Status: taking front page!

Shadows of the Past

001

Finally. I sighed and smiled down at my work; I had a small pack ready to go, as well as some feed and carrots for the horses. I was overeager for this journey, this trip away from home. "Ready, Kaja?" It was Legolas speaking to me. I turned my head and saw him there, standing much like he always did; straight without a bend in his back; the way he had been taught, the way we'd both been taught. I smiled and nodded, packing the rest of my things. We would head out after lunch, which would be soon. I tied my bag and coiled it up, glancing around my room one final time. I wouldn't allow my father to rush me, should I forget anything.

"Ready." I replied back in Common Speech; he had spoken to me in our native tongue. We spoke to each other in many different languages, something we had done since we were children. A habit, really. It had started with it just being him trying to teach me casual tones, but it slowly turned into our own multitude of languages, something only we could do with each other. He smiled then, and ushered me towards our father's study. I wasn't supposed to go with Legolas; he would take three of our riders with him to Rivendell, but I had refused to let him go without me. I had not yet left Mirkwood and dreamed nightly of seeing the wide world of which my father - my king - had forbade me to see.

We entered the room slowly and bowed like we were taught, straightening up only when he raised his hand at us. My father was not one of the Three to be gifted a ring, instead he wore a circlet of his power, matching both Lord Elrond and Lord Celeborn in majesty. It was the same circlet his father before him, and his father's father wore while they ruled Mirkwood. I smiled at the thought, but soon made my face like the statues - cold and indifferent. He sat in his chair while Legolas and I stood, watching him. My father wasn't always a kind elf, but he was a king through and through. He sheltered his people and peppered them with gifts when he felt that they needed the boost. He's also one of the rare few who can control an element, wind is his gift.

"When will you leave?" He addressed my brother, lifting his grey eyes to his. His Sindarin was strong and was often clipped, a tone he had often muttered sounded 'royal'. Legolas's face remained stoic as he spokt. "Soon, Father." Legolas replied in the same language, the only language accetable to be used around the King. I simply stood, not unused to the ignorance my father often displayed towards me. I wouldn't be a royal child should my brother have not loved me; instead I would have become a servant or worse, an exile. Thurandril was secret in his life and secret with everything else; a child found on his doorstep with a letter proclaiming I was his, had been a shock and a wake up call for the king.

I must have been the wake up call of his life; a baby woods elf with his eyes sitting on the King's doorstep. "Kaja," I nearly jumped at the sound of my name leaving his mouth. I glanced up and nodded slightly at my father, almost balking at the sight of his hard grey eyes. "Look after your brother, regardless of where he goes." He commanded, his eyes never faltering from their locked gaze on mine. I had never seen my father seem so protective over anything before. I nodded, as calmly as I could. "Yes sir." I replied weakly. He too, nodded and ushered me out by pointing at the guards stationed outside the study. I left the room without a second glance backwards, eager to be out from his cruel gaze.

------------------------------


After eating, I headed to the stables. Our servants were packing our horses for us, and the other two guards coming with us had already done so. "Thank you," I spoke kindly to them, and watched them leave before I began to hum to my horse, stroking his long nose as his ears flickered and twitched. "Desiel, Beleger?" [Ready, Beleger?] I murmured, smiling as he nudged my hand. I didn't bring a carrot like he would have wanted, and sighed as he nuzzled my pockets. "Nothing, my friend. Not until we're on our way." I said softly, smiling. I continued to pet his nose, before I heard the soft bells ring from our tower. It was time.

I saddled him myself and eased up onto him, nudging him into a slow walk from our stables to the gates of our castle. Legolas was all ready, sitting on his brown steed like the prince he was. I refused to read into him, as I was far too excited to leave. Our two escorts sat on their horses as well, and I gave them both a kind smile. I knew under their armour they carried swords and daggers; both were trained under strict guidance how and when to use their tools. I followed Legolas's gaze to the balcony of the castle, and found my father watching us from afar. I didn't wave. With a click of my tongue I turned and followed the escorts without a look back, letting them lead me away from my home.

I didn't know this might be the last time I'll see it again.
♠ ♠ ♠
All Elvish has been found using this website: http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm I take no credit for the words.