Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

This Feeling Buzzing Incessantly in my Chest

Jeremy breathed heavily beside me, stretched across the length of my bed, the blanket covering him from the waist down. His cologne mixed with a sweet sweat, breathing around me as I lay tucked in the crook of his arm, my head buried comfortably in his shoulder. I knew what this was. The feeling buzzing incessantly in my chest as my eyes travelled to Jeremy’s steely gaze, and my finger lazily drawing circles around his belly button.

It scared me. I couldn’t recall ever feeling this way except for in this other world that I could vaguely remember. And another problem lay with the fact that I didn’t know what was real and what wasn’t. Were Michael and Holly Diablo really my parents? Was Avery really my sister? Though I didn’t want to ruin the perfect moment, I couldn’t stop the plaguing thoughts in my head. The sun was beginning to filter through my uncovered window, and I was sure that Jeremy would probably disappear on me soon. I had to get my answers before he left.

“What – what happened?” I whispered, tears springing to my eyes, and my fingers fisting the blanket. “How did we get here? Why don’t I remember anything?”

I snapped my gaze to Jeremy, accusation and confusion alternating through my mind. He smiled back sadly, his eyes still closed as he probably attempted to recuperate from hours of endless sex. The early morning was beginning to awaken now, the sounds filtering through the silence of night.

“Magic is what happened,” he answered quietly. “I don’t know who, but as far as I can tell, no one remembers.”

My brows furrowed in a frown, knowing exactly what he meant by that statement, but not knowing who he could possibly be talking about. “No one?” I asked.

It hadn’t occurred to me that perhaps me and Jeremy weren’t the only two stuck in the world I’d thought was real. That perhaps there were others, just as clueless as I was. But more importantly was how we got here. Jeremy had stated it was magic. The question was why?

“Every person you see, every person in this world, they all come from the real world,” Jeremy explained, his chest rumbling as he spoke. “But, like you, none of them have their memories. Only I seem to remember. Me and…”

Jeremy shifted uncomfortably, the soft glow of the sun beginning to frame his face in its golden light. At his pause, I sat up, the sheet covering my chest falling to the side and distracting him for just a moment before my voice brought him right back.

“Who?” I asked. “You and who?”

Avery’s squeal screamed through the house, and I knew that I couldn’t risk laying here naked with Jeremy any longer. Avery was famous for catching us all in the most awkward of circumstances. Knowing my luck she would come flying in here with her golden ringlets trailing in a river behind her.

Sliding from the bed, I hastily threw Jeremy’s clothes at him, collecting my own from the pile scattered over the floor. Jeremy seemed to get the message just as Avery’s voice began to get uncomfortably closer, her footsteps thumping down the hall.

“You have to go,” I whispered, pushing the boy towards the window just as he slid his shirt over his head.

I could feel the confusion tense in his muscles as he reluctantly stumbled for the frame, sliding it up as he crawled through the gap, dragging his jacket behind him. My heart was pounding in beat to Avery’s footsteps, stopping completely when she swung the door wide open the moment I threw Jeremy’s shoes at him. He was at the bottom of the tree, having escaped by a fraction of a second, and now he was giving me a sly smirk.

I shook my head, shooing him away before closing the window. But he wasn’t finished with me. As Avery’s excited giggle wrapped around my mind, two words mimed from Jeremy’s mouth.

“Bentley Harper.”