‹ Prequel: Here and Now
Sequel: Let You In

Love. Sex. Magic.

Eleven

Patrick whistled to himself a week later as he walked towards the rink for an informal practice Jonathan had arranged. Back from his vacation with Whitney the day before, he was eager to get back to training for the upcoming season. After his successful date at Navy Pier with Aria, she had given him her number and he had texted and called her constantly, and taken her out three more times over the past week. He had surprised her on her lunch hour with a picnic lunch at the park across the street from the coffee shop on Tuesday, a fancy dinner date on Wednesday, and on Friday, he had moved a TV onto the balcony of his condo, bought a ton of junk food and popped popcorn so they could watch movies in the moonlight. He had been thrilled to have Aria snuggled in his arms as they watched the movie and they had both happily fallen asleep under the stars.

Patrick smiled when he saw Whitney sitting in the stands when he skated onto the ice for practice. He waved up to her and she waved back. Patrick motioned for her to come down so she moved down through the rows and met him at the door leading on and off the ice.

“Hop on,” he said, turning around and offering her back to him.

“What?! Are you crazy?” she exclaimed.

“No. Come on, I’ll skate you to the bench and you can watch from there. You know you want to. Just think about how much closer to greatness you'll be.”

“Viktor? Yeah, he is pretty great.”

“Whit!”

She giggled at his full on pout and wrapped her arms around his neck before hopping onto his back and wrapping her legs around his waist. He took off at full speed and Whitney squealed, laughing when Pat dropped her off at the bench.

“Will you be careful with her? Jesus...” Jonathan scolded as he skated up, spraying Patrick with snow. “You could’ve dropped her skating like that.”

“I’m Patrick fucking Kane. That never would have happened. I’m too amazing. Plus I’d never let anything happen to Whit. I had her,” he promised.

Jon glared at him until Whitney distracted him with a kiss. “What have I told you about being so serious captain seri-ass?” she teased him.

He mumbled something that only Whitney could hear and she giggled before leaning forward to whisper in his ear. Patrick saw the blush creep into Jonathan’s cheek.

“Really Whit? Right before practice? That’s just cruel,” Patrick said before skating away. He could hear Whitney’s laughter and looked back and grinned at her.

After practice, everyone headed out to grab lunch, the other guys crashing Whitney and Jon’s lunch plans. Whitney walked with Patrick, her arm hooked through his. As they waited to be seated, she rested her head on his shoulder.

“So did you behave while I was gone?”

“Yep.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

Whitney studied his face. “You actually look really sincere right now. You promise, no dirty girls?”

“No dirty girls, Whit.”

“Good because I have a surprise for you.”

“What?”

“I set you up on a date.”

“Whit...”

“Patty Cakes, trust me. You will LOVE me for this.”

“Who is it?”

“I’m not telling you that. That defeats the purpose of a blind date.”

“What if I already know her?”

Whitney grinned. “You might,” she sing songed to him before giggling.

Patrick’s pulse quickened. Whitney knew he liked Aria; she had to mean her. There was no one else they mutually knew that Whitney would ever set him up with. “Ok, I’m in.”

“That was easier than I thought it’d be,” Whitney said in surprise.

Patrick grinned. “I’m full of surprises.”

The were led to a table near the back and Whitney sat between Patrick and Viktor. Before anyone knew it, two hours had passed as they had joked and laughed throughout. As the guys each threw a credit card into a hat to determine which two would pay, Whitney leaned over to Patrick and squeezed his hand in hers.

“Don’t tell Jon but I missed you while we were gone.”

“I always knew you’d figure out one day you were in love with me.”

“You wish, Patty Cakes,” Whitney laughed. “You drive me crazy most days but you are my best friend.”

“Did you guys have fun?”

“It was amazing! No doubt the most relaxing vacation I’ve ever had.”

“Did he spoil you?”

“Of course.”

“Good. You deserve that and then some.”

“Thanks Pat.”

“So when is this date your planning for me?”

“Tomorrow. Six o’clock. Gilt Bar.”

“Really? Gilt Bar? Who's idea was that?”

“Mine.”

“All right, I’ll be there.”

Whitney leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Good boy.”

Patrick laughed, shaking his head.“You’re lucky I love you.”

~*~*~


Patrick walked into Gilt at 6:15 and took a seat at the bar with the best vantage point of the door. He tapped his foot impatiently, waiting for Aria to appear. He felt a tap on his shoulder twenty minutes later and turned.

“Patrick? Oh my gosh, it’s been years!”

“Caroline?”

She nodded. “How are you?” She asked, hugging him and then taking the bar stool beside him.

“I’m good,” he answered slowly, sitting back down. “What are you doing in Chicago?” He had known Caroline in high school. She didn’t run in the same circle as Patrick and Whitney had but they had mutual friends and knew each other.

“Working on my masters at Loyola. I saw Whitney at a coffee shop the other day. She looked really happy...and tan.”

“She just got back from a two week vacation with her boyfriend.”

“Well it was fantastic to see her. We talked for awhile and she insisted on setting me up with you.”
Patrick forced a smiled. “That’s Whitney. Always trying to play cupid.” Caroline giggled. “So uh...how’s life?”

“Can’t complain much. Working on my masters take up a lot of my time but I need to have some semblance of a life outside of that. How about you?”

“You know, training, training, and more training. Season is right around the corner. Will you excuse me for just a second? I need to use the restroom.” She nodded and flagged down the bartender as Patrick walked away. He pulled his cell phone out and stepped outside.

“Hello?” Aria answered.

“Aria? Where are you right now?”

“At home getting ready.”

“Ready for what?”

“Viktor is taking me and Leia to some fancy gala at the Art Institute tonight.”

“You’re not my blind date?”

“What in the world are you talking about?”

“Yesterday, Whitney told me she wanted to set me up on a blind date and I agreed because I thought it was going to be you. She hinted it was someone I know and who else do we both know in this city that she’d approve of?”

“Wait....you agreed to a blind date after we went out last week?”

“I thought it was going to be you and that it meant Whitney had forgiven me for the bar incident!” Patrick whined.

“I should have known when she showed up in the shop with another girl...”Aria muttered.

“Huh?”

“Oh hell. Can you ditch your date?”

“Yes.”

“Do you have a tux at home?”

“Yes.”

“Meet me at Viktor’s in thirty minutes, okay?”

“Aria, what is going on?”

“I think I know what’s going on but I know Viktor knows exactly what’s going on. He’s going to tell us. Just meet me there and don’t talk to anyone else until you get there.”

“Thirty minutes. I’ll be there.”

Patrick walked back out to the bar and Caroline smiled brightly at him. “Hey; I was beginning to worry about you.”

“Listen, Caroline, it was really great to see you but um, I’m sort of seeing someone and I only agreed to come because I thought she was who Whitney was sending here tonight because Whit doesn’t know about us. I'm really sorry.” He pulled out his wallet and put fifty dollars down on the bar. “Enjoy a few drinks on me though.”

Thirty minutes later, Patrick was crossing the lobby of Viktor’s building. Aria and Leia were waiting on the elevators when he walked up.

“Wow,” Patrick breathed and Aria turned at his voice. “You look...wow.” The sleeveless black metallic dress sparkled under the lobby lights. It draped over her body, the cowl neck just hinting at the swell of her breasts. The back had shown a sliver of skin in the keyhole cut and it had made his mouth water the moment he saw it when he walked up.

“Thanks, Pat. You look pretty dashing yourself, like a secret agent.”

“So you’re my bond girl then?” She smiled at him.

“What about me?” Leia asked.

“Viktor doesn’t deserve you and that dress is killer.” The black leather bodice of Leia’s dress had a plunging v cut and set off the white pleated bottom in striking contrast.

“Well, he paid for both dresses so we forgive him.” The elevator doors opened and all three of them stepped on, riding up to Viktor’s floor. Leia knocked on his door and he swung it open, his eyes raking over each girl.

“Ladies, you look gorgeous.”

“Thanks Viktor,” Aria said, stepping in and kissing his cheek. “We need to talk to you.”

“You and Leia?”

“No, me and Aria,” Patrick said, pushing off the wall where had he had been standing just out of view and crossing the threshold into Viktor’s home. “Now tell us what no good Whitney is up to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
If you didn't already notice from the sequel link above, I put up a little summary tease for the Viktor sequel I'm working on. Its not even a little bit ready for posting but if you want to read it whenever I do start posting, feel free to subscribe. Also, if you read Jonathan and Whitney's story, I promised some time ago to write a prequel sequel about Whitney and the Staal brothers. I finished it yesterday and will start posting it soon. It can be found at http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/503901/Brothers-Divided/