Chapter One- Timing

Day by day, I’d sit there and watch him from my kitchen window. Hiding behind a curtain, brown curious eyes watching the face of a man I didn’t even know the name of. Sometimes, he’d catch me watching and I’d jump back, my cheeks brightening with a soft shade of pink. All the while though, I’d catch that smile; the smile that sent my heart in a fluttering frenzy.
Today, he came –as always- standing across the street talking to my neighbor. His arms crossed over his chest, leaning against the hood of his car. It was nearly thirty degrees outside and snow was falling, why they stood outside, I’d never understand.
I shivered and tugged the ends of my sweaters sleeves down over my knuckles; standing at the window was a silly idea. It only made me even colder. The sound of the tea pot screamed and I jumped, looking over towards the stove, sighing. Taking another glance at the window, I had to do a double-take. The man was walking across the street, and towards my house! I just stood frozen in place, watching him come closer and closer, and the kettle still screaming. His yes caught mine and he grinned, and I well blushed.
Quickly, I jumped to the stove and turned the burner off, lifting the steaming kettle to the back of the stove. And that’s when he knocked. I froze again, turning my eyes to the kitchen door that led outside. I just stared for a few moments, my mind full of feelings and thoughts and scenarios on why he had come over. “Move idiot!” I screamed inside my head, but my feet were glued to the tile.
Licking my lips, I finally conjured up the nerve to move towards the door. Another knock meaning he was still there. Oh gosh, what was he even doing here? Whatever it was for, my heart was bound to beat straight out of my chest. Straightening the brown locks that fell over my shoulders and the strands of hair that fell across my forehead, my free hand moved to wrap around the doorknob, slowly tugging it open.
Then there he was; the tall brown haired, green eyed man, that grin still on his face. I bit my lip and smiled too, leaning against the doorframe, eyeing him.
“Hello there,” I tried to say normally, but my nerves caught the best of me and my voice leaked. He laughed softly and I watched as his eyes sparkled, the corners of his lips pulling back to show evidence of thick laugh lines, and a light dimple on his right cheek. My cheeks brightened again as I caught his eyes doing an “up-and-down” of my body, meeting my eyes again when he finished.
“Hey,” he spoke eventually and I swear I caught a hint of nervousness within his voice as well. “I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind. “ Oh god. He was going to ask why I’m always staring at him or something like that. But I just casually nodded.
“Go on,” I murmured, one of my brows rising slightly, which were hidden behind my bangs. He looked down to his feet, his hands tucking into the pockets of his navy blue pea coat.
“Well,” he started, and I noticed him draw in a deep breath, lifting his head enough that I was able to see his eyes again. “Well, would you marry me if I was rich?”
I blinked at the question, catching me completely off guard. What kind of question was that anyways? Pursing my lips, and shrugged, wary in case it was a trick question. “I supposed I would,” I whispered, blushing at the answer. I watched him smile and nod, licking at his lips.
“Okay, would you marry me if I was poor?” He tilted his head, his eyes watching mine, as if he was searching for the answer before I even spoke it. I looked down and shrugged again, shifting my weight on my opposite foot.
“Well, yeah, I guess so.” I nodded, biting at the inside of my lip, trying to keep myself from smiling. His smile widened into a grin and he nodded again, stepping a little closer. I swallowed and watched him, my heart speeding faster.
“Good,” he whispered, looking down for a moment, one of his hands appearing again to run his fingers through his hair. “Third question; would you like to go get something to eat with me sometime?” He looked back to my face and I noticed his cheeks were a few shades darker red. I bit my lip even harder, nodding quickly.
“I would like that. When would you like to go?” I murmured, trying to keep myself from grinning like an idiot.
“What about now?” He grinned, cocking his head back a little, motioning to his car. I glanced towards it, taking in the vehicle before looking back to him, and then back again. He drove a 2007 Fords Mustang; maroon. I pursed my lips and shrugged, my eyes moving back to his. Man, they were so beautiful.
“Let me give my mom her tea, tell her I’m going out, and get my coat. I’ll be right back,” I whispered, and he nodded, stepping back onto the last step of my porch. I smiled and he did too, his right dimple showing again. I stepped back and slowly closed the door, quickly moving around the little kitchen to get mom a tea cup and pour her tea. Careful not to spill the cup, I sprinted into the living room.
“Ma, I’m going out for a little while. A friend wants to take me to lunch, is that okay?” I asked, the baby blue walls and the sound of Lifetime welcoming me; moving into the living room, setting the cup next to her on the end table. She slowly turned her head and smiled weakly up at me, nodding.
“That’s fine sweetheart, go have fun with that sweet boy,” she spoke softly. It killed me that her leukemia had gotten this bad, and that she refused to stay in the hospital. Sighing quietly, I nodded and touched her cheek.
“I won’t be gone long, a few hours tops.” With that, I turned and sprinted towards my room, running down the little hallway, pushing open the door at the end. Passing my desk, I grabbed my light gray pea coat and scarf from the back of my chair. Slipping each on as I quickly moved to the side of my bed, sitting on the pillow top mattress, and picking up my moccasin boots and slipping each on. Once finished, I jumped up, checked my appearance in my little mirror beside my bedroom door, and then rushing out.
“I love you mom!” I called to my mother while passing the living room, heading back into the kitchen. Stopping in front of the door again, I drew in a deep breath to calm myself, and then reopening the door. His back had been turned towards me, but when I stepped out onto the porch, he turned and smiled at me, causing me to smile like a goof all over again. I still couldn’t believe he was here, taking me out. I awkwardly lifted a hand and waved, my fingers wiggling slightly. He chuckled and cocked his head back towards his car, and I stepped off the porch, walking to his side.
“By the way, my name is Amy Swatson,” I murmured, looking down to the sidewalk that led from the fence to my porch, tucking loose strands of hair behind my hair. I heard him chuckle and his hand was out in front of me.
“Tyler Williams,” he grinned and I slipped my hand into his much, much bigger one. Though, instead of him just simply shaking my hand, he surprised me by lifting my hand to his lips, gently kissing the tops of my knuckles, causing my heart to skip a few beats. His lips were warm and soft, the corners turning up into a smile, dropping my hand gently back against my side.
The butterflies had tripled. Oh god. I sighed deeply and bit my lip, turning my eyes away from him and to his car, trying to focus on getting my breathing- and heartbeat- back to normal.
“So where are we going anyways?” I asked and he stepped in front of me, leaning in to open the passenger side door for me. I smiled and slipped inside, grabbing the seatbelt, slipping it over my torso, watching him as he sprinted in front of the car to his side, sliding into the driver’s seat quickly.
“It’s so cold, dammit.” He chuckled, buckling his own seatbelt, grinning over to me. “And, it’s a secret.” He winked and stuck the keys into the ignition, turning and starting the car. I rolled my eyes and looked around the little car as he pulled away from the road, starting down the road. “What kind of music do you listen to, Amy?” He asked, looking over to me, that cheesy grin on his face again.
“Just a little of everything, depends on my mood.” I watched him for a few moments after I answered, waiting on his expression. He nodded slowly and looked back to the road, laughing quietly.
“Well, what’s your mood right now?” I raised a brow and shrugged, biting at my lip.
“I’m not sure really. Happy. Excitement. Nervous. Really... “I paused, thinking for a moment and laughed again, looking down to my hands, fumbling with my thumbs. “Just really light,” I murmured, glancing up to him again.
“What’s making you happy?” He smiled and I caught him staring at me. I could feel my cheeks growing warm from the question and I turned my head to try and hide the blush, pretending to look out the window.
“Things,” was all I said, attempting to sound casual, but from the sound of his laugh I knew I had failed. After a few moments, and my cheeks were clear again, I looked back to him. “What about you, Tyler?”
“What about me?” He chuckled, glancing over to me and then back to the road. I watched him and sighed a little. He was so handsome, I mean I knew he was from afar, but now so close he was really handsome. I bit my lip again, it seemed like it was becoming a habit, and shrugged, laying my head back against the headrest of the seat.
“What type of music do you like?” I finally said, my eyes wondering down over his face, taking in every aspect of it. His cheeks and neck had light stubble, like he hadn’t shaved in a day or so. I watched the way his lips moved when he spoke, and it made me smile even more. Remembering the way they had felt against my knuckles, curiously wondering what they would have felt like against my lips instead, just once.
“Kind of like you, I dig anything really. I can listen to some of the heaviest music one minute, and then just really mellow out and listen to something like Frank Sinatra.” He shrugged and looked over, catching my eyes.
“You like Frank Sinatra?” I laughed softly, and he nodded, laughing too.
“Hell yeah, he’s a legend man!” His voice got a little louder and it made us both laugh even more. He was too adorable.
“I listen to him mostly during Christmas. It’s something my mom and I started doing ever since my dad left,” I spoke quietly, and his brows furrowed, lips falling down into a frown.
“Oh,” he murmured, glancing over to me, the sparkle in his eyes a little faded. “I’m sorry. What happened? Only if you want to tell me, of course!” He nodded, searching my eyes and I sighed.
“No, no, don’t be sorry! That’s a story for another time. I just want to focus on now, the past is too sad. I’d rather stay happy.” I spoke softly, smiling slightly. He nodded and matched my smile.
“Then happy I shall make you,” he murmured, and I looked down, biting my lip to keep from smiling more. He looked away as we turned into a little diner. “We’re here,” he spoke louder, normal again. I looked up again and turned my eyes to the tiny restaurant.
“I’ve never been here before,” I blinked, reading the dimly lit sign above. He chuckled and tucked his keys into his pocket, opening his door quickly and running around to my side to open mine. I smiled up at him as he helped me out; I flushed at the touch of his hand in mine again. I looked around for a few moments; the entire parking lot was covered in a blanket of white, the exception where we had just pulled in. I shivered as the wind blew, causing more snow to fall and blow against us. I was surprised to find Tyler’s arm wrap around my shoulders, shielding me from the cold.
“Let’s hurry,” he whispered against my hair and I could feel my body shiver, growing a few degrees warmer. I nodded and we awkwardly ran across the parking lot, towards the little diner, the warm glow of lights inside just beckoning us inside. When we came to the doors, he didn’t let me go, instead he tugged me closer and pulled the door open, tugging us both inside.
A strong scent of cinnamon and a warm gust of air hit my face all at once. I shivered at the different temperature, stepping away from the doors. When Tyler finally let me go, he stepped in front of me so he faced me. We both smiled through chattering teeth. He un-wrapped my scarf for me and rubbed his hands up and down my arms quickly, attempting to generate enough heat.
“Damn cold,” he cursed beneath his breath and we both laughed. Finally a woman came to seat us, asking where we would like to sit and Tyler just said somewhere warm. She nodded and we followed her to the back of the diner, where a lot of old paintings of cowboys and Indians chased each other on wild horses. She stopped at a little booth and asked us for our drinks, which we both agreed on hot chocolate. Once she excused herself, we slid into the booth, the hard leather cracked open from old age. We sat so we were across from each other, and we both just smiled again.
“It’s so cozy in here,” I chuckled, slipping my arms through my jacket, laying it against my side. Tyler nodded and shook his jacket off as well.
“And warm,” I nodded and sat one of my elbows on the table top, my chin laying in the palm of my hand, our eyes meeting yet again. “Are you warm now?” He spoke quietly, loud enough for just us to hear. I nodded again and smiled down at my opposite hand.
“Just my hands are cold now,” I spoke in the same hushed manner and he leaned forward, taking both of my hands in his, blowing warm air against my fingertips. I laughed softly, watching him, my hands already beginning to warm up.
“Better?” He asked, looking over my knuckles to me, grinning.
“Better,” I echoed quietly, nodding. He nodded and dropped our hands to the table, sitting in silence for a few moments before the waitress returned with our two cups of hot chocolate. Steam lifted from the drinks, disappearing almost as fast as it showed.
“I’ll be back in a minute to take your order.” She said, laying two menus in front of us before disappearing again. Tyler let go of one of my hands, picking up his menu with his own now. I watched his eyes as they skimmed over the page, his head nodding once and then he laid the menu down again. I rose a brow and picked up mine, looking over the variety of foods.
“What’s good here?” I asked, the images of different burgers and soups and desserts all seeming too appetizing.
“Everything! Anything you order, you won’t be disappointed. Trust me,” he chuckled and I huffed, raising a brow.
“Should I?” I teased and he scoffed, acting hurt.
“You should!” he pretended to pout, batting his lashed-which were extremely long for a man- my heart just melted at the sight. He was such a goofball.
“Why should I?” I tilted my head, laughing softly at him.
“Because,” he nodded, smirking. “Point blank.”
“Give me a reason.” I nodded and he rolling his eyes, lifting the hand he was still holding, brushing his lips over the back of it, goose bumps appearing over the spots he touched.
“Because, I’m not going to hurt you,” he whispered the words against my skin, his lips curling into a smile, eyes closing. When will these butterflies stop? I felt as if my stomach was bound to lift itself right through my mouth, or I was going to throw up butterflies or something like that. I bit my lip, trying to keep my smile under control.
“Are you guys ready to order?” the waitress asking, sounding a little aggravated that neither of us had noticed she returned. I wonder how long she had been standing there. Shaking my head to come out of my and Tyler’s little world, I looked over to her, red faced.
“Um,” I stuttered, and Tyler just laughed.
“We’ll take one order of your large spaghetti,” Tyler told her finally, handing her both of our menus. Once she walked away, he turned back to me, grinning. “Well, that was awkward.” I nodded and hid my face in my free hand, not wanting him to see the ridiculous shades of red along my cheeks. “Hey! Don’t do that!” he huffed, gently grabbing at my wrist and tugging it away. “I like your face, especially that shade of red.” He winked and I just flushed all over again.
“Oh please,” I murmured, swatting at his hand playfully. He pretended to be hurt again, and I just laughed.
“C’mere, I have an idea,” he whispered, tugging at the hand he was still yet holding. I blinked but followed once he got up and moved to the opposite side of the room. “Close your eyes,” he said, dropping my hand. I stopped, and did as he said, listening to him walk off. There was a moment of silence before music began to play and Tyler’s hands slipped into mine.
“Frank Sinatra,” I whispered as he pulled me close, our bodies swaying along with the music for a few moments, before he pulled me against his chest and then spun me out, grinning with a nod. I spun in a slow circle for a second and then he pulled me back into him, my back now against his chest.
“This song is one of my favorites,” he murmured into my ear, and I shivered away giggling.
“Don’t do that!” I yelled quietly, holding my ear. I watched him as he began to smirk, stepping closer.
“Why? Are you ticklish, Amy?” he asked, the smirk turning evil. My eyes widened and I stepped back.
“No, no! You better stay away, Tyler!”
“Or what?” he grinned deviously, stepping even closer. I was beginning to run out of space to step back in to, oh no.
“Or something bad will happen!” I nodded, watching as he lifted his hands, his fingers wiggling.
“I don’t believe you!” and with that, he leapt forward and pressed me back into one of the walls, his hands at my sides, moving quickly as he tickled me. I threw my head back, trying to contain my laughter down to a reasonable tone.
“No! Tyler, stop!” I squealed, burying my face into his shoulder, attempting to try and catch his fast hands. Finally he stopped when I succeeded to grab onto his wrists, and he tilted his head, looking down to me. I turned my head a little to meet his eyes, glancing to his lips and back to his eyes a few times, smiling nervously.
“Come on, food will be here soon,” he whispered, smiling too. I nodded and he pushed himself away, taking my hand again. We both slid into our seats and I flushed a little, still thinking of how close he had been to me, his lips just a breath away from mine. I shuddered at the memory and bit my lip, looking up to him.
“I didn’t know you could dance,” I finally broke the silence, laughing awkwardly. He shrugged and lifted his cup to his lips, taking a small drink before speaking.
“You don’t really know much about me.” He grinned and I rolled my eyes. “No, but I dance here and there. I was sort of made to do it when I was fifteen because my grandmother thought it would be a good trait. She said girls would love it,” she shrugged, chuckling.
“Well, it stole my heart,” I murmured and we both smiling.
Once the waitress came and we ate, he helped me up and put my jacket back on, grinning as he purposely wrapped the scarf around my neck completely wrong. I swatted at him and told him to go pay while I untangle myself; he laughed and slid into his own jacket, walking towards the front. I looked around the little diner, which had been empty except for Tyler and I and a little old couple up front. I bit my lip and looked to the table, the warmth of his hand still in mine.
I waited for a few moments before I turned and walked to the front as well, standing a little off to Tyler’s side as he paid. He glanced over to me and smiled, laughing softly as I adjusted the scarf.
“C’mon, let’s go,” he mouth, taking the change from the cashier cocking his head towards the door, his hand reaching out to take mine. I smiled and stepped next to him, slipping my hand into his as we headed out. I squealed when he opened the door to the outside, the cold wind blowing against us once again. It had stopped snowing fortunately, but the lot was completely covered and the sky was almost dark.
“Gosh, how long have we been gone?” I asked once we finally got into the car, both of us shivering and desperately needing heat. He shrugged, turning the heat on full blast, blowing into his hands.
“A few hours,” he glanced over to me, as he pulled out from the parking spot, slowly driving away from the little diner. I looked out the window and chewed on my lip, rubbing my hands together quickly, shivering. “Here,” he murmured, taking my hands into one of his, smiling over to me.
“Thank you,” I chattered, laughing softly.
“No biggie, make you happy, remember?” I nodded and leaned my head back against the seat, closing my eyes and focusing on the feeling of his thumb brushing against the back of my hand.
I must have fallen asleep on the drive home because when I reopened my eyes, Tyler was shaking me and red and blue lights flickered through the air. I sat up so I could look out the windshield, my eyes growing wide, my eyes just staring at the ambulance that sat in front of my house. I screamed and jumped out of the car, just as the men carried my mother out on a stretcher. A man pulled me to the side, only to confirm my biggest fear. I fell to my knees screaming out, the ambulance becoming blurry as tears swelled and fell down my cheeks quickly. I didn’t even realize when Tyler’s arms slipped around me, trying to pull me away from the ambulance.
  1. Chapter One- Timing
    Where Tyler and Amy meet, and fall in love! But, something bad may happen, read to find out what it is. c: