Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Thirty-one

Two days of prodding and pocking flew by and I was soon discharged from the hospital. I waved my good bye to the doctors and nurses and thanked them for caring for me, by buying a hell of a lot of chocolates and flowers and a rather large thank you card.

I was stood at the exit, talking to Tom.

“Here’s my number and my house address, as soon as you finish your shift, come here and we will talk about everything you need to know,” I said, handing a piece of paper to Tom, who nodded and hugged me good bye.

Alex was sat waiting in the land rover, his eyes glued to the front of him, one hand tapping impatiently on the steering wheel.

“I can tell you’re not happy with me,” I said casually, as I climbed in besides him.

“After what happened the other night, no I am not,” he replied flatly.

“Whatever, you lied to me, you all lied to me.”

“I lied because I love you,” Alex snapped, as he pulled out of the parking space.

“If you love me, you should have told me the truth,” I snapped back.

“Alex I trusted you, but you lied to me and that really hurt me,” I choked, holding back a flush of tears.

“I lied because I loved and cared for you so much, I didn’t want to hurt you,” he whispered, refusing to look at me.

“Alex, what you and the others did can’t be easily paid back for. You and Danny was set out to kill me and by the looks of things you changed your mind and convinced Cara and you know who that you had changed and I am thankful of that. I get it now; I am not even remotely human -”

“He told you then,” Alex sighed interrupting me.

I nodded.

“Listen Winter, you don’t understand how sorry I am and how much you mean to me, to the point that I would go to hell or perish just to make you happy. I didn’t kill you because there was more to you than what you truly are.

When I first met you back at the pool hall drinking your worries away, I listened to you tell your story to Max. I was so determined to kill you, but I couldn’t, I knew it and Max knew it.”

“Wait . . . Max was in this with you?” I asked stunned at the fact someone who was like my farther could do that.

Alex nodded, before he continued, “Max was an old friend of mine; I saved him from dying in the war, that’s when he retired and moved here. I told him everything, even about you before I even met you. But that night . . . I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.”

I felt tears swell behind my eyes and one spill over, rolling down my cheek and landing on my lap.

“You really do love me,” I whispered.

“Do I need to tell you how much I do again,” Alex laughed lightly.

“No,” I laughed sadly.

“Alex, I am so sorry for the other day, I must have really hurt you.”

Alex nodded and then pointed to the compartment in front of me.

“There’s a gift in there for you,” he said.

I pulled open the compartment and pulled out a small box, wrapped in silver wrapping paper and a gold bow.

“What is it,” I asked examining the box.

“Open it and see,” he smiled.

I carefully unwrapped the box, pausing a moment and then opening it up. Inside sat a large gold diamond incrusted heart shaped locket.

“Alex . . . it’s beautiful, but how could you afford it, this . . . this is just too expensive looking,” I gasped.

“Being who I am has its advantages.”

Engraved on it in fancy writing were our names on each side.

Winter Alexandra Bloom & Alex Linguine

I began to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” Alex asked, stopping at a traffic light.

“Alex linguine, that’s your name,” I smiled.

“Yep, amazing isn’t it,” he laughed, resting his hand on my leg.

“It’s sexy.”

“And I thought you was the sexy one,” he smiled darkly and lent into kiss me.

I pressed my finger to his lips, pausing him, as I said “watch the road; I don’t want to be in hospital again.”

“How can I keep my eyes on the road, when you’re in the car,” Alex’s smile darkened.

“We can kiss and make up later now drive,” I grinned.

“Drive what, me crazy, because you’re driving me round the bend after you.”

“Ok stop with the chat up jokes, you’re going to -”

Before I could finish my sentence, Alex’s phone chirp, from his jean pocket. I leant over and pulled it out and answered it, putting it on loud speaker.

“Hello,” Alex answered.

“Turn the radio on, it’s an emergency,” Danny said, with too much worry in his tone.

“Which station,” I asked, flicking through the radio stations.

“Capital is it?” he asked.

“Yeah, but what’s the big emergency?” I asked, flicking to the station.

“Just listen,” he ordered lightly.

“Da -”

Several nights ago at a quite winter dance, for the student at University of Salford, there was a disturbance of the inhuman kind, which witness claimed that five ‘rebel angels’ had disrupted the dance, to kill student ‘Winter Alexandra Bloom’ who was later found unconscious in the snow besides the burning church St. April, with what seemed to be a large black wolf who refused to leave her side.

“What the hell,” I chocked, at the sound of my name.

Students claimed that fellow students and friends of Winter’s ‘Alex linguine,’ ‘Daniel Decaprio’ and ‘Cara Jones’ were also involved in the fiasco.

Police are claiming that the ‘five rebel angels’ were part of a surprise show for the students, but are looking for answers for the incidents that followed.

“This really isn’t good news,” Alex growled.

Now back to the hit music you love on capital FM.

“What are we going to do?” I asked Danny.

“We have no other option, too many know, we leave and start again,” Danny confirmed.

“What?” I choked. “We can’t leave. What about my family, my grandmother, my granddad, my aunts, uncles, cousins -”

“We can’t risk it. Sorry Winter, we leave tonight. Alex take Winter home, help her pack and then come straight here.”

“Ok, but what about the cops? They will send out a search team when they notice her missing, she is prime suspect in several incidents, they’re going to want to talk to her,” Alex pointed out.

“Well let them search. We can’t stay here; we are going to get killed when they find out what we all are.”

“Oh hell to this,” I snapped.

When the car rolled to a stop at another traffic light, I unbuckled myself and hopped out the car, slamming the door behind me, as I made my way to the pavement.

“Winter,” Alex called after me. “Winter come back.”

“No,” I yelled, turning towards Alex, as he pulled up beside me.

“I can’t take it no more, running for the rest of my life, because of who we are, because I am Satan’s daughter? So what, I rather tell the world, than run until I grow old and die,” I spat.

“You can’t die, you can’t grow old and you can’t get hurt. Since you turned eighteen, you became immortal, you have powers no other person or creature has, not even Casper and he was your brother. You’re different. You may not have noticed the powers you hold because your still in the process of changing over, or feel that aching itch of your wings, dying to be set free and fly, but I can tell you when your time has fully come and you tell the world who you are, your done for.”

“To hell with it,” I cursed.

“You can have this back,” I spat, throwing the chain into Alex’s face.

“Tell Danny and Cara not to come looking for me and that implies to you too,” I choked, trying to keep my nerve and not cry.

“But -”

“It’s over Alex. I no longer have the will to fight,” I whispered looking away and left before he could reply with a flat out run at an inhuman speed.

In the distance I heard the roar of an engine and a skid of car tires, which faded in the distance as I picked up speed, avoiding not hitting people as I ran inhumanly.