‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Eight

Zoe threw open the door to Sean’s apartment, the door thudding and then bouncing back at her. She caught it and slammed it behind her. “Sean Avery! I am going to fucking kill you!”

Sean groaned and pulled the covers around him, rolling onto his stomach and burying his head under a pillow. It had been two weeks since Elise had moved to town and he had studiously avoided her since the failed dinner in his apartment when he had been a complete jackass. He had wanted to charge out after her and pull her in his arms and apologize the instant she was out his door but he stayed put. He had wanted to use his key to let himself into her apartment and tell her how sorry he was but he didn’t. He had learned quickly when she came and went for work so he could avoid meeting her in the elevator. He knew from Hank that Del Zotto had taken her out a few times and he had been waiting for a call from Zoe but it had never come. That she was now in his apartment, at 8am on a Saturday morning, truly came as no shock.

He felt the weight of the bed shift as Zoe climbed onto the bed, standing over Sean. “I know you’re not sleeping,” she announced.

“Go away,” he said from under the pillow. Zoe sank down, straddling his back and lightly slapped the back of his head.

“No. Get up. We need to talk.” He groaned.

“I’m not her keeper.”

“I told you not to let any of those guys take her out.”

“She’s a big girl.”

“Were you even there?”

“Nope.”

“No?! Sean!” she shrieked. “I asked you to watch out for her!” He rolled, grabbing Zoe by the waist and throwing her off of him before getting off the bed. She sat up on her elbows and stared at him crossly.

“No, Zoe, you told me not to even think about touching her, that she wasn’t my fucking type. Then you yelled at me for being a good guy and taking her out for an afternoon at Central Park, because I thought that was the right thing to do, that you and Max would be grateful that I didn’t leave his friend to figure out the city by herself. And then you told me that it was my responsibility not to let any of the guys date her. And I told you that I was done. I haven’t talked to Elise in two weeks, not since the night she came to make me dinner and I acted like an asshole to get rid of her.”

“You let her go to the Rangers game by herself.”

“Hank left her two tickets; she said she was going to bring a friend.”

“She didn't. She thought you were going to be there. She’s been going to games by herself and hanging out with Michael after. And going out on dates with him. Dates, Sean! Max is ready to kill him and they play each other tonight!”

“Is that tonight?” Sean shrugged. “Didn’t know.”

“When was the last time you went to a game?”

“Before she got here.”

“You're avoiding her!” Sean rolled his eyes and Zoe jumped off the bed, blocking his path out of the room. “Sean! Talk to me, please.”

“What do you want me to say Zoe? You told me no.”

“You like her.”

“Have you met Elise? She’s fucking perfect. Of course I like her! She’s beautiful without even trying, she’s sweet, and she doesn’t take my shit. She puts me in my place with a look. A fucking look, Zoe! There’s only one other person who can do that and I’m talking to her right now!”

“Holy shit! Holy fucking shit!” Zoe studied Sean as he sank onto the bed. “I’m sorry, Sean. Its just, Max is protective of her. All of the Talbot brothers are. And well, you’re you. You’re not really known for being a gentleman. You’re kind of a prick.”

“Gee, thanks,” Sean said sarcastically.

“You know what I mean,” Zoe said, sitting down beside him. He put his arm around Zoe’s shoulder and she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tight. “I’m a total bitch, you’re a prick. It's why we’re friends. And Elise deserves so much more than that.”

“I’m not good enough for her.”

“It’s just not supposed to be you. Fuck; this is all coming out wrong.”

“Just say it, Zoe. I’m not good enough for her.”

“It’s not that, Sean. I know you and I know that being the perfect boyfriend is in you because you’ve always been exactly what I needed you to be. Hell, you were always exactly what Hilary needed so I know its in you. But I also know you have a penchant for messing up and I can’t have you hurt her. Max would never forgive that. And I don’t know if I could either. I really like Elise and she’s become a good friend.”

“Well I told you that I’d stay away and I am. I am trying to respect the fact that you have asked me not to dick around with her but it’s really hard when you keep trying to throw her back in my face!”

“Come with us tonight.”

“What did I just tell you? No, Zoe.”

“Sean, please. I need you.”

“You don’t need me. You have Max.”

“I’ll always need you. That’s why you’re my best friend.”

“No. Don’t ask me again. The answer will still be the same.”

~*~*~


Zoe knocked on the door to her apartment an hour later and Elise swung the door open, greeting her warmly and hugging the other woman.

“How are you?” Elise asked.

“Good. Yourself?”

“Can’t complain.” Zoe followed Elise into the living room and they sat on the couch.

“Is Max here?” Elise asked.

“He’s at the hotel with the team. They're flying out tomorrow for Colorado so we’re going to go out after the game tonight. You’ll come?”

“Of course. I just need to cancel with Michael.”

Zoe frowned. “You and MDZ?”

“He’s very nice,” Elise offered.

“Oh, I know he’s very nice. And hot. I tried to hit that.”

“WHAT?!”

Zoe giggled. “I had a couple of....moments where I lacked common sense when Max and I were broke up. Don’t worry, I didn’t sleep with anyone but not for a lack of trying. Sean stopped me a couple times, Hartsy ruined it one night, and Max busted up my night with Michael. But what’s going on between you two?”

“He’s taken me out a few times, shown me around the city is all.”

“And Sean?”

“Sean made it perfectly clear that he has no interest in being my tour guide or friend.”

Zoe sighed. “That is my fault.”

“I know you told him I was off limits but why?”

"Sean is such a great guy and I love him dearly but Max would kill him if he went out with you so I told him to stay away from you.”

“He is a great guy,” Elise agreed. “When he took me to Central Park and we rode the carousel, I thought I felt something.”

“Oh God,” Zoe groaned. “You like him.”

“Except for his behavior in Charlotte, which he apologized for, Sean has been nothing but a gentleman with me. Well, a few crude remarks but he regretted them instantly.”

“I’m sorry, but are we talking about the same Sean Avery?”

Elise smiled. “I hope so because the guy you love so much and Max would trust with your life, grew on me in one day and I’ve missed him like crazy the last two weeks.”

“Jesus, I’m going to have to have an intervention."

“I’d rather you help me win his heart.”

“Max is going to kill me!” Zoe moaned, putting her head in her hands. She sat up abruptly. "Wait....what the fuck happened in Charlotte?!"