Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

Hidden in Your Dreams and Your Memories

There was something about Bentley that made me think that he wasn’t joking. That he really did intend on taking my first born child. Maybe it was the mischievous glint in his eye, or perhaps the thoughts of fairytales was beginning to make me crazy. In any case, I made certain that I didn’t agree for fear that he was actually serious.

“So what would you like to know, sweetheart?”

His directness took me by surprise, having expected our conversation to be taken some place more private. Instinctively my gaze shifted to the bustling bodies surrounding us, observing them suspiciously, and fishing out the eavesdroppers. Bentley laughed, clearly amused by my behaviour and seemingly completely at ease. As far as I could tell, he didn’t give two hoots about anyone who might overhear us. No matter how strange the conversation became.

Narrowing my eyes at the boy, I lowered my tone a notch, leaning in as I did so and gave him a bemused frown. “What is it you want from me?” I demanded with a whisper.

The boy chuckled again, eyes shining in delight at my obvious discomfort. “All in good time, Raven Diablo,” he smiled. “All in good time.”

Pursing my lips, my frown deepened. A slight chill was setting against my skin, putting me on edge as I waited beneath the shade of the café’s umbrella. Tugging my jacket a little tighter around me, I felt a sense of relief as the waitress finally arrived with my coffee. Hastily taking the paper cup in my palms, I held it to my chest, breathing in the warm scent that drifted through the tiny hole in the lid. Glancing up at Bentley, I bit at my bottom lip, knowing that he waited for me to continue.

“I want to know what happened to our world,” I stated bluntly. “And why I can’t remember.”

The steam of my coffee tickled at my chin, leaving behind a moist patch against my skin. A soft hum of voices blew on the breeze, a rolling sea of cars blurred down the streets. Bentley shifted in his chair, burying himself in a more comfortable position, taking the ever dramatic approach before replying.

“I’ve heard wind of a powerful spell known only to those strong enough to wield it,” the boy said with a careless wave of his hand. “Powerful enough, I hear, to send the world into complete darkness.”

Sipping at my hot coffee, I frowned. “What does that have to do with this world?” I commented impatiently, giving a huff of exasperation.

Bentley grinned, his wide smile annoyingly smug. “Where do you think the world went?” he asked, sending a wave of stupidity rolling through me. “Our world was sent into the shadows. Or darkness, if you will.” Pausing, the boy tilted his head to the side. “Our world, the real world, is hidden in your dreams and your memories. It’s beyond our reach, and yet it’s closer than you think.”

“That still doesn’t explain what happened,” I noted, hinting at a spark of accusation. “Or who would possibly do this. How do I know it wasn’t you?”

“How flattering,” Bentley smiled, vanity seething through his teeth. “Though I’m not surprised you noticed my power, unfortunately I didn’t have any part in this.”

“Then who?”

“I have to keep reminding myself how daft you are,” he mused, brushing an invisible speck of dust from his sleeve. “Honestly, have you not grasped the meaning of ‘keep your enemies closer’?” At his final words, the boy peered up at me through his lashes, his smile appearing pointed and otherworldly but I was barely looking at him anymore.

My thoughts were far away, diving into the pits of a memory lurking in the depths of my mind. The memories of three girls standing before me, their faces shrouded beneath the darkness of their hoods. And then, slowly, one by one they lowered their hoods.

Fern.

Marie.

As the last hood fell, I knew who I would find, though I could feel my heart pumping with desire not to see her disappointed face. Unfortunately luck was not on my side, and my stomach sank at the sight of her bouncing blonde curls and her bright blue eyes.

Flora.