‹ Prequel: Here and Now
Sequel: Let You In

Love. Sex. Magic.

Nine

Leia, where are you guys???

Sorry, Aria! We got sidetracked.

Sidetracked?! Are you kidding me?! You said you'd be here so I came. Now I'm all alone at a bar and some dude is totally creeping me!

We'll be there in like twenty minutes, I swear.

If they don't find my body, it's your fault.


Aria slid her phone into her clutch and hopped from her bar stool, making her way towards the bathrooms. When she exited, she ran into the man she had seen at the bar. She smiled politely and moved to step around him. He moved with her, blocking her path.

"Excuse me," Aria said firmly.

"Hey girl. What's your name?"

"That's none of your business."

"Don't be like that. Let me buy you a drink," he leered.

"No thank you."

"How about a dance?" He reached for her and pulled her to him. Aria hit him in the chest with her fist.

"Let me go!" She yelled.

"Hey! Hands off, dude!" Patrick's voice shouted from behind. He grabbed the mans shoulder and yanked.
"She said no," Patrick continued, stepping between him and Aria. He looked back at her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Aria replied.

"Come on," he said, grabbing her hand in his. He led her out of the bar and onto the street before Aria yanked her hand away from him.

"What are you doing?"

Patrick shrugged. "Saving you from that creeper?"

"Why?"
"Because you looked like you needed help? I'm sorry; should I have let him manhandle you?" Aria glared at him. "If manhandling is what you want, I can help you with that."

"Whatever. I can take care of myself."

"Before or after he kills you and then fucks your dead carcass?"

"Wow, Kaner. You have quite a way with words, you know that?"

"I've got all sorts of talented little tricks you don't know about. My wordsmanship is just one of many." He smiled. "Seriously, are you okay, Aria?"

She sighed. "I'm fine, Patrick. Thank you for stepping in. I appreciate it."

"Enough for that date I'd like to take you out on?"

"No."

"Come on, Aria. Please?" He begged. He fluttered his eyes at her. "You sort of owe me your life."

Aria laughed. "You think so?"

"I mean, I'm pretty sure that guy was a serial killer."

"Fine; you can buy me dessert, how 'bout that?"

"I can live with that. But when you enjoy yourself so much that you want to see more of me, I get to choose the next date."

"There won't be a second date because this isn't a date."

"Yes it is. And there will be a second date."

"No, there will be no second date, trust me." Aria turned to her right. "Come on; there's an ice cream place a couple blocks away. You're buying," Aria told him.

They walked side by side down the sidewalk and when they reached the store, Patrick held the door open for her. There were a few people at the tables inside but it was mostly quiet. Aria ordered for herself and then Pat ordered. The teenager behind the counter handed Aria her a cone and she took a bite, her eyes closing and a satisfied smile crossing her lips.

"They have the best rocky road," she murmured as Patrick handed cash to the girl to pay. He followed Aria back out into the Chicago night and across the street. He took her hand in his as they walked through the park, licking their ice cream in silence. He steered her towards a bench and they sat down. He put his free arm around her shoulders and scooted close to her so theirs thighs touched.

"I'm sorry," Patrick finally said, breaking the silence.

"So you've said," Aria replied.

"I mean it though. I know I'm a pain in the ass and not just on the ice but off too. I need to make changes in my life and I think you're the reason I want too."

"Excuse me?"

Pat shrugged. "I like you, Aria. I should've known better than to think a dumb line would work on a girl who came with Whitney but what do I know really? I'm a guy. I just want a chance to prove myself. Please."

"Are you serious right now? Like you're actually telling me you want to be a respectable member of the community and not just a skirt chaser?"

"You make it sound like a bad thing."

"It's not but you do realize who you are, right? You've never really been known as anything but a party boy."

"So maybe I've done my fair share of dickmatizing around town but it doesn't mean I'm entirely a bad guy."

"Did you just say dickmatizing?"

Patrick flushed. "Uh...."

"Dickmatizing?"

"Yeah, about that...."

"No, I really don't want to know. I'm going to pretend I never even heard you say it." She turned so she was facing him. "This has been nice so I'm going to give you a second chance. Don't make me regret it, understood?" Patrick nodded. "Good. Tomorrow night, 7 o'clock. You can pick me up at the coffee shop. I'm picking what we do. You're paying."

"So, can I have your number?" He asked shyly.

She shook her head. "No. But if you impress me tomorrow, I might let you have it at the end of the night. That gives you a goal to work towards and I'm certain you do good when you have those."