Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Twelve

My head was pressed against the window as I watched the world go by. Both Alex and I remained silent. There was only the roar of engine and the swiping of the window wipers as they cleared away the rain that bounced off the car, creating little pinging sounds. Neither of us spoke.

The sky outside was an eerie grey, showing that winter was creeping in even more. The world around us was swallowed in fog, choking plants that refused to die for the winter hibernation. Each passing tree was like watching a horror movie; their leaves scattered the frosted ground, their branches crooked and broken. Slowly, they swayed in the wind, until a strong gush of wind caused them to shudder and shake.

I looked away, towards Alex. He was busy watching the road. I glanced at the mirror just in time to catch Alex’s gaze. I was first to break away.

“Sorry,” I whispered, loud enough for him to hear.

“It’s not your fault.” he replied calmly and reassuringly.

“Yes, it is. I snapped at you and refused to get in the car; I caused a scene. I was acting childish after you helped me.” I bowed my head in shame.

“Look, I shouldn’t have shouted at you; you’ve been through enough as it is.” I looked in the mirror to catch his gaze again, his eyes showing a mixture of emotions. “We’re at a traffic light; come and sit in the front seat.”

I unbuckled my seat belt and climbed over the console, sitting in the front passenger seat. As I buckled myself in, a small burst of heat spread across my chest and Ever’s voice reappeared in my mind.

Winter, didn’t I warn you to stay away from them? You know what? Never mind. I saw what Casper tried to do to you. I don’t know who stabbed Chris, but my first guess would be one of them three. Since you can’t seem to avoid them I want you to play along for as long as you can until I escape from here. Please, I beg you Winter, stay safe. I have to go; I’m starting to feel Alex’s presence. Bye.

The heat faded in my chest and I began to fiddle with the necklace. I was nervous around the three of them already; I can’t keep playing along anymore, and it’s barely been a few days.

“Are you ok? You seem quiet.” Alex changed gear and pulled off the motorway.

“I was thinking.” I replied coolly.

“About?”
“About life and stuff,” there was silence for a few moments, before I asked out the blue, “Can I put the radio on, please?”

“Sure.”

I switched on the radio, scanning through the many radio channels, for the right song to listen to. After a few minutes of turning the dial, I came across a song I hadn’t heard in a while.

“What’s this? Are you a Goth or something now?” Alex asked, puzzled at the song choice.

“Hey! I lived off this music in high school. I loved My Chemical Romance and still do. Can’t a girl like something other than pop once in a while?”

I playfully punched him in the arm, causing him to lightly punching me back, starting a mini punching war.

I threw my hands up in surrender and begged for mercy. “Ok, ok, you win; you can stop now. Give me mercy!” I laughed.

“Mercy granted.” He grinned.

“So, where are we going after I get changed?”

“Well, we can’t go to Walkden for anything to eat. We could go to town or Bolton or Trafford Centre, or we can stay at yours and have something to eat.” He hinted playfully, but his gaze was serious.

“Why can’t we go to Walkden? And I’ll take that last hint and think about it when I get home.” I looked sideways at him. He shook his head.

“That wasn’t a hint; I actually meant it. We can’t go to Walkden because they’ve boxed it off to prepare for tonight’s winter carnival. Didn’t you hear?” I nodded in reply. “Well, then, that’s where we’re going later tonight.”

“But -.” I started.

“Why, Winter, are you scared of the rides?” He teased.

“No! I’m scared of you!” I covered my mouth fast in shock. I wasn’t supposed to say that.

He looked at me speculatively. “You don’t know me.”

“Exactly,” I snapped.

“Someone’s grumpy, don’t you think?” His mouth twitched at the corners, holding back a smile.

“I have my reasons.” I grumbled.

He rested his hand on my knee, sending unwelcome desire through my body, pleasurable but revolting at the same time. He began to drum his figures lightly.

“Winter, he is going to be ok. Everything will be ok soon enough.” He gave my knee a light, playful slap and placed his hand back on the steering wheel.

I looked outside the window besides me, the rain still beating down, the fog still giving the streets a scary movie affect. There was a load rattling sound and the car slowly rolled to a standstill.

“Damn it!” Alex groaned angrily.

“What?” I asked, looking out of the windshield to see smoke rising from the bonnet.

“Something is wrong with the car.” He unbuckled his seatbelt.

I grabbed his hand before he could climb out of the car. “I’ll go check; I know a few things about these cars.”

He looked at me, and a spark of something I didn’t dare identify flickered to life in his eyes. I quickly clambered free of the vehicle.

The rain beat down hard on my skin, cold and bitter, each drop biting into my skin like thousands of fire ants. I walked around to the front of the car and popped open the hood, wafting away the smoke. I wrapped my arms around my body and stomped my feet a few times to warm up, then began to examine the engine.

“Here’s the problem.” I said, pulling out the oil dipstick and showing it Alex as he came to the side. I waved the dry stick in front of him. “When was the last time you changed the oil in your car?” He shrugged in reply. “You’re good, aren’t you?” I put the dipstick back in place and closed the hood.

“Yep, no need to tell me that.” He teased.

“I hate to burst your bubble, but...”

“Then don’t.” He said cheerfully. I rolled my eyes in disbelief.

“Ok, enough with the smart ass remarks. How do we get home? I’m freezing and my cast is getting wet.” I wrapped my arms round my body again and stomped my feet to try and keep warm.

“We walk.” He grinned and took off down the road.

“Wait!” I called, jogging to catch up with him. “In this weather, can’t we hitchhike?” I asked through chattering teeth.

“Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to talk to strangers or get in a car with a stranger?” He laughed.

“I’m talking to you, I got in a car with you, and you’re a stranger. You tick just about everything on that list.” I informed him, counting them off on my fingers.

“Hey! Thanks for that remark, Winter.”

“It wasn’t a remark; I really meant it. You’re a still a stranger to me.”

“And a nice one at that,” he comforted as he took off his jacket and lifted it above our heads.

“What about the car?”

“Leave it.” He replied simply.

“Aren’t you cold?” I asked, awed.

“Nope, the cold doesn’t bother me; here.” He said, huddling up close. I looked at him confused, but grateful. “Put your arms around me; you will be a bit warmer.” I stopped and stared. “What?” he asked in a joking tone.

“Put your arms around me, you will be a bit warmer.” I mimicked.

“That was one bad impression.” He laughed. “I was trying to be nice.”

“I know. Sorry,” I murmured, loud enough so he could hear.

“It’s ok, Winter.” He assured me.

“You know,” I mumbled, “You should service your car regularly – at least every six months. That includes changing the oil and air filters, and changing the oil itself. Otherwise that happens.”

His lips twitched into a smile. “Thanks for the advice, Winter.”

I stared at the floor for a moment before wrapping my arms around him for warmth.

We huddled close to each other, jogging through the rain, every part of us soaking wet, only one another’s body temperature keeping us warm. My worries seemed to slowly drift away.