Status: In the process of writing out of McKenly's POV.

Wasted

five

I looked back to see that Constance was still sitting back there. I was afraid to do anything. We weren’t sure how she acted towards females and Sam was never unfaithful, from what I knew anyway. He would never do that. I started to breathe heavily, but kept it as quiet as I could so that she would just leave us alone. We hadn’t ever done anything bad to a person. Well, human at least. I was never unfaithful either at least to the one guy I had ever had sex with.

“Take me home!” she said, angrily.

“No.” I said. Sam agreed. Constance just glared at me through the rearview. I heard the door lock, and quickly turned my head to see the truth myself. We were locked in the car. Sam was trying to get the door open, but it was like the lock just kept slipping through his feelings. Constance’s spirit flickered in the back seat. “You bitch, just let us go.” I said, through my teeth. Then she took control of the car and it started to move. She drove us back to her house. Sam and I tried to fight our way out of the car the best that we could, but to no avail. The car shut off as well as the lights.

“Don’t do this.” Sam ordered, as Constance flickered again.

“I can never go home.” She said, sadly.

“You’re scared to go home.” I pointed out. We turned back to see that Constance wasn’t there anymore. I let out a sigh and as soon as I did, the door opened and I was flung out of it and into the yard. I hit something and I wasn’t sure what but it knocked me out. When I came to, Dean was standing over me, holding a two shot guns. He picked me off the ground. “She’s got Sam.”

“I know. Ken, are you okay?” I nodded.

“Just get Sam.” He handed me a shot gun, and I regained my balance. Dean shot at Constance through the window, shattering it. I saw her glare at him and then disappear. I heard Dean, sigh in relief that she had stopped hurting him. I saw that she reappeared and I quickly fired at her myself, just willing to get the son of a bitch. The last time I shot, Sam sat up and started the car. He accelerated quickly and went through the side of the house. I looked to Dean, who looked pissed, but scared for his brother’s life. We ran into the house and made sure Sam was okay. Dean asked Sam if he could move as he helped him out of the window. Constance picked up a photograph. From her side I could see that it was her and two kids, who I assumed where her children. The slam of the car door took Constance from her trance. She threw me back again, this time I landed on the wall.

“Ken!” Dean yelled. I groaned as, I tried to get up, but my leg was cut pretty bad on a broken chair. Constance made a dresser slide across the floor and pin Sam and Dean to the Impala.

“Dean!” I yelled in obvious pain. I whimpered as I touched it. I tried to get up again, but only fell back down. The lights started to flicker and I heard the sound of water. I furrowed my brow to see water running down the stairs through the darkness. At the top of the stairs there were two young children holding hands.

“You’ve come home to us, Mommy.” They said. Talk about creepy. Constance looks at them. I could see the guilt that she had in her eyes. I blinked my eyes and the children disappeared from the stairs only to reappear behind her. The two children hugged her and Constance began to scream. The lights flickered more intensely as Constance’s screams got louder. The two children as well as their mother disappeared into a puddle on the floor. Once they realized that the spirits were gone, Sam and Dean pushed the dresser off of them. Dean ran over to me and pushed my hair out of my face.

“McKenly, are you okay?” He asked, in a panic. I squeezed my eyes shut, shaking my head, pointing to my leg. “Can you walk?” I shrugged.

“I haven’t been able to get up.” He helped me up by putting an arm under my shoulder. I tested my leg out and found that I could walk on it, if I limped. I groaned. “This is not the job that can handle a handicap.”

“You’ll be fine.” He smirked. “We’ll patch it up when we get the car outta here.” I nodded. We convened around the place where Constance and her children disappeared.

“So this is where she drowned her kids?” I asked, and Sam nodded.

“That’s why she could never go home.” He explained. “She was too afraid to face them and what she had done.”

“You found her weak spot. Nice work, Sammy.” Dean congratulated, slapping Sam on the chest where Constance had hurt him. Sam laughed through the pain and I just laughed at him. Dean came over to me so I could lean on him to walk to the car.

“Yeah, I wish I could say the same for you. What were you thinking shooting Casper in the face, you freak?”

“Hey! It saved your ass.” Sam nodded. Dean leaned over the car, letting me lean against it. I’ll tell you another thing: If you screwed up my car…” Dean turned to face Sam, “I’ll kill you.” Sam and I laughed at him. Dean climbed in the driver’s seat and had Sam help him back out to cause as little damage as possible. It took us about half an hour to get it out of the house. I stood on the porch, waiting for the guys to get it out.

“Took you long enough!” I shouted to Dean. He smiled at me and ran up the steps.

“You try backing a car out of a house.” I looked down at the stairs and groaned. Dean followed my gaze and a playful smirk came to his face. I looked at him warily wondering what in the world he could be thinking.

“Dean…?” He came closer to me and wrapped an arm around my waist and threw me over his shoulder. I laughed at him. “Dean! I coulda gotten down those steps by myself.” Dean shook his head. “Watch the leg, would ya?”

“You’re too tense, Ken.” I laughed.

“Yeah, well it’s not like we have the money to pay for a professional massage.” I paused. “And before you even think about it, you’re hands will not be touching my body in that way.” Dean laughed.

“You know me too well.”

“Don’t I know it.” He placed me in the backseat of the car through the passenger side. I thanked him and pushed myself into the seat more, so Dean could join me in the back. Sam sat in the passenger seat and pulled the first aid kit and a map from the glove compartment. I put my hurt leg over Dean’s lap and he quickly patched it up. Hurt like hell when he poured the alcohol over it to clean it up.

“Sorry.” He apologized. I shook my head.

“It’s her fault.” I said, flicking my head towards the house.

“Okay, here’s here Dad went.” He said, pointing to a spot on the map. “It’s called Blackwater Ridge, Colorado.” Dean nodded, wrapping the gauze around my leg. I winced when he tightened it.

“Sounds charming. How far?” Dean asked.

“About six hundred miles.” Dean nodded to Dean, thinking.

“Hey, if we shag ass we could make it by morning.” Sam looked back at him, hesitating, but smiling.

“Dean, I…um,” Dean taped the gauze down to his leg. I took a look at the Sam’s facial expression.

“He’s not coming, Dean.” I said, looking down at my leg. Dean looked at me for a second and then back to Sam.

“The interview is in like, ten hours. I gotta be there.” Dean nodded. I saw the look on his face and he was disappointed. He got up and put my leg in his place. He got in the driver’s seat.

“Alright then. Let’s get you home.” I could tell how upset he was. Dean missed his brother. He wanted him to come with us. But I knew that he wouldn’t because he doesn’t want this life. I placed one of my hands on Dean’s shoulders to comfort him. He looked in the rear view mirror at me. I made a one-sided smile which he returned as he drove away from the old Welch house. I dropped my hand and put my head against the window, leaning against it. I stared out the window at everything that passed by quickly. It all turned into a blur as I slowly dozed off to sleep.

~

“Ken.” I heard. I opened my eyes to see Sam, shaking my unhurt knee. “Hey, we’re almost there.” I had slid down so that I was laying on the back seat. I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Ten minutes later, Dean pulled up to the apartment. He still had a sour look on his face. I sighed and pulled myself into the front seat. Sam leaned over into the window. “Call me if you find him?” I crossed my arms over my chest and nodded to him. Dean nodded, too. “And maybe I can meet up with you later, huh? Get another gig. The three of us. Maybe four of us. It’ll be like when we were little.” Sam smiled. Dean and I didn’t. I was bitter that Sam was just gonna leave us again, but Dean was only upset. I couldn’t answer.

“Yeah, alright.” Dean said, not looking back at Sam. I bit my lip to keep from saying anything that I would regret. Sam pat the car door and turned away up to the house. Dean leaned over closer to me, with a hand on the seat next to me. “Sam?” Dean called. Sam turned back around, and I looked up at Dean to watch him as he decided what he was going to say. “You know, we made a hell of a team back there.” He said. I smiled, and put my hand on his. He looked down at it and smiled back at me.

“Yeah, we did.” I looked back at Sam and his apartment and got a weird feeling. Dean drove off, but kept his hand under my hand. He let out a breath.

“Guess it’s just you and me again.” I nodded, staring out the windshield “Unless, you wanna go to…?” He said. I smiled at him and shook my head. “Good.” I nodded.

“I like this life.” The feeling I had just a moment ago, sunk deep into my stomach. “Dean, could you drive back around. I’m not feeling to well. Something’s wrong.” Dean nodded and quickly did a U-turn.

“You alright, Ken?” He asked, with worry in his voice. I nodded. “What is it then?” I shook my head, not knowing.

“I just have a weird feeling. And I think that it might have something to do with Sam.” Dean set straight for Sam’s apartment and the two of us got out looking at it.

“Are you sure about this feeling, Ken?” He asked, trying to be sure. “I don’t wanna bust in on my little brother banging his girl. Talk about sights that you just can’t un-see.” I shook my head, laughing to myself.

“You think that I would wanna see that? God, I spent so much time with the kid, he’s more like my brother now.” Dean and I walked up to the apartment. I leaned down and started to work on picking the lock.

“What about me?” He asked. I furrowed my brow in confusion. “ I mean, you spend a lot of time with me, too. Am I like a brother to you?”

“Nah, you’re more my best friend than a brother.” He gave me a look. I shook my head getting back to the lock. “I don’t know. It’s complicated, Dean. We’ve known each other since we were kids. I know everything about you.” Before Dean could respond, we heard Sam scream. I threw the door open and ran towards the stairs. Dean was faster though since I had a hurt leg, but I pushed through it and stayed closely behind him. We burst through the door to see Sam on the bed screaming up at the ceiling. We followed his eyes up and I saw that Jess was burning on the ceiling. I stood there in awe, not knowing what to do. I stared up, unaware of the things around me and suddenly Jess turned into my parents and I was three years old again. I watched as my parents were burning up, their skin bubbling against the fire, just like my accident on the last case. I felt my own arm burn, but I couldn’t move to make it feel better. I didn’t notice when Dean pushed Sam out the door and down the stairs. I didn’t notice him coming back up for me, shaking me to get my attention. I didn’t notice him pick me up and throw me over his shoulder, running down the stairs and out of the house, pushing Sam with his other arm. Next thing that I knew the three of us were outside. Dean had placed me in the back seat of the car with the door open. He kneeled down in front of me, trying to get me to say something, but I was still watching as the fire came out the window. I kept seeing my parents screaming at me to help them. But I couldn’t help them.

“McKenly!” he screamed, shaking my shoulder, harder this time. He paused and just looked at me. I felt his hand on my face and it wiped away a tear. My eyes caught his.

“Dean?” my voice cracked. I was crying. I lifted my own hand to my face and wiped away another. He grabbed my shoulder and pulled me into him, hugging me. “What the hell just happened?” I asked, fighting my sobs.

“It was him, Ken. The thing that killed our parents. It killed Jess.” He pulled away with his hands on my shoulders. I shook my head, pushing him out of my way and standing up from the car. I walked over to what was now a crime scene. I walked straight there, not looking at anything but that room. Dean followed me. We approached the caution tape and I was tempted to go under it an run up to that room. I didn’t know why and I didn’t know what was telling me to, but it was strong. Dean had a hand on my elbow probably knowing what I’d do. Eventually, I blocked that urge from my mind and leaned into Dean. His arm went around my shoulders and mine went under his jacket around his back. He kissed my head and moved to whisper in my ear.

“What happened up there, Ken?” I shrugged. “Come on, don’t give me that shit. You could fool Sam with that but not me. I knew you too well.” I sighed.

“It was them on that ceiling all over again. I didn’t see Jess. I saw my parents.” Dean’s arm tightened around my shoulders. “They just kept screaming at me, begging me to help them. but I couldn’t move.” He turned us back to go to the Impala. I stayed latched to him, not wanting to let him go.

“We’ll find whatever it is.” He said, comfortingly. I nodded. “There was nothing you could have done, Ken. You were three.”

“I know.”

“In the meantime, you’ve got your best friend to protect you.”

“You don’t need to protect me, Dean.”

“No, I know. But I want to.” I looked up to see that Dean was smiling at me. I nodded and looked back to the Impala to see Sam loading a shot gun. I thought that it was a little risky for him to be doing that with the cops right there, but Sam wasn’t in his right state of mind.

“How is he?” Dean shook his head. I guessed he didn’t now.

“He won’t talk about it.”

“I feel terrible.” Dean nodded.

“We gotta get some sleep. You and Sam especially.”

“I agree. We should stop somewhere. Sam probably wants to stay for the funeral. You think we could spring that?” Dean nodded again. The two of us joined Sam at the trunk of the car. He finished loading his gun and dropped it in the mess.

“We got work to do.” Sam said, before shutting the trunk.

“And we agree. But, Sam we all need some sleep. It’s been a long day.” He looked to Dean, not wanting to stay.

“And we can stay for a few days. You can stop by her grave, maybe go to the funeral.” His eyes met mine and I practically begged him without saying anything. He let out a sigh.

“Alright.” The three of us climbed in the car. Sam let me sit next to Dean in the front. He drove with one hand on the wheel and the other arm around my shoulders. I tucked myself into him, laying my head down. I could feel Sam’s eyes on us, but I didn’t care. I need comfort from him. He drove to the closest cheapest motel we could find.

As soon as we got a room, I changed quickly and threw myself onto a bed. I looked around the room and noticed Sam on the other bed with his Dad’s journal. Dean was checked around making sure that everything was locked tight. When he was done, he looked at me questioningly. I figured he was asking if I wanted him with me. I nodded and moved the sheets from the other side of the bed out of the way for him. We both ignored Sam’s confused look as I turned by back to him. Dean laid down next to me and did the same, turning back from Sam. I felt his breath on my neck and focused on it until I drifted to sleep.