Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

I Know Your Secret, Little Bird

“I can’t believe you!” Flora exclaimed. “Bentley is a machine! And he’s still in love with you! How could break his little heart?”

I huffed a sigh of annoyance, regretting telling the hyperactive girl the reason for my disappearance at the gathering. I blamed the sweet candy of her car for clouding my mind and essentially resulting in my admittance to the events of that night. Only I’d somehow managed to keep Bentley’s brother a secret.

“Flo, that was two years ago,” I argued. “And I kissed him. That’s it! We weren’t even dating!”

“But the fact he still loves you…”

“He doesn’t love me,” I interrupted. “And I most certainly don’t love him. I wouldn’t have done it if I’d known he’d get obsessive.”

Flora furrowed her brows, staring intently at the road as if she were actually paying attention to it. The wheels in her head were turning, I could practically see them behind her eyes and I knew exactly what was going through her mind. Confusion was settling into her skin, layering over the normally preppy film that coated over her body in a glossy shine.

Flora and Fletcher were the golden couple of the school; the couple you knew would never break up. And if they did, well, the end of the world was upon us. In all honesty, I couldn’t even remember when it was the two had gotten together. It had been so long; before the constant train of boys that Fern and Marie left behind and before my fleeting mistakes at parties.

The look in her eyes now, as she pulled into the school car park and turned to face me, I knew what she would say. She couldn’t imagine living my life. Sure I’d hooked up with people, but never the same guy more than once. I had one rule. I do not get tied down. I couldn’t remember when I’d started that.

Flora’s painted nails tapped against the steering wheel in an unsteady rhythm. “Can’t you at least go on a date with a guy?” She asked hopefully, opening the door before I even had a chance to answer.

Unfolding myself from the car, I sauntered into the school, Flora following at my heels as the students hastily scurried out of my path like the parted seas. Flora was still yammering on about dating and the latest guys who were about to brave my bitchiness and ask. I barely listened, keeping my eyes straight ahead and inwardly groaning as Fern and Marie joined my ranks, gossiping beside Flora.

We’d been through this before. My best friends plotting my sex life as if they’d find my prince charming in a cereal box. Every time I shot them down and I could find no other reason than, it wasn’t the time. The time wasn’t right. It was never the right time.

But this time, my thoughts drifted to a pair of silvery eyes and a deep chocolate voice.

“Hey Raven.”

Speak of the devil. My eyes whipped around in surprise, landing on none other than Jeremy Forbes as he leaned against a door way. A slight smile graced his lips as he watched me curiously as if studying an undiscovered species.

“Jeremy Forbes,” I smirked, turning to him, hip jutted out to the side. “Just the guy I was thinking about.”

Jeremy’s brow rose in a perfect arch, his smile widening. “I’m flattered,” he replied. “Didn’t think you’d even remember my name.”

The blush reddening my cheeks sent a warmth through my body and for the first time in my life, I could feel my nerves kicking in, but I refused to turn away.

“Who could forget a pretty face like yours,” I said, flicking my hair over my shoulder and sauntering towards him. I could feel the curious stares of my friends behind me, probably ready to pounce as soon as my little exchange with Jeremy was over. I trailed a finger across his jawline. He was so close now, I could feel his breath on my neck. I tried to ignore the effect his proximity held me in.

My breath hitched as the boy leaned in beside my ear, his lips brushing lightly against my hair.

“Don’t get too cosy, little bird,” he whispered. “I won’t fall that easily.”

His words took a moment for me to register. They sank deep into me, into a corner of my mind that I hadn’t realised existed and deep into the pit of my stomach. His words stirred a dormant thought, scratching at a wall placed heavily in my subconscious, and it scared me.

I backed away from Jeremy instinctively; confusion written all over my face as I stared at the knowing look he gave me. He grew smaller as I retreated, backpedalling towards my friends and disappearing into the growing crowd. That smile was familiar, though I couldn’t pick where exactly it came from. Seconds counted in my head, the thought of Jeremy ticking away and I knew that he would not stray far.

Without realising what I was doing, my gaze travelled back to the boy leaning against the doorway, his eyes still trained on me. I wasn’t much of a lip reader, but with Jeremy’s smile came a silent whisper.

I know your secret.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know your thoughts!