Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Thirtheen

I finally arrived home with Alex, soaked, freezing and hungry. When I opened the door, an impatient Detective Hull and Hapsburg were sat waiting on the sofa. They shot up as soon as they saw me.

“What the hell are you two doing here? Wait, how did you even get in?” I asked, kicking off my shoes and peeling off my coat.

“We came to collect you from the hospital to get you something to eat. Detective Hapsburg left for two minutes, two minutes, to get a cup of coffee and when he came back you and your friend there were gone!” Detective Hull scolded. “I told you to be with Detective Hapsburg at all times and you just go running off!” He eyed Alex, who merely regarded him coolly in return.

“I was safe. I’m still alive, aren’t I?” I muttered bitterly.

“You were supposed to follow orders.” Detective Hapsburg replied calmly. “Wait, what happened to your eyes? They’re -.”

“Red, I know! You can’t tell me how to run my life. I don’t need stupid protection and I definitely don’t need orders!” I spat back, running off upstairs to my room. I slammed my door as hard as I could.

I threw myself onto my bed and buried my face in my pillow, sobbing away what I could. I wanted to be a normal person and get on with my life, enjoy it while it lasts. I don’t want to be followed about all the time by a detective or follow orders.

I got up and went over to the stereo in the corner of my room. I connected my iPod and turned the volume to full blast; the song that reminded me so much of Chris came on. It was our song, our connection, my only link to him.

I crumpled to the floor, resting my back against the wall and tucking my legs close to my chest. I let the tears fall from my swollen red eyes, my cries going unheard.

I heard the door creak over the music and saw Alex approach. He turned down my stereo and kneeled in front of me. I lashed out, wrapping my arms round his neck, and buried my face in his shirt. He rocked back for a second, and then slowly put his arms round me, softly rubbing his hand up and down my back.

“Are you ok?” He asked, trying to comfort me. I shook my head in reply. “Are you hungry?” I nodded this time. “Come on,” he said, standing up, my face still buried in his shirt and my arms still wrapped around his neck.

“Alex?”

“Yes?”

“You’re a good friend.” I said lightly. “I have haven’t known you for long, but up until now, you’ve

always been there. Thank you.”

I felt his whole body go stiff and I pulled away in wonder, letting his arms drop to his side. I stared at him for a moment; his posture was still and his eyes gazed every inch of my body, but his expression was neutral. I looked down at myself to see if I had something wrong with my clothes - besides them being soaked to the core.

“Alex, what’s wrong?” I asked in a wary tone. When I looked up, he was facing the other way.

I slowly walked over to him and placed one hand on his shoulder. He bowed his head and let out a sigh. He placed his hand on top of my hand as he said dryly, “Winter, what if I told you that I was evil and wanted to kill you?”

“I would say you’re crazy.”

Well, I wouldn’t; I already know, but like Evangelina had said, ‘play along’, which I was doing really well...or, at least, I had been up until now, anyway.

“Winter, I want you to fear me. Fear me, Winter!” He growled fiercely, but I refused to move.

“Never; what is there to fear?”

“Everything, everything, Winter,” he turned to face me, my arm dropping back to my side, his hand resting on my cheek. I rested my hand on top of his. There was silence between us before Alex whispered in a begging tone, with a sad grimace, “Winter, please, I need you to fear me. Please, I beg of you. I will kill you. I want you to run, run as fast as you can and hide; hide from me, Winter, do it while you can.”

“I can’t run from what I don’t fear.” I stepped closer. I no longer feared him. I knew his secret, but he didn’t know that. His presence seemed to warm me, make me feel whole again.

“You had to be so persistent, didn’t you?” He laughed softly, gently teasing. I nodded and smiled lightly.

There was that moment of silence again, slowly eating away time. I let go of his hand and traced my finger across his jaw bone, the brittleness of his stubble, scratching my finger, until I wrapped my spare arm around his neck. His hand slowly slid off my cheek, down my arm and around my waist, pulling me closer.

I met his lips and indulged in the tastes and smells of our wet clothes and skin. Our kiss was slow and light at first, then it became fast and urgent. The rich smell of coconut, spices and lavender invaded the air around us. When I came up for a breath, a light, pleasurable growl came from the back of my throat. Slowly, he backed me to the wall.

His breath sent tiny sparks of warmth through my body as he moved from my lips and down my neck. He began to move down my arm with such sweet kisses, taking my hand in his and kissing it lightly on the knuckles. As I looked into his eyes, I could see who he truly was: the wretched wolf he turned into in the image Evangelina showed me.

Something wasn’t right about him though; he had wings of an angel. Was he a different type of species altogether?

“Damn!” I screamed, pushing him from me. I began to pace the room, smacking my head with the palm of my hand, repeating the words, “What have I done?”

“Wow, now that was out of the blue.” Alex mused.

“Damn, damn, damn! I kissed you and I have boyfriend! I kissed you and I have a boyfriend!” I screeched frantically as I paced back and forth faster.

Alex stopped me dead in my tracks and shook me lightly. “Winter, calm down; you’re getting too worked up.” He said coolly, but his expression was just about as confused and shocked as I was.

“Calm down? Calm down?” I shouted. “I kissed you and I have a boyfriend!” I shook him off and began to pace again, repeating my routine of “what have I done?” and hitting my head with the palm of my hand.

Something pulled me towards him, something I was not able to fight against. I knew what he was and what he was going to do to me, but...but something was entirely off; he’d had the chance to kill me so many times, yet he hadn’t. I stopped in puzzlement.
Something snapped inside me.

I turned towards him, my face showing pure bitterness and anger; it was about time I get answers.

“You,” growled slowly, pointing my finger at him. He looked at me, puzzled. “I want answers!”

“Answers about what, exactly?” He asked casually.

“You know what I mean!” I approached him until we were face to face.

“Nope, you’ve lost me.”

“Maybe this will help,” I stood up on my tip toes to whisper in his ear. “I heard rumours, Alex, rumours that I really didn’t want to hear.”

“And what rumours would these be?” He whispered back.

“Well, a little birdy told me that you and your brothers are going to kill me, and I also know what you are,” I paused, listening to him gulp. I smiled, knowing I’d hit the mark, and continued with the final word, “werewolf.”

In a matter of seconds, my arms were pinned behind my back and his hand was over my mouth. I groaned in pain because of my broken arm. His breath was heavy on my neck and loud in my ear.

“Now, you listen to me carefully,” he snarled. “You’re going to tell me carefully, in every tiny detail, where you got that information from, understand?”

I gulped down a scream and nodded.

He slowly released his grip on me and turned me to face him. I looked away. “Understand this,” he said lightly, “I am not going to hurt you and I never will.”

Before he could react, my hand hit his cheek at high speed and I began to run. I looked back as I made my way down the stairs. He came staggering out of my room, surprised and shocked, holding his hand over his cheek and glared at me with red eyes.

As I thundered down stairs, I heard the a thud come from the upstairs hall way, but I feared to look back.

I reached the front door and scrambled to find my car keys, but couldn’t find them where I last left them. I dropped to the floor and began looking under things. As I crawled on my hands and knees frantically, I heard the rattle of keys and looked up to find Alex dangling them before me.

He dropped them in front of me and walked to the front door. He removed a key from the key bowl and unlocked the front door.

“What are you doing?” I asked, puzzled at his actions.

“What does it look like?” He replied, walking over to the sofa and sitting down calmly.

“I-I don’t understand.”

“I’m letting you go.”

“But...but I know what you are.” I stood up, confused and still afraid, but I didn’t want to run anymore.

He raised an eyebrow. “So?”

“I could tell people.”

“They would call you crazy.” He pointed out.

“I will...I will...” I didn’t know what I would do; he caught me out and won.

“You will run to the police? Or cry wolf? I think not. Now, are you going to stand there, or do I have to
sit you down to explain?”

“Explain what?” I asked, going to the front door to close it.

“Wait,” he called. I stopped the door in mid swing and looked back towards him. “Make sure that your follower, Detective Hapsburg, is it?” I nodded in confirmation. “Make sure he is far from the house. I can’t let him hear or there will be trouble for all of us.”

I peeped outside, making sure I wasn’t seen by Detective Hapsburg; he was happily drinking a hot drink and nodding his head randomly to the beat of a song. I shut the door, locked it, and turned to Alex in confirmation that he was in the all clear.

“If I sit here and listen, will you not hurt me?” I asked, edging slowly towards the armchair.

“Never intended to,” he grinned.

“Just... just don’t.” I murmured, and sat down.