‹ Prequel: Where Did the Love Go?

Love Is Forever

Ch. 7

What time is it? Oh god why do I think I overslept again. I turned my head and I looked at the clock 9:00. Oh my god it’s 9:00 the boys were supposed to be at school an hour ago. I looked over where is Sidney?

I was just about to get out of bed when Sidney walked in fully dressed in his usual jeans and a t-shirt.

“Sid are the boys up yet? I forgot to wake them up!” I asked frantically

“Babe don’t worry I already took them to school.” He said with a smile on his face.

“You did? When?” I asked. I felt my heart rate slow down a little. Lately this has bee happening a lot, maybe it was just the fact that I was pregnant, but I kept sleeping way later than I should.

“Yeah I took them this morning. They were on time, I didn’t want to wake you, so I took them.” he said coming over to the bed and sitting down next to me. I moved over so that I was laying in his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on the cheek.

“I’m so sorry I don’t know why I am so tired lately. I need to get an alarm clock or something.” I said. This was not like me I was usually up at the crack of dawn and had the kids lunches made already.

“Oh god their lunches! I forgot to make them last night!” I said hitting myself on the head with my hand.

“I made their lunches. A peanut butter sandwich an apple and a bag of chips and a juice right?” Sidney said.

“You made their lunches too. I am so sorry I should have woken up. I’m sorry. You need your rest you have a game today.” I said

“Babe don’t worry about it. You need your rest too. I’ll tell you what, as long as you do the hard stuff and carry around a baby and give birth, I will get the boys up and dressed whenever I am home.” he said with a s mile. That was so sweet of Sidney.

“No it’s fine I can do it.” I said yawning.

“No babe its fine I actually like doing it, it just means I get to spend a little more time with them.” He said and he kissed me on the top of my head.

“Thanks Sidney. I love you.” I said and I gave him a kiss.

“I love you too Nicole.” he said

“Don’t you have morning practice?” I asked realizing he usually had it now.

“Yeah its at 10:30 and it ends at 12, so I can pick the boys up on my way home.” He said

“Oh thanks.” I couldn’t believe that Sidney was in kindergarten and Brent was in Preschool. They both grew up so fast. The were some of the most intelligent boys I have ever seen. They were so smart for their age. They knew how to skate at three, that alone seemed unbelievable, but they were Sidney’s kids. So I guess I get it. They got out of school at 12:30, so usually that meant that I had a good four and half hours by myself until the boys came home. I knew that was catching up to me, and being pregnant didn’t help either.

I put my hand on his chest and my head was still on it. The motion of Sidney’s breathing was very soothing to me. The way his chest would rise and fall. I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew Sidney was waking me up.

“I didn’t mean to wake you babe, but I have to go to morning skate.” Sidney said

“Oh I’m sorry did I fall asleep on you again. I am so sorry.” I said yawning.

“Don’t worry babe. Why don’t you sleep some more.” He said

“Just a little longer.” I said falling back down in the bed.

“Sleep as long as you need I’m going to pick up the boys.” Sidney said and he kissed me on the top of my head and pulled the covers over my body. I have been so tired lately and I don’t know why.

I woke up a few hours later to noise downstairs. I looked up at the clock and it was 1. 1:00 oclock?!? I have been asleep all day! I didn’t get anything done today. I jumped out of bed and threw on the nearest clothes and walked downstairs. Let me tell you when I walked downstairs I could not believe it. The house was spot less, the boys were watching tv and not making any noise. I couldn’t see Sid anywhere, but I knew he was around.

“Hi mommy!” Sid Jr. said running over to me and giving me a hug.

“Hi sweetheart how was school today?” I asked unwrapping him from his hug.

“It was good. I shared my toys with Eric.” He said smiling

“good for you Sid, I am proud of you.” I said

“Hi Brent.” I said to my son who still didn’t move off the couch.

“Hi mom.” He said sounding very sad.

“What’s wrong Brent?” I asked

“I did something bad mama.” he said looking down.

“Oh really and what did you do?” I asked placing my hand on the top of his head.

“I kissed a girl mommy!” He said looking down. A smile immediately arose to my face. He was so sweet and innocent.

“Oh you did, did you? What is her name?” I asked picking him up and placing him in my lap. Sidney Jr. was sitting down next to me listening close as his brother told the story. When Brent said he kissed a girl Sidney Jr. made a loud noise that sounded like an ‘oh my’. They were both still at the age were girls were yucky, and I assumed that they would still be at that age for a while.

“Her name is Jenny mommy and I kissed her because she was being mean.” he said with a pouty face.

“She was being mean?” I asked

“yes mommy she said that her daddy said my daddy was a bad hockey player.” He said . That thought made me laugh, I always found it funny how people treated Sidney. They know absolutely nothing about the person he ism but they hate him just because he is Sidney Crosby.

“Well sweetheart you don’t kiss a girl when they are mean to you, you kiss them when you like them.” I said

Both Sidney Jr and Brent made loud exclaiming noises.

“What?!” He asked lightly hitting his head.

“Is that why you kiss daddy all the time?” Sid Jr. asked

“No boys mommy kisses me all the time because she loves me.” Sidney said walking into the living room.

“and I love her too.” He said kissing me on the head.

“and I love you and I love you.” He said walking over to Sid Jr. and Brent and kissing them on the top of their heads. He sat down on the couch with us and put Sid in his lap.

“ her dad really said I was a bad hockey player?” Sidney asked smirking somewhat. Sidney never let what other people thought of him bother him, if anything it just fired him up and wanted him to do more.

“Yes daddy.” Brent said

“Well that’s okay. Not everyone has to think I am good. As long as I know that I give it my all, that’s all that matters.” Sidney said

“Boy I have to tell you something, never let what other people say bother you, you do the best you can and that’s all that counts.” he said That was good advice, they needed to learn things like this.

“but what do I do if she says it again?” Brent asked

“You say okay.” Sidney said

“Just okay?” Brent asked

“yes, just okay.” Sid said.

“okay.” Brent said

We sat down as a family and talked and watched TV until dinner. It was times like these that made me realize how lucky I was. I was truly blessed.