Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

Butterflies Exploding in my Chest

Walking down the school halls, I felt the familiar prickle of eyes trailing behind me. I’d grown used to it by now. The desperate smiles of the hopeful girls. The cocky winks of the confident boys. I waved off the brief greetings of the students lining the lockers, smiling reassuringly at those who nervously presented a party invitation in my direction. I probably wouldn’t go to most of them, and their invite would be lost in the abyss that was my locker.

“Hey Raven!”

I turned to see a small redhead struggling to weave through the thick mass of students that had welded together to moment I’d passed. Her hair was a brilliant contrast to her pale skin and bright green eyes, and the innocence about her reminded me of Avery.

“Hey,” I smiled, and she hesitated as if taken aback by my greeting.

“I, uh, was asked to give this to you,” she blushed, stretching her arm out with a folded piece of paper tucked neatly in her fingers.

The paper was thin and hastily folded and I couldn’t help but scan the hall for whoever it had come from. Perhaps a pair of eyes that curiously watched me, waiting for me to read what they couldn’t give me themselves. Finding nothing, I slid my thumb between the fold and flipped the note open.

He couldn’t have picked a worse time to set up a meeting.

Completely unwillingly, my feet shuffled back the way I’d come, my eyes trained on the front doors of the school. Watching as they continuously swung back and forth, thickening the crowd that swarmed within the building walls.

That stampede of shoes along the linoleum floor scrambled around me as I headed in the complete wrong direction, and I could feel the confused glances of the greetings I ignored. My mind was on one person and one only. Honestly, I didn’t think it had left.

“Looking for me?”

Just as I reached the wide trunk of the school’s ‘Life Tree’, Jeremy stepped out from behind it, a smirk plastered arrogantly on his face. Folding my arms over my chest, I lifted a brow and held the note up for him to see.

“Not exactly,” I muttered. “It seems it’s the other way round. Now what do you want?”

Trying to ignore the slight flutter in my chest as Jeremy stepped forward, I kept a blank face, eyeing the boy warily. I’d told myself to stay away from him. To distance myself. Not just because of the strange behaviour he had shown so far but a reason completely unknown to me. I was drawn to him. My thoughts steering infuriatingly to his face. His smirk. The way he laughed as he spoke casually with Laura.

“To talk, of course,” he replied.

I waited for him to continue, but he only scratched the back of his chocolate brown head, his lips turning up at the corners.

“About?”

Ignoring my question, Jeremy stepped closer, his shoes brushing through the long blades of grass. The sun was shining brightly in the sky, filtering through the leaves of the Life Tree and lighting Jeremy’s hair with a layer of gold.

There was something about it him that seemed oddly familiar. I chalked it down to a sense of déjà vu; knowing I had dreamed of him frequently of late. I could feel my smirk turning slowly to a confused frown as Jeremy stepped even closer, reaching his arm out to me once he’d gotten within range.

I held my breath. My heart skipping a beat as my cheek was warmly cupped in Jeremy’s hand. His touch was soft, his breaths shallow, and the tenseness of his shoulders released slightly. The small smile tickling at the corners of his lips was genuine as his eyes scanned every centimetre of my face before focussing on my eyes.

His forehead pressed against mine as he leaned down and whispered. “You really don’t remember, do you?”

My breathing was hoarse, stunned by the unexpected proximity. “Remember what?” I mumbled almost inaudibly.

Never had a boy put me in such a position before. I’d never felt so out of control, so desperate. And when he brushed his lips against mine, my body went haywire. Butterflies exploded in my chest at the two second connection, attacking my ribs with a pounding ferocity, and when Jeremy pulled his lips away I almost whimpered pathetically in disappointment.

“Me.”