‹ Prequel: Here and Now
Sequel: Let You In

Love. Sex. Magic.

Thirteen

On Tuesday, the day after her “date” with Andrew, Aria served customers in the coffee shop as she waited for her approaching lunch break. She smiled at Whitney when she walked in with Viktor.

“You look freshly showered,” Aria said, starting to make both of their drinks as they walked up the counter.

“Just left practice,” Viktor replied. “Is Leia around?”

“She should be back in about ten minutes from lunch.”

Viktor frowned. “I was hoping to take her to lunch.”

“Sorry, that’s my fault. I have a lunch date so she went ahead and went early today.”

“With Andrew?” Whitney asked.

“Hey, Crow, what are you doing here?” Viktor asked as Corey Crawford walked through the doors.

“A guy can’t enjoy a cup of coffee?”

“Your place is on the other side of town so this is totally out of the way for you.”

“Hey Corey,” Aria smiled.

“Hey Aria,” he grinned back.

“Leia isn't back yet; probably gonna be five or ten minutes. Is that okay?”

“Sure.”

“You want anything?”

“No, I'm good.”

“Here are your drinks,” Aria said, passing a cup to Whitney and then to Viktor. “On me today.”

“Thanks Aria,” Viktor said. He grabbed his cup and steered Whitney to a table. Corey walked up to the counter and Aria leaned across to kiss his cheek. He laughed at something she said.

“She’s going out with Corey?” Whitney hissed at Viktor.

He shrugged. “I don’t know. Why did you think she was going out with Andrew?”

“I saw them last night, at the bar. They looked....cozy. They said they were on a date.”

“How did she even meet Shawzy?”

“At Target they said. How the fuck did she meet Corey?

“I am not the team gossip you know; how am I supposed to know everything? What’s the big deal anyway?”

“How about for starters that they're teammates?”

“She probably doesn't even realize. You know Aria doesn't follow the Blackhawks like you do.”

“She should still know. You guys were all out at the bar that night.”

“And she left before she even got a chance to meet anyone. Remember? Because your friend is a douche.” Leia walked back in then and waved over to Whitney and Viktor. She talked to Aria for a minute before she and Corey walked out of the shop together.

“Leia,” Whitney called out, waving her over. “How does Aria know Corey?”

“He came in for coffee last week. He’s been in every couple days and he finally asked her out yesterday. Aren’t they adorable together?”

“But she had a date with Andrew last night?”

“He’s just a good time, you know? Corey has so much more substance than that.” Leia breezed back to the counter to help a pair of college aged girls who walked in.

“I don’t like it,” Whitney said with a frown.

“You can’t control everything you know.”

~*~*~


“Thanks for lunch, Corey,” Aria said as she hugged the goalie outside the coffee shop. “You really didn’t have to take me though. Just showing up at the shop was enough.”

Corey laughed. “Pat told me about the personal ad and his plan. I figured the least I could do was treat you to a great meal for going along with it.”

“I’ve never been there before and it was delicious. I just wish you had let me split the check with you.”

“My mom taught me to always pay when I’m on a date.”

“But this wasn't a date.”

“Whitney doesn't know that,” he grinned.

“That baby face hides a devious mind I believe, Crawford.”

“Don’t tell anyone.”

“Promise.”

“I’ll see you around?”

“Yeah, maybe. Are you going to the barbecue Whitney and Jon are having this weekend?”

“I am. Are you?”

“Patrick says I am but he won’t say with who.”

“Who would you like to go with?”

“In an effort to prepare for these “dates”, I went online to familiarize myself with the roster and I have figured out that Patrick Sharp is easily the best looking guy on your team but he is very married so...”

“Most girls like Sharpie....some guys too I assume.”

Whitney laughed. “Yes well, it’s the eyes. They seduce you in and keep your soul.”

“I’ll be sure to tell him you said so. Call me if you ever need another lunch date.”

“I will. Thanks again, Corey.”

Aria stepped back inside, smiling at Leia who finished with a customer. “So?” Leia nudged Aria.

“Corey is very nice.”

“He’s so cute! I’m actually a little jealous you went out with him.”

“It wasn’t a real date. Besides, you have Viktor.”

“We’re friends.”

“He likes you, you like him. Why are you two making this difficult?”

“Anyway,” Leia said, changing the subject. “Who are you seeing tonight?”

“You can not tell Carlee.”

“Oh my God! He’s having Duncan Keith take you out?”

“Yes,” Aria admitted.

“You lucky, lucky girl.”

“I don’t know about that. This is all pretty ridiculous if you ask me. He should just talk to Whitney. I’m sure she had good intentions.”

“This is way more fun to watch though. She was not happy to see you leave here with Corey. She was stewing for sure and whispering to Viktor the whole time they were in here.”

~*~*~


Aria waved when she saw Duncan enter the restaurant. He grinned and made his way over to the table where she sat.

“Hey Aria.”

“Hey Duncan. Thanks for doing this.”

“No trouble at all to take a cute girl out.”

They were halfway through their meal when Duncan looked up and smiled devilishly. “I believe we have been spotted.” He reached across the table and took Aria’s hand in his and leaning in to kiss the back of it softly. Aria blushed and averted her eyes from his gaze.

“What. The. Fuck!” Whitney seethed, setting her fork down roughly. “Why is she here with Duncan?”

Jonathan looked around the restaurant until he found Duncan sitting halfway across the room, his eyes fixed on his dining companion. Jon’s eyes grew wide when he realized he was with Aria and he turned back slowly to Whitney who stared daggers at the other table.

“He is the second Blackhawk she has had a date with.”

“That isn’t so bad....”

“Today,” she continued through clenched teeth.

“Oh.”

“I’m going over there,” she said as she began to stand.

“Sit down, Whitney. You’re not going anywhere.”

“Jonathan!”

“Whitney, no,” he said sharply. “Sit down and eat. It’s his business who he goes out with, not yours.”

“But she’s been out with three of you guys in two days!”

“I thought you liked Aria and her friends.”

“Apparently I thought wrong about her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I am seriously considering writing a Corey Crawford story.....I find his baby face too irresistible not to but have no idea where to even start. If you've got a fic prompt you think I should do, send me a message. :) Thank you for your continued feedback; I'm glad y'all are enjoying this.