Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

Voice of the Forbidden Mountains

“The irony of living as the voice of the Forbidden Mountains is not having a voice at all.

The girl with the raven hair lived alone in the forest for many years, watching the trees as they swayed in the breeze, listening to the song of the wind as it caressed her home in a chill embrace. For years the daughter of the witch simply stalked her forest in silence, melting into the shadows as if she, herself, was a part of the trees.

Legends of the voiceless raven stretched to the far reaches of the lands. Whispers told of the girl’s voice bringing death to those unfortunate enough to hear it. That was why she never spoke, they said, it was why she lived alone.

However, no one knew the truth from lies, for no one could say where the rumours had begun and no one had ever lain eyes on her. Raven, daughter of the wicked witch, and voice of the Forbidden Mountains was a myth. A harmless myth told to travellers in warning to stay away from the Forbidden Forest. The forest was evil, and hardly a soul had walked out of it alive, until a huntsman unknowingly stumbled upon the dark forest in pursuit of a healthy doe.

One day, on a day that was no more extraordinary than the last, Raven of the Forbidden Mountains came across a man and for the first time since her newborn wails screamed through the forest, Raven voice graced the forest with its existence.

Enchanted by the hypnotic voice, the huntsman was surprised to find a beautiful maiden standing not two feet away from him. Her hair was dark like a Raven’s wings, her eyes a bright wide blue and her voice sang out strong and beautiful like a harp.

‘Leave the forest,’ she had told the hunter, but the hunter had already fallen, and the very next morning he returned.

‘Leave the forest,’ the raven girl said again. ‘I will not tell you again, hunter.’

Still the hunter did not heed the girl’s words and the next morning, as soon as the sun peeked over the distant mountains, the girl reappeared to him. Her hair danced furiously in the breeze, as dark as night and blue eyes ablaze with thunder. This time the huntsman was ready for her.

‘I will not leave the forest,’ he said with a mischievous smile. ‘For it is mine as much as it is yours. I will swear not to harm you, or any living creature in this forest; I simply wish to seek comfort within its border.’

Calmed by the huntsman’s surprising words, it was then that Raven realised that the hunter saw through her deceptive mask. The mask she adorned for strangers such as himself, warding off the threat with rumours and myths that swirled about her name in a cloud of fear and hatred. But he had realised from the very start that she was not the evil daughter of the wicked witch that she was made out to be. She had saved the life of a deer, and surely an animal would bear no significance to a person of that calibre.

Despite her best efforts, the huntsman would not leave, and his insistence was wearing him thin. So the hunter stayed, and the voice of the Forbidden Mountains let him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Second part of the fairy tale :)