Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Twenty-Four

“But why would she do something like that?” I asked Danny, who was pacing in front of the fire place unsteadily.

I was sat cross legged on the sofa, in-between Alex, who had his arm draped over my shoulders and Cara, a hot chocolate in my hands. Alex had dug out one of his shirts to fling on, until I got home.

“That’s it, I don’t know,” Danny said, pausing a moment to face me.

“It doesn’t feel right; she would never do something like this. If she wanted to kill me, she would have done it ages ago,” I pointed out.

“I bet this was something to do with Casper, he got to her somehow, played with her head,” Cara touted.

“Cara has a point, he could have,” I said, taking a sip of the hot chocolate.

“We’re not certain though, maybe something snapped inside her,” Danny frowned and began pacing again.

“Alex, do you have an input on this,” Cara asked, frowning at Alex.

Alex hadn’t said a word, since we arrived at his, other than call the tow truck to bring back the car and then that was it.

“Alex, are you ok?” I asked, waving a hand in front of his face, but he didn’t respond.

“He looks like he is deep in thought,” Cara said, staring at him confused.

“He was fine in the alley, before we took off, but now . . .”

I looked at Alex, who was staring aimlessly at the fire.

“We will leave you two alone a min, maybe you can get it out of him,” Danny suggested, grabbing Cara’s wrist and pulling her from the sofa and disappeared into the back garden.

I put down my mug and turned to face Alex, his arm dropping from my shoulder.

“Alex . . . what’s wrong?” I asked, brushing his hair from his face, but he still didn’t respond.

“Alex, whatever this is, we can sort it, but you need to tell me what’s wrong.”

Still no answer.

I blew out a frustrated sigh and pushed myself up to a standing and headed to the stair case, up to the spare room, when I was pulled to a halt, by the shirt and pulled back.

I turned and looked at Alex, who still stared at the fire and then he began to talk.

“I’m sorry,” he muttered.

“For what?” I asked, sitting down beside him.

“For not being there when that drunken slob tried to toy with you and kill you.”

“Alex that wasn’t your fault, you couldn’t stop him, you were unconscious,” I said reassuringly, wrapping my arms round his neck and resting my head on his shoulder.

“No it’s not ok,” he snapped.

“You could have died Winter, because I wasn’t there,” he growled.

I let out a frustrated sigh and pushed myself of the sofa and began to head towards the stairs again. I made it just past Alex’s room, when I walked straight into him.

“Where are you going?” he asked, looking down on me, with a frown.

“To bed, because I am not in the mood for you blaming yourself for something you couldn’t control,” I said, a bit ticked off.

“But it was my fault,” he frowned, backing me up against the wall.

“For crying out loud Alex, it wasn’t your fault,” I hissed.

“It was my fault,” he roared, anger and range burning in his eyes.

I didn’t flinch; I just stared at him steadily, frowning.

“Alex, the full moon is nearly at its peak, you need to leave,” I said, pointing to the door.

Alex rested his hands on the wall behind me, his hands just above my head, at each side and rested his forehead against mine.

“Are you scared?” he asked his voice low and steady.

“No,” I said, fighting the urge not to give myself away.

“Winter,” he growled lightly.

“A bit yes, but you have your reasons and I have mine,” I conceded.

“Good,” he smiled.

Before I could answer, Alex met my lips, his arms wrapping around my waist and picking me up. I wrapped my legs round his waist and my arms round his neck.

“I love you,” he murmured against my lips.

Before I could respond, someone cleared there throat.

“Get a room,” Danny coughed into his fist, before disappearing.

“Not a bad idea,” Alex smiled devilishly against my lips.

“Tempting, but you need to go,” I sighed regretting it.

Alex moaned and tilted his head back to face the ceiling.

“If only,” he bawled, before resting his forehead on mine again.

“As I was saying, before we were interrupted, I love you too,” I finished.

“With that a leave,” he whispered sadly.

He planted a kiss on my cheek and lowered me back to a standing.

“Bye,” I called sadly, giving a mini wave of goodbye.

“Don’t you feel ashamed of yourself?” a too familiar voice asked.

“About?” I asked, without looking at Evangelina.

“About cheating on your dead boyfriend,” she mocked.

“Excuse me?” I choked, turning to face her, my hands on my hips.

“You heard me,” she laughed, walking over to me.

“I did, but I don’t think it’s anything of your business,” I scoffed, crossing my arms.

“I, but it is, he was my friend,” she pointed out.

“Ha! A friend who betrayed his girlfriend.”

“If I was that emo freak, I would be turning in my grave,” she spat.

“Don’t you dare, talk of Chris like that,” I scolded, shoving her backwards.

“He’s dead, so what,” she laughed bitterly.

I let out a blood thirsty cry and lunged at Evangelina, who caught me by the neck and slammed me to the ground, her hand gripping my neck tightly.

“Why . . . are you . . . doing this,” I chocked, clawing at her hand.

“Because you drove me to the point, that now you have to die,” she hissed down my ear, her gripping growing tighter.

“Please,” I croaked, my breath running out, my eyes starting to water.

“Retched demon, back to the pits of hell you go,” she crowed, proud of what she was doing.

“Winter,” Cara called.

I glanced in direction of the voice and Evangelina followed my gaze.

“Winter,” she called again, her heels tapping closer.

“I’ll be back,” She hissed quietly. “You best be at the winter dance tomorrow or the rest of your family are on my hit list.”

“Go. To. Hell,” I seethed, as best I could.

In a flash, she disappeared, just as Cara walked in.

“Winter,” she yelped, when she spotted me gasping and coughing for air.

She ran to my side, kneeling before me and sitting me up and examining my already purple neck.

“What happened?” she asked, panic in her tone, as she pressed her hands to my cheeks, tilting my head at different angles, to get a better look.

“Evangelina happened,” I croaked, rubbing my throat.

“What did she say,” Danny asked, strolling to my side.

He knelt beside me, opposite Cara, who had stopped examine my neck and hugged me tightly.

“She said if I’m not at the winter dance tomorrow, the rest of my family are on her hit list.”

“Why the winter dance?” Danny pondered to his self, when he fell quiet and he began to sniff the air, his eyes becoming black orbs.

“You’re bleeding,” he winced, reaching behind the back of my head and pulling back, with a blooded hand.

“I’m ok,” I confirmed.

“You’re not,” Danny frowned, his eyes returning to normal, as he scooped me of the floor and carried me into the kitchen.

He sat me on the kitchen counter and reached into the cupboard behind me and pulled out a medical bag.

“Danny, I’m ok, I promise,” I reassured, pushing away his hands as he tried to clean my wound.

“Winter stop fighting against me and let me clean your wound,” Danny importuned lightly.

I blew out a sigh and stopped pushing him away.

“Thank you. Now just turn yourself around a bit, so your back is facing me,” he asked, while he ran a cloth under the warm water tap.

I shuffled slightly and winced when he dabbed the wet cloth on to the wound.

“Ouch,” I cried softly.

“Sorry,” he said, dabbing the cut softly.

“It’s ok; it’s Evangelina that should be sorry,” I scorned.

“Danny?”

“Hmm hm.”

“Why doesn’t my blood bother you?” I asked, wanting to know more about him, other than he doesn’t drink human blood and he’s a vampire.

“It does,” he said, grabbing my hand and putting it on my head to hold the cloth and turned me to face him. “I’m just very good at controlling it.”

“Is that why your eyes turn black when you smell blood?”

He nodded, while with one finger under my chin, he tilted my head at different angles, looking at my bruised neck.

“Yeah, it’s a pain,” he laughed, helping me of the kitchen counter.

“Danny?”

“Hmm hm.”

“How did you become a vampire?”

“Stupidity,” he said unexpectedly.

“What do you mean?” I asked, sitting down on the edge of the table, while he put everything away and started to take out pots and pans from the cupboard and ingredients from the fridge.

“Do you like stake?” he asked, avoiding the question.

“Danny,” I scolded.

He put everything down fiercely and looked at me sharply, making me jump.

“Hmm, I’ll be gone then,” I muttered, looking away, as I hoped of the table and headed to the door.

“Wait,” he called, with a sigh of irritation.

I stopped and turned to look at him.

His head was bowed, as he said “come with me into the woods, I need to show you something.”

“Ok, but do you have anything I can wear, than just a shirt?” I asked, looking down at myself, nothing but my underwear, my bra and a plain grey shirt, which feel to my knees, to keep me warm.

“Come on,” he said, taking my wrist and pulling me to the stairs. “I’ll try find you something.”