Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Fourteen

“I want you to promise me that what I tell you -.”

I placed my hand over my heart and my broken arm in the air as I interrupted him with, “I promise I will not tell a soul, but you still haven’t told me what we are talking about.”

“How I became this-this monster. To correct you: I’m a wereangel, not a werewolf; my species is different.”

“Well, then, I am going to get a cup of hot chocolate. This seems like it’s going to take a while. Do you want some?” I asked, going into the kitchen and preparing my cup.

“Please – no milk; I like it strong, you know, like me,” he called out.

I finished putting the last spoon of hot chocolate in my cup when I looked up to find him leaning against the doorframe, legs crossed, arms folded, a menacing grin on his face. I threw the spoon at him, just missing his head. I shook my head in disapproval of my miss and his attitude and resumed making the hot chocolate. I was about to pour the kettle when a frantic knock sounded at the front door.

“Move, Alex, please,” I asked politely, trying to get past to answer the door, but he wouldn’t budge. The knocking came again but even louder and more frantic. “Move, Alex, please,” I asked again, lowering my tone in warning.

“No,” he grinned. He lashed out in a blink of an eye and gripped my shoulders.

I tried to squirm free as I winced, “Ouch, Alex, let me go; you’re hurting me! Please, I need to answer the door.”

The knocking became a jiggling door handle, then wood breaking thuds, and I could hear the door bellow and creak under the force of whatever was hitting it.

“Alex, what’s wrong with you?” I asked, my tone pleading.

“Oh, nothing much: just you.” I watched as his eyes turned the colour of midnight and his hair began to turn into golden locks. His skin started to tan a deep golden colour and the set of clothes he wore began to turn camouflage colours. I gulped back a scream as I watched Alex fade into Casper.

“Afternoon, Winter”, he teased. “It’s lovely to see you again – and kiss you again.”

“Help,” I screamed.

His hand went over my mouth in a split second. “Naughty, naughty; don’t want anybody thinking you’re in danger, now, do we?”

I knew my face showed fear, which pleased him, but when you see a guy change from one to another, then what do you expect? I felt the fear taking over every part of me but I had no other emotion to fight back with.

Casper began to back me against the kitchen counter where I kept all the knives and other cutlery. He slid the drawer open without looking and began to feel around. I watched as he pulled out the biggest, sharpest knife in the drawer, and something inside me snapped.

I thrashed my hands out in a blur to his chest and watched him fly out the kitchen door and land straight into the living room glass table. It shattered underneath him. I ran into the living room and stood in front of him. I watched as he came out of his dizzy haze of confusion. He gritted his teeth in pure anger and jumped to his feet.

He threw out a punch, missing me by mere inches as I gripped his wrist and flung him over my shoulder, sending him crashing into the banister at the other end of the room. The front door gave in and swung into the wall behind it. Alex entered in a blur with Danny, Cara and Evangelina following behind. They looked between us both, then finally stopped and stared at me.

My breathing was heavy; there was a growl at the back of my throat, my fists clenched by my sides as my stare locked on Casper; he was out cold. I felt the anger running through my veins; I was ready to lash out at anyone who came near.

“Winter,” said the real Alex calmly as he held out his arms and crept closer to me. “Winter, can you hear me?” He asked, just a few inches from me.

I felt my body go weak and tired suddenly, my body slowly swaying, ready to fall. The world went black for a second. It felt like slow motion as my body finally gave in and fell to the floor.

Each time I opened my eyes for a split second, I saw Alex and Danny getting ever closer, their arms outstretched, trying to catch me. Evangelina’s and Cara’s expression was stunned and showed fear at high scales.

When I opened my eyes, my head was rested on Danny’s lap and Alex, Cara and Evangelina were picking up pieces of shattered glass.

I was stunned to see that not just Evangelina had changed her complexion, but Cara had too. Her once tree bark coloured, shoulder length hair was now as white as snow on one half of her hair and the other half the colour of coal. Her normal clothing of jeans and long sleeved t-shirts were replaced by a shimmering white dress matching Cara’s. Her eyes glowed gold, and were outlined in kohl and mascara. When she looked up and saw me staring, her blackened lips smiled a cheeky grin, her eyes glowed brighter in excitement, and she gave a fast wave.

“Don’t, Winter,” Danny whispered as I tried to get up. “You need rest.”

I shook my head and tried to get up once again, only to fall back onto his lap.

“But I-I want to see Evangelina and Cara, I...” I paused for a moment, struggling to think of an emotion strong enough to express the feeling of happiness to see Evangelina and Cara again.

“I...”

“It’s ok; I understand what you’re trying to say. You can see them later, but for now, you need to rest,” Danny assured me with a soft smile, which calmed the darkness inside of me.

“What happened? I don’t remember.” I whispered.

“You slipped, fell into the glass table, and banged your head,” he replied.

I rubbed my head, a headache forming, banging in the depths of my skull. Something in Danny’s voice told me he was lying, but why?

“Don’t lie to me Danny; I hate liars.”

Danny looked away from me to Alex, who stood there staring back. Alex nodded as if sharing a silent message. Danny looked back at me.

“We have something to tell you, and we need to get it out there before it’s too late for you,” he said as he wrapped one arm around my legs and the other round my back and stood up.

“How long have I been out?” I asked Danny.

“About fifteen minutes; enough time to dump Casper tied up somewhere and clean up a bit.” Alex answered.

Danny began to walk up the stairs, Cara, Evangelina and Alex following close behind. We entered my bedroom and Danny lay me down on the bed. All four of them sat down on both sides of my bed, Alex and Danny on one side of the bed and Cara and Evangelina on the other. I pushed myself up into a sitting position.

There was silence at first as all four looked at each other, nodding between them, until I broke the silence. “So, then, are you four just going to sit there and nod at one another, or are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

They stopped and stared at me; Evangelina was about to say something, but held back like she didn’t know what to say.

Danny spoke instead. “Casper is trying to kill you.” He stated blandly.

“He’s what?” I screeched. I began to grip the cover, fighting to hold the urge to scream.

“Calm down, Winter,” Alex said in a soothing tone, taking my hand in his and giving it a squeeze.

“Calm down? Calm down? How can I calm down when someone is trying to murder me?” I snapped.

“I, erm, me and Danny, we were in on the plan at first.” Danny stuttered, “Only to mock you, not-not the killing part.” He added quickly.

“What?” I yelled, shaking my hand free from Alex’s and lunging at him.

We toppled to the floor, my cry of rage filling the room as I clawed at Alex. Danny and Cara took my arms and pulled me away kicking and screaming. After all they’d done for me; I’d believed they were nice. I let myself be sucked in through lies.

“You monsters,” I hissed. “I trusted you, I trusted you both! How could you?”

“Listen to me!” Danny commanded as he turned me to face him and clung to my arms tightly.

I repeatedly slapped his chest, tears forming in my eyes as I cried, “How could you? How could you?”

“Listen to me,” Danny demanded again, shaking me slightly. I crumpled into his arms, my face buried in his chest, tears rolling down my cheeks and onto his black and white checker shirt.

Danny wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on the top of my head and slowly rocked side to side as he stroked my hair.

“Listen to me, Winter: we didn’t want it to go too far; we were doing it for a joke, but once we found out that he wanted to kill you, that’s when he took it too far once and for all. Alex had the idea that we should both keep an eye out on you.”

“Casper tried to scare you before by...” Alex paused for a moment, his expression showing a worried sympathetic look as I turned my head, to look at him. “Casper is the one who tried to kill Chris to get to you, to watch you slowly go insane, and then kill you.” He explained.

My sobbing stopped, my rage roaring through my body, my jaw and fists clenching. I shoved Danny back and sent my deadliest slap across his face. He staggered back a few steps, rubbing at his jaw bone, shocked at my reaction. I spun to face Alex, Cara and Evangelina, sending them a dark look as I pointed at them, stopping at Alex.

“I know what you all are. I know what you all did. Well, I’m sorry, but the party is over. After all that I have been through, I don’t care if I die.” I snarled.

“But Winter...”

“NO!” I snapped at Cara. “You knew a long time before it even happened, didn’t you?”
Cara and Evangelina nodded as one and bowed their heads in shame.

“Exactly; if you’re supposed to be my so called ‘guardian angels’, well, I am sorry, but you’re both doing a pretty damn rubbish job!” I barked.

I turned away, avoiding any more lies, and moved to exit my room, but I was not as fast as Danny and Alex; they blocked the exit, their arms folded.

I stood before them, eyeing them; this was my home, my life and they had no right to treat me this way.

“Move,” I hissed through gritted teeth.

“Sorry, but you don’t leave this house.” Alex said calmly.

“Move or I will jump out of the window. One way or another, I am getting the hell out of this house, away from you four, even if I have to jump out of the window to be rid of you all!” My tone was bitter, but I didn’t care; I’d rather die than be held hostage in my own home.

They both shook their heads, unrelenting.

I turned to the open window, my speed picking up as I began to prepare myself for the jump out, whether it killed me or even badly hurt me.

“Winter, no,” they shouted as I flung myself out of the window.

I felt something graze my hand as I fell to the floor. I landed perfect, my knees bent to absorb the impact and prevent my legs from breaking.

I looked behind me, up at my bedroom window, where Alex, Danny, Cara and Evangelina stood, staring down at me. I stared to run down the road to the house of the next person I could trust: Michelle.

Michelle was smart and helpful; her dedication to helping save the world was just unique. She was two inches taller than me, with dark skin and eyes the colour of Cadbury’s chocolate buttons. Her shoulder length hair was the colour of oak and always braided with the colours of the rainbow. She was a pound or two over curvy.

She was known for her work around the world, considering she was the same age I was, but she was also known for her crazy belief in the existence werewolves and other creatures. She was someone I could trust, someone who would believe my words.