Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

How to Believe in the Unbelievable

My fingers lightly clutched at my pendant, running the small charm from side to side along the chain as if it were a ball on Newton’s cradle. The dulled golden glow of my light barely illuminated my small room, dimmed enough so that I could still see Jeremy as he sat casually stretched out on my desk chair. My legs dangled over the side of my bed, only just reaching the carpeted floor with the soles of my feet. I waited patiently, allowing the boy in front of me some time to collect his words.

Finally, after what seemed like an hour, Jeremy inhaled a sharp breath and looked up at me with determination. His chocolate brown hair stuck out in all different directions, having been brushed through with his fingers countless times. As he leaned forward, his elbows pressed into his knees, hands now hanging limply between his legs. Shadowed beneath his hair, his eyes peered into my own, darkened from the lack of light in the room. He was handsome, much like the huntsman I had seen in my dream, or rather, memory. At that moment, I just knew I wanted to listen to everything he said.

“I’ve been hoping,” he began thoughtfully. “To find a way that might make it a little easier for me to make you realise the truth in my words, and possibly stop from making myself sound like I need to be put in a strait jacket. But this world hasn’t allowed for much hope, and they’ve done well to hide you from the truth.”

My brows turned down into a frown, my bottom lip unintentionally jutting out ever so slightly. Though I knew I was about to find out anyway, I couldn’t help but wonder about what it was that Jeremy seemed unable to say. The mysteries swimming around the house, and the objects found in it were consuming my thoughts, preventing them from straying. As if I wanted them to.

All I wanted right now was the answers I waited for. The answers inside the barricaded wall inside of my head. Lately, I’d felt as though the wall was slowly chipping away, like fingernails scratching at painted polish, but it wouldn’t crumble fast enough. I was going insane thinking about it. I knew this was my chance to tear down the blockage in my memory. To find the truth.

My hands rolled into fists, steadying the shaking that had erupted, and I turned to Jeremy’s Unsure gaze. “Truth about what?” I asked, half-whispering.

His lips pressed into a grim line before blowing out a sigh of frustration. “I can’t really find any other way to explain it,” Jeremy answered apologetically. “So I’ll have to do it in the most ridiculous way –” He paused, his fingers rubbing against his eyes before training them on me again. “It’s the only way I can think to do it in a complete, collected story.”

I was nodding encouragingly, eyes widening ever so slightly, my body scooting as close as I could go without falling over the side of the bed. My heartbeat was beginning to pick up, and my knee bobbed impatiently as I waited for Jeremy to start. I could tell it was coming. The air in the room seemed to shift with an unnatural power, much like the sense I had felt in the abandoned house. I shivered, a cold draft running down my spine even though the window had been closed a long time ago.

Finally, as Jeremy’s mouth opened to speak, I froze. My knee stopped bouncing, my heartbeat stopped, and my thoughts went completely silent as I eyed his luscious lips.

“Once upon a time…”