Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

I Got My Eyes on You

Two pairs of eyes stared at me from across the room.

The classroom was darkened; the only light coming from the shitty television that stood proudly beside Mrs Lowes desk. My nail scratched at the wooden surface of the table in front of me, thought it wasn’t quite loud enough to penetrate the lame-ass version of Romeo and Juliet blaring on the television screen.

My nerves had my jaw clenched tightly together, my head unable to focus on the movie and instead desperately forcing my eyes not to turn to the two boys.

Normally I wasn’t too bothered by the stares of those around me. I had grown accustomed to the desires they held. The jealousy. I’d been on top long enough to fight my way through gossip and scandals. It came with the job description.

These two particular sets bothered me immensely and at times I had almost lost it, turning furious eyes at the both of them, warning them to quit it. They didn’t, and I was left seething in hatred, waiting impatiently for the period to end. The second it did, I was out of my chair and fleeing for the safety of the crowded hall.

I’d been playing hide and seek all day with the two boys. The simple whiff of Bentley’s musky scent or the unsettling feeling of Jeremy’s presence had me back pedalling to the nearest girl’s bathroom. Never had I acted this way, and Flora was beginning to pick up on it.

“So we totally bagged on Bentley Harper’s stepbrother the other day,” she stated casually as we walked to our math class. “Heard his dad couldn’t put up with him. Sent him to his mother to live with, who just so happens to be papa Harper’s wife.”

“Yeah I heard,” I sighed. “As if it’s a big deal. Should I have rolled out the red carpet? Maybe given him my own personal tour of the school?”

Venom laced my tone with an uncomfortable bitterness lingering in my mouth. Confusion was already knotting Flora’s brows as she took her seat by the window looking hilariously like she’d just eaten a lemon. She’d already tried hassling me into spilling the beans on my particular hostility towards Bentley and his brother.

“No need to get snippy, Maleficent,” she answered.

My eyes narrowed at the ridiculous nickname, turning away only to watch in dismay as Jeremy sauntered into class, eyes immediately latching onto mine. A furious glare was plastered across his face, his penetrating eyes never faltering as he headed to the back of the class and I silently thanked God that he hadn’t taken the liberty of taking the empty seat beside me.

“The guy is practically eye-raping you,” Flora commented. The look on her face said it all. Whatever she had been thinking earlier had dissipated at the presence of Jeremy Forbes, clearly realising that he’d taken up strange stalker behaviour.

“Kid’s practically mentally unstable,” I shot back. “And he looks like a creep.”

“You mean hot,” my best friend added before quickly regretting her words. “Not that I… I mean he’s… I think… Oh whatever, don’t tell Fletcher I said that.”

My laugh filled the room, drowning out as soon as the rest of the students filtered into class. The smell of sweat layered the air with its foul taste. How would I possibly stand being in this room for an hour?

The teacher had barely lifted his hand to the whiteboard when a paper plane landed neatly on top of my notebook. It was obvious who it was from before I even turned around to see a blank stare gazing back at me; his eyes trailing to the plane as if indicating for me to open it.

I did, unfolding the creases as gently as possibly so as not to alert the teacher to my secret note. My eye grazed over the single line planted in the centre of the piece of paper. My heart beat quickened as I read the line twice. Three times. Four.

Impossible. Impossible. Impossible.

In fluid cursive were five simple words but a simple sketch caught my attention. Shivers ran through my body, goose bumps prickling my skin. I could faintly feel my teeth sink into my bottom lip and the ever so slight crease in my brow. The teacher voice was barely audible.

On the centre of the page was a rose, sketched perfectly down to a misshapen thorn beneath the flower; its petals dripping with red ink.

Did you like my gift?