‹ Prequel: Here and Now
Sequel: Let You In

Love. Sex. Magic.

Eight

Patrick wandered aimlessly through downtown Chicago a week later. He was bored and there was no one to hang out with. He missed Whitney and Jon and was tempted to fly out to surprise them but was certain Jon would actually kill him if he did. Viktor would be back in town in two more days but he had been on his own for five. All the others guys that had been in town had all left for home for one reason or another. Pat thought about going home to Buffalo for a few days too but in all honesty, he enjoyed Chicago. He loved the city, the nightlife, and the ladies. And while his family was great, well, you couldn't get sex from your family.

He paused in front of a coffee shop before pushing the door open and stepping inside. There were a couple of teenage girls giggling at a table in a corner but otherwise the shop was empty. He stepped up to the counter and the girl behind it turned to face him and he froze.

Aria sucked in a breath when she turned to find Patrick Kane at her counter. “What do you want?” she finally asked.

“Coffee?”

“And you had to come here for that? There’s a starbucks a block away.”

“I just stopped. I didn’t know you worked here,” Patrick answered lamely. “I swear.”

“Viktor didn’t tell you where I worked? Or Whitney?”

“Are you kidding me? They’re both still mad at me and they would never sell you out.”

“Good.”

“I take it you’re still pissed at me too?”

“You think? You’re an ass, Patrick Kane. You acted like a complete douchebag and I suspect you always act like that, because you get away with it. But its disgusting and its not cute, not matter what every other girl in this city has told you.”

“So I guess asking you out to dinner to apologize and make up for my shitty behavior is out of the question?”

Aria laughed. “You think I’d be seen in public with you? Oh that’s rich. Not only are you a douche, but you’re delusional. How many pucks have you taken to the head exactly?”

“Not that many,” he grumbled. She laughed harder. “Look, Aria, I’m really sorry for the way I acted. I was a jerk. I’d like a chance to make it up to you, please.”

“Oh for pete’s sake!” Leia exclaimed, coming out from behind the door where she had been listening to the whole exchange. “Just let him take you out. Look at how cute that smile is!”

Aria turned to her friend. “You’re saying I should excuse his behavior because his smile is cute?”

“Well no, but you should give him a chance. He let you take his head off without a single comeback. That’s some sort of progress, right?”

“You are a sucker,” Aria told her. “He hasn’t changed one bit. He’s contrite because his best friend wouldn’t talk to him for two days.”

“That’s not true,” Patrick piped up. “I really did feel bad after you left. I didn’t even take that girl home that night.”

“I’m sure that must have been a great hardship.”

“I haven’t been with anyone since I met you,” Patrick blurted out. He felt his cheeks burn immediately after the words left his mouth. Leia’s eyes went wide and her mouth fell open in a little O. Aria stared at him.

“So you want a cookie then?” Aria asked. She reached into the display and pulled one out, handing it to him. She shook it at him until he accepted it. “There you go. Now go continue on your merry way sleeping with the city of Chicago.” She shooed him away and turned around, busying herself with glasses that didn’t need washing.

“I’m sorry, Aria. I know you don’t believe me but I really am sorry. I hope I haven’t ruined your day,” he said quietly before turning and walking out.

Leia dragged Aria into the back as soon as Patrick had left the building. “Are you out of your mind?” she exclaimed. “He apologized and he meant it.”

“He meant it because he wants in my pants. Doesn’t mean anything,” Aria replied.

~*~*~


Three days later, Aria walked in for her shift at the coffee shop. Carlee and Leia stood at the counter with wide grins.

"What?" Aria asked. "You two look like you're up to something."

"These came for you earlier," Carlee said, pointing at the large vase of flowers that dominated the front counter.

Aria rolled her eyes. "Gee, let me guess." She pulled the card out and read it.

I know it's a cliche to send flowers to say I'm sorry but I don't send flowers to girls and I want you to know I'm sorry. I was a douche and I deserved everything you said to me. Please give me a chance to make up for my lapse in judgement. I'm really sorry, Aria, and I hope you'll give me a chance to prove I mean that.

PK


Aria tucked the card in her pocket. "Well?" Leia asked.

"Well what?"

"Are you going to give him a chance or not?"

"Not."

"Aria!"

"What? He was a prick!"

"Don't you think there must be some good in him? Look at how much Whitney cares about him."

"If you like him so much then you can date him."

An hour later, Viktor strolled into the coffee shop. Aria smiled and greeted him as he approached the counter.

"Nice flowers. Who has an admirer?" He asked.

"Apparently I do," Aria replied.

"That doesn't sound very enthusiastic."

"They're from Patrick."

"Patrick Kane?" Aria nodded. "Patrick Kane sent you flowers?" He asked in disbelief.

"Is that so unbelievable?"

"Actually, yes. In the two years I've known Kaner, he's never sent a girl flowers. I mean, I know he's gotten Whitney flowers but he never sent her flowers, you know? Wait, how did he know where to send you flowers?"

Aria sighed. "He came in a couple days ago. He said he didn't know this is where I worked."

"I didn't tell him and I know Whitney would never tell."

"He apologized and he sent these to apologize again."

"And?"

"And he wants to take me to dinner and I told him no."

"Huh." He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "That does not sound at all like Kaner. Are we talking about the same dude?"

"Blond hair, blue eyes, total douche? Yeah, that dude."