Status: Finally completed after 7 years of work!

So Long and Goodnight...

Liar Liar (Burn In Hell)

Helena’s P.O.V.

You were still slumped on the couch when you heard the distinctive sound of wheels on gravel followed by a car door slamming. You motioned for Alexa to get into the corner where she would be completely immersed in shadow and you did the same on the other side of the room, right next to the front door which your father would be walking through any minute.

You held your breath as the seconds ticked by like hours but finally you heard heavy footsteps on the porch outside. The rattling of keys told you that he was attempting to unlock the door, though he didn’t have to. You had already unlocked it.

After about the fifth time he dropped his keys, he got mad and tried the door handle just in case it might magically unlock at his touch. Much to his surprise …it opened.

“I thought I locked that s-s-stupid thing,” your father slurred drunkenly. “Oh well. Time for another beer.” He laughed like he’d just told some hilarious joke and staggered off to the kitchen, not even bothering to turn on any lights. He probably hadn’t even paid the electric bill in several months and that was what Helena had been counting on. She and Alexa remained hidden as Marshall sauntered back into the living room and flopped down on the couch you and Alexa had been sitting on only a moment ago.

You watched him crack the can open and take a swig. He burped loudly and laughed again, apparently very pleased with himself.

You swallowed hard, trying to resist the urge to run out of the house and far, far away from the monster you saw before you. Instead you glanced over at Alexa. You could just make out her darker shape in all the shadows. Her steel gray eyes gleamed with malice. Was she angry for what had happened to you? Had that been why she was so eager to help? To finally make him pay for all the pain he had caused you that she had not even known about? Your heart swelled in new found affection for the girl you had hated for so long and you were glad she was here now. You were sure you could never do this on your own.

Alexa glanced at you across the darkness. You weren’t sure if she could see you or not but you nodded your head anyway, willing her to go ahead. And then …she stepped out of the shadows and into a pool of light cast by a street lamp outside. Marshall didn’t even notice. So she cleared her throat to get his attention.

“Who the hell…” he slurred coming out of his alcohol induced trance. “Who’re you?”

“You don’t remember me?” Alexa said, deceivingly sweet. “I’m Helena’s friend.”

Laughter as loud as thunder split the air and actually rattled the windows a few feet from where you were standing. It had come from dear old dad.

“Don’t chu mean you was Helena’s friend? Or has the fact that she’s long gone just slipped yer empty lil’ mind?” he barked raucously.

From your shadowed hiding place, you could see Alexa flex her jaw and ball her hands up into fists.

‘No, Alexa,’ you mentally screamed at her. ‘I told you that sadistic bastard would try to get into your head. Don’t let him!’

Almost as if she’d heard you, she relaxed her jaw and let her hands hang normally at her sides. You quietly let out the breath that you had been holding in.

“Of course” Alexa smiled as she tried to keep the anger out of her voice. “Sometimes I do forget she’s really gone. It almost feels like she’s here with us right now, in this room, doesn’t it? Do you ever get that feeling?” Very subtly, her voice took on a much more menacing tone and her eyes darkened as she narrowed them in Marshall’s direction. “You know like …there’s someone out there who knows all your dirty little secrets and all your annoying little habits and you just can’t stop thinking about what would happen if you ever let them go...” She paused for a moment to let that sink in and just like flipping a light switch she went back to sweet, innocent, oblivious Alexa. Gweneth Paltrow couldn’t have played it better. “At least that’s how it was with me and Lane,” She finished lightly.

Marshall had gone very still, a stone statue in the form of a monstrous man. He stared wide eyed at Alexa.

“Is something wrong mister Pierce?” Alexa trilled.

“Who the hell d’you think you are?” your father said very slowly, all the booming laughter gone from his voice.

“I don’t know what you mean.” Alexa said evenly, her eyes drilling holes into your fathers. “It’s just that …If I had known-“

“If you’d known what?!” He exploded with the force of an atomic bomb, launching himself out of the chair, tossing his half empty can of beer aside where it rained down on the carpet and rolled to a stop not two inches from the toe of your right shoe. You pressed yourself tight against the wall and gritted your teeth like a lioness waiting for just the right moment to pounce on her unsuspecting prey.

Alexa forged on, undaunted. “If I had known she would’ve been taken from me so suddenly …I would’ve spent so much more time with her, said goodbye properly. I just …I had no idea.”

“I know what yer doin’,” Marshall said as he began to pace across the floor, wagging a finger at her as he did. “You’re tryina get into my head, aren’t chu? Tryina make me feel guilty.”

Your heart leapt in your chest. You had him. He was like a fish struggling at the end of a line. All Alexa had to do now …was reel him in. Nice and slow.

“Guilty, Mr. Pierce? What could you possibly have to feel guilty about?”

“It’s the same damn thing everybody else ‘round here thinks. Oh they don’t come out and say ta my face …but I hear ‘em talkin’, see em whispering when they think I ain’t payin’ attention. They think I killed ‘em all.”

“Who? They think you killed who?”

“Those two worthless daughters a mine and their bitch of a mother, that’s who.”

“That’s terrible.” Alexa gasped faking anger and repulsion. “You would never do anything like that…” She paused and you caught the determined glint in her eye. “would you, Mr. Pierce?”

“Shows how much you know, you dumb blond bimbo,” Marshall said, laughter creeping into his voice and slowly building strength. “I did kill ‘em, all three of ‘em and nobody even suspected it was poor lil’ innocent ol’ Marshall. “Poor guy lost his wife and both kids” they said. Then that dumb bitch, Jessica err whatever the hell her name was left me too. She pissed me off …so I took her fer a lil’ ride down ta the lake. Funny thing was …she never came back. They found her body two weeks later in that same lake. Can you imagine that? Now I was just about as torn up as a person could be so none a them dumb cops ever had any suspicions.” He paused to crack open another beer from the six-pack on the coffee table. He downed three big gulps at once and looked down at Alexa, daring her to say something. She called his bluff.

“You sick son of a bitch,” She spat, dropping the innocent act. “You really did kill them didn’t you?”

“Would I lie to you?” he smirked.

Alexa backed away looking rather sick.

“Where ya goin’, darlin’?” Marshall asked, chuckling. “We was just startin’ ta have some fun!”

“You just confessed to killing four people. I’m going to the cops, you bastard.”

“You go ahead and do that. Lemme know how it works out for ya. I’m friends with every cop on the force and then there’s that tiny little fact that …you don’t have one ounce of proof to speak of.”

“You think so, huh?” Alexa challenged. She pulled out the tiny microphone that had been clipped to the inside of her shirt and held it up for him to see. “My friends just heard every single word of this conversation and it’s being recorded for your “friends” down at the station. I’m sure they’d love to hear it.”

“Why you little-“ Marshall seethed and took a step toward her.

“And there’s one more thing I forgot to mention. Those four people you thought you killed …you missed one.”

He looked very confused and narrowed his eyes at Alexa. He was just about to start advancing on her again when you emerged from the shadows and walked into the pool of light to stand next to Alexa …and face to face with your father.

“Hello, daddy,” you purred. “Did you miss me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Jessica, did you just pee your pants?
I feel like you did. Haha.
As for the rest of you, I hope you enjoyed it as well.
Two maybe three more chapters and that'll be it, I think.
Thanks for being so patient with me.
I crave comment love.
=)

Chapter Title Cred: "Liar Liar (Burn in Hell)" by The Used