Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

Moonlight Pebbles Knocking at my Window

Crack.

The sound startled me from the light nap I had managed to fall into, my eyes snapping open only to be met with darkness. Blinking rapidly, I could feel the tightness of my jeans and shirt, having fallen asleep before I’d even taken a shower and changed. The house was silent, only the creaks of its old frame moaned into the night, humming an eerie melody with the wind that blew against the window.

Crack.

My heart thumped against my ribcage as the single note rang through my head. The sound had been strong, and deliberate, screaming to be heard. To be noticed. Like the crack of lightning, only no light illuminated the room, and no rain pelted the windows.

Crack.

My head whipped around to the window, finally narrowing down the source of the noise. Silently sliding off the top of my bed, I stretched – almost catlike – across the carpeted floor and pressed up against the wall beneath the sill. A thin sliver of moonlight glowed against my fingertips as I waited, gathering the courage to see what was making the noise.

Crack.

Any moment now, and my dad would come barging into my room on high alert. The cracks were becoming deafening in the silence, and it was then that I decided I had to silence it. Swivelling on my toes, I gripped the edge of the windowsill and slowly crept up the wall. The tree outside my window was barely visible in the darkness, but as I carefully peered outside I could see the dark mass of the plant’s position.

It was times like this that I hated. When my mum had taken down the curtains to wash and essentially left my room visible to all of the outside world. Privacy was no longer my own, and even now when curtains could have come in damn handy, I was at a loss.

Fortunately for me, this was a time that I didn’t need to be afraid of. As my gaze eventually reached the backyard below, a familiar pair of silvery eyes stared up at me, a coy smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes as he gave me a casual salute, pointing at the tree before opening the window. I’d never had need for using the thick tree branch that was conveniently beside my window, but I’d had mind enough to keep the knowledge close to me. I just watched as the boy stealthily climbed the thick oak with barely any trouble at all. As if he had a lot of practice.

“What do you want?” I whispered once he’d finally slithered into the room and I switched on the light. I tried not to blush as his eyes travelled over everything, stopping once or twice at my desk, and my DVD collection.

“To talk,” Jeremy stated in an obvious tone. “It’s time we talked about what happened the last time I was here.”

There was definitely a lot we needed to talk about. The last time he had been in my room, I’d told him to leave. 3 in the morning, or not, as soon as my memory had come flooding back I freaked out. I’d been avoiding the subject ever since. But after Bentley’s behaviour this afternoon, my interest had been piqued, and as far as I could tell there was one person who knew the answer.

“Listen, I know it might be difficult to hear, but it’s important that you trust me,” Jeremy began. “And you know you can. I know you remember me.”

Studying my blue painted toenails, I nodded slightly, not particularly wanting to look at him just yet. The strange memory was still engraved in my mind, though I’d been chalking it down to a dream. To have met him in a forest, where he claimed to be a hunter, and I claimed to be the voice of the Forbidden Mountains – well – it sounded disturbingly like some sort of Supanova Festival. Just two kids pretending to be from another world.

“I don’t know what I remember,” I mumbled. “And even if I did, I still don’t know if I can trust you. I don’t know who you are to me.”

Something like hurt stung Jeremy’s features as he furrowed his brows at me, and stepped closer. I couldn’t deny the attraction I felt for this man. It was the way he held himself. Such confidence, and yet he looked to me with pride and trust.

“You can trust me,” Jeremy insisted, his hand cupping my cheek. “If you didn't, you wouldn't have fallen in love with me.”