise, waving when he spotted her.

When the game ended, with the Rangers beating the Islanders, Elise waited in her seat while the stands slowly cleared out. Hank had left her passes so she could get down to the locker room and she waited, leaving enough time for them to deal with the media, shower, and dress. After twenty minutes, she headed out, stopping a security guard to ask for directions. The kind gentleman walked with her to make sure she got there without getting lost. She thanked him when she spotted Hank leaning against the wall outside the locker room.

“Nice jersey,” Hank said as he saw Elise approaching.

She smiled at him and quickened her pace, giving him a hug when she reached him. “I hope Zoe won't mind I borrowed it. She had several Rangers jerseys left behind in her closet.”

“Whose is it?”

“Yours,” Elise blushed. Hank smiled and put his arm around her shoulders.

“Good choice. Why not Aves? I know there are a few of those to choose from.”

Elise frowned. “Mr. Avery is a world class ass hole,” Elise muttered, her hand flying to her mouth as soon as the words were out. Hank threw his head back and laughed.

“Yes he is,” he said, guiding her into the locker room. Elise immediately wrinkled her nose. “Sorry; there’s no help for that smell.”

“Doesn't matter who the team is, the smell is always the same. Like sweaty socks left in a gym bag on a 100 degree day, baking in the car.”

“You wanna come out with us? We’re going to a bar nearby.”

“Sure.”

“Who's your friend, Hank?” a voice teased from behind them.

Hank turned. “Elise, this is Michael Del Zotto and Brian Boyle. Guys, this is Elise.”

“How do you know Hank?” Brian asked.

“I met him two days ago,” Elise answered.

“She’s friends with Talbot and Zoe,” Hank explained.

“How do you know them?” Michael asked.

“Grew up with Max.” The two men nodded.

“You guys ready?” A new voice yelled from the doorway.

“That’s Ryan Callahan, or just Cally,” Hank said in Elise’s ear. “He’s the captain.” Elise nodded. “Follow me,” Hank said, leading Elise out to his car. He held the door open for her and once she had settled into the seat, closed the door behind her before jogging around the car and getting in himself. When they pulled up to the bar, Hank beat her around the car to open the door for her again. She stood outside the car and slipped the Rangers jersey off, revealing a long sleeve shirt underneath with a deep v-cut. With her jeans and simple heels, she looked effortless, sexy without trying. Hank smiled and offered his arm to her, pleased to have her on his arm as they entered the club. They went straight to the VIP area and stopped at the bar, grabbing drinks for themselves before joining Hank’s teammates.

Three hours flew by, Elise dancing, chatting, and laughing with Hank and his teammates. Before the night was over, she had exchanged numbers with Michael. Hank drove her home and she kissed his cheek lightly before climbing from his car, thanking him for the ticket and for letting her hang with him for the night. She had barely entered her own apartment when her phone dinged, alerting her to a new text message.

Hey, it’s Michael.

What’s up?

Are you coming to the game tomorrow?

Yes; Hank invited me.

Do you maybe want to grab an early lunch before?

Ok, sure. What time?

12:30?

Great. Text me the address and I’ll meet you there.