Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Twenty-Seven

“I’ve never been to a dance before.” I sighed.

“Wow, so I guess I’m your first dance, then.” Alex laughed.

“Sure are.” I smiled.

My head was resting against Alex’s chest as we slowly moved to the music. Beside us Danny and Cara were doing the same.

We had drove miles out of town, to our location, where the dance was held, at the Eastern pearl, a fancy party hall, which when we entered, was decorated with balloons and streamers, with multi-coloured party lights and a very large DJ desk.

“Has anyone spotted them yet?” Cara asked, her eyes darting around the room full of university students who also slowly danced to the music.

“Not yet,” Danny replied, signalling to us to disburse from one another.

“What if we see him?” I asked just as Alex arched me backward.

“You run to the nearest church; Casper is forbidden to go in there. If he walks in there, he is automatically pulled into the pits of Hell where he belongs.” Alex answered with a dark smile.

“What about Evangelina? She didn’t fall from Heaven. She was sent to look out for Winter with me; she can enter.” Cara pointed out.

“She betrayed the Throne; she won’t chance it, she isn’t that stupid to attempt it.” Danny noted.

“Bitch. She betrayed us all. I trusted her; I thought she was looking out for me. It’s my entire fault.” I seethed as Danny and Cara split from me and Alex.

“Hey,” Alex whispered, pressing his forehead against mine.

“We all fell into her trap of trust, her little lying game of betrayal. It’s not your fault; it’s hers and Casper’s fault, not yours.” Alex reassured.

Alex pressed his lips against mine and smiled, just as the music cut off and voices began to echo, whispers of what’s going on.

A loud clapping noise bellowed from the speakers and then deathly familiar laughter followed.

“Sorry to ruin the party; I’d hate to be a party pooper. I am a right animal when it comes to parties.” A voice full of smug laughter filtered through the speakers.

Every student and teacher turned to face the stage where smoke machines, colourful lights and the DJ were set up.

I stood beside Alex, whose hand locked with mine, pulling me close to his side.

The voice was so familiar, but with the large distance I was away from the stage, I struggled to see who it was; all I could see was five figures stood in a V formation, the speaker at the front.

“You see, ladies and gentlemen, I am here today because I am looking for a runaway girl, a girl that belongs to me.” The voice proclaimed with a bitter laugh. “See, I was betrayed by two people, two people I thought were my brothers, but it all changed when my girl seduced them.”

“That’s a lie!” I hissed, now realizing who it was.

Heads turned my way.

“What are you doing?” Alex whispered, pulling me to him as I tried to make my way to the stage.

I shook him off and pushed through the crowd. I looked back to see Danny holding back Alex, who was thrashing and fighting to get to me.

“So, you are here then,” Casper beamed.

“You’re a lying, manipulative person, Casper, you know that!” I yelled.

I’d had enough of running. It was about time I faced my demons.

“Winter, Winter, Winter. You see, I am just that sort of person, honey; I can’t help it.”

“No,” I barked when I reached the edge of the stage.

I pushed myself up onto the stage and turned to the now curious audience.

“Alex, stop fighting him, it’s rather now or never.” I called to Alex, who stopped struggling and bowed his head.

“It’s hard when the one I love is putting her life at risk.” Alex cried out, his tone full of pleading for me to run.

I shook my head, “Sorry, Alex, too many people I love have been hurt.” I choked, thrusting back a swell of tears.

I turned to Casper, who held up his hand to stop one of the four guys dressed in black from pouncing on me.

“Take me, Casper. Kill me now in front of all my teachers and fellow classmates, I dare you.” I hissed, a deadly smile held steady on my lips.

“No!” I heard Alex roar, fury boiling in his tone.

“Let me go!” He yelped. “Let. Me. Go. How can you stand here and watch her throw away her life?”

A smile slowly pulled at Casper’s lips as he snarled, “I would, but I’ve already set up a way to kill you, a more fun way for me.”

“Seize her!” He ordered, pointing to me.

Casper’s men in black snarled, ragged bat wings springing from their backs. The crowd of students and teachers screamed and began heading for the nearest exit.

The four men snarled at me and leaped toward me. I spun out of the way but was flung off stage by one of their wings.

I cried out in pain but quickly struggled to my feet, dragging my winded body to an exit, clutching my stomach and taking as much oxygen as I could into my system.

I looked over my shoulder just in time to see Casper’s dusty black wings shoot from his back; he lunged for the exit I was heading for, his four men following behind.

I turned to find another exit but found the only way to get outside was back the other way.

I spun back around and headed to the exit, taking my chances, ducking just in time as a great black wolf took out Casper in mid-air.

I looked around to see Danny and Cara take out two of Casper’s followers, but Alex was nowhere in sight.

The wolf is Alex remember? He is part angel, part wolf - now run!

I ran for the exit, sliding through the door just as the two remaining men in black grasped for my arms, sending them with a thud into the walls instead.

I ran to the main doors, pushing through the hundreds of students and several teachers trying to get out the door.

I was out of the door when a hand grabbed my hair and yanked me into the air. I cried out in pain, thrashing at the arms that wrapped around my body, squeezing the air out of me.

“Stop fighting me; we all know you won’t win.” Casper snarled in my ear.

“We also know you’re going to lose.” I choked.

Using all the strength I had left, I thrust all my power into my leg, sending it backward between his legs. He groaned, dropping me to the ground. He may not feel pain, but no man can defy a blow to their manhood.

I moaned in pain and swore as someone stood on my hand.

“Come back here!” Casper roared as I hoisted myself up and stumbled to look for a church.
As I limped through the crowd, I tripped over Tom’s sister, Bella. She looked at me, a terrified look on her face, her eyes pleading for answers.

More startled screams echoed through the streets as a deadly growl boomed from beside me. Bella was about to scream, but I shook my head and she silenced herself quickly.

I turned slowly and came face to face with a wet nose pressed against my nose and two beady green eyes staring at me.

“Alex,” I whispered, reaching out to touch the wolf.

The wolf whimpered and nodded, then growled at Bella beside me.

I shook my head.

“It’s ok, she won’t say anything.” I said, instructing the last bit at Bella.

I turned my head and she nodded before scampering away.

Alex nudged me to my feet.

“Alex, I don’t know where a church is around here.” I whispered in a hurry as Alex shoved me on to the street and turned me left.

A steeple caught my sight, just up the road.

Alex whined and used his head to push me up the street, but then stopped and growled at Evangelina not far up the road. Alex nudged me around a corner and then ran off towards Evangelina, who came running at him.

Evangelina went flying into the trees when Alex’s paw battered her across the face. His ears pricked up and he turned towards me; he began to whine and yelp, stamping his paws on the ground, a sign that I had to run now - so I did.

Using all the strength I had, I began to run for my life.

I ran as fast as I could down an alley, dodging garbage cans and trash that was littered on the floor. It was harder in high heels and dressed in a long red gown when trying to run, but that was all I could do; run from what was running after me.

I heard Alex’s howl in the distance and cringed when I heard him whimper.

As I ran, I could feel my hair slowly falling out of its bun I’d styled it in for the winter university dance.

I knew people were going to start talking about what they saw, what they witnessed, what they had run from, but the power was no longer in my hands.

I was doomed one way or another.

I was directed to run as fast as I could to the nearest church by Danny and Alex. I didn’t understand why but I followed their orders to go to the church by taking back alleys in order to keep from being seen by Casper and his army of demons.

I skidded to a stop at the end of the alley, tumbling straight into Casper’s arms. He shoved me into the arms of two of his men. I began to kick and scream for help, but my screams were muffled by a thick strip of duct tape; I was still able to kick until by ankles were taped together.

In the end, I gave up struggling and fell limp in the mens’ arms, staring deep into Casper’s black eyes - the eyes of a demon, a demon trying to kill me for no apparent reason.

“Sorry to cut the chase short. I was kind of having fun.” Casper mocked. “Anyway, I’m not here to play games. I’m here to take the power you hold.”

I gave him a confused look. I didn’t understand what he meant by ‘the power you hold’.
I must have had a really confused expression because he chirped, “Oh, oh, you don’t know, do you?

“I thought your little lover boy Alex might have told you the whole story, or even your good friends Danny, Cara and Evangelina. Oops, that’s right, Evangelina betrayed you.” He laughed.

“Have you ever wondered why Alex came into your life? Or how the other two did - by sheer luck?

“I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but it’s not that. Alex, Danny and Cara only entered your life to get close to you as possible, and why, I hear you ask? Well, you, my dear, hold a great deal of power and it’s running right through your veins now, but there’s one problem: I want it for myself.

“So does Danny, your lover Alex, and your two best friends. If we kill you, we gain every ounce of your power, whether you like it or not. And I am going to get it whether you like it or not.”

He burst into hysterical laughter and the two men in black gripping me began to laugh too, making me squirm at the noise of the crackling laughter as it grew louder and bounced off the walls.

Casper had just answered all the questions that had been mocking me and tearing my mind apart ever since I met Alex, Danny and Casper and found out what Evangelina and Cara are. What made Alex come in my life, and everyone else at that matter; do they want anything from me? Why am I so important to them? All the answers linking together, a piece at a time like a puzzle, but there were still pieces missing in the picture, a big piece that need filling in soon before I go mad. But there was one question I still need answered.

Who am I really?