Covet

7.

A couple days later, I finally left the security of my apartment and walked down to the sidewalk to grab the Sunday paper. It’d been nearly a month and a half since my last paycheck after I quit my job, and I was in desperate need for money. My bank accounts were slowing draining, and I started to regret not taking Brendon up on his offer for compensation.

I sat at my dining room table with the paper, highlighting and writing all over the hiring section. My cell phone rang next to me and though I didn’t recognize the number, I answered.

“Hey, it’s Tommy,” the voice on the other line said; the reception was horrible and made his voice sound different.

“How’d you get my number?” I asked, confused as to how he had it and why he was calling me in the first place.

“Brendan,” he explained quickly. He was silent for a minute, and I heard distant pounding wherever he was. “Hey, um, you should come by my gym. We’ll hang out tonight.”

I was stunned into silence. Tommy was the definition of bipolar; I really couldn’t decide what his deal was.

“You there?” He asked.

“Y-yeah, sorry,” I stuttered. “Which gym is it?”

“Colt's. I’ll be here all afternoon so there’s no rush.”

I found myself staring at the paper in front of me in confusion. “Okay… I’ll see you.”

He said a quick see you back before hanging up. I sighed and got up to go shower.

I took advantage of the time I was permitted to spend getting ready to enjoy my shower, letting the hot water smooth my aching, tired body. When I got out and dried off, I threw my wet, hip length blonde hair behind my back and put on a headband to get baby hairs out of my face. My laziness got the best of me as I decided to only put on mascara, then threw on some jeans and a slightly wrinkled t-shirt. I grabbed my leather jacket and put it on before throwing my purse over my shoulder. I walked out the door, locking it behind me, and walked to the gym. I’d seen it several times; I used to go on morning walks often and I passed by it in my route, but I’d never been in. I took a shortcut today, though, and walked down a small hill before turning left into the gym.

A dozen guys were in there, none of which seemed to be a normal or average size. Two men were sparring with each other, and the others were watching and shouting things at them. I looked at the reception desk to ask where Tommy would be, but the chair was empty. Not really knowing what to do, I stepped inside of the gym and glanced around for Tommy, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“Hey, can I help you?” A deep voice called out to me. I looked forward and four of the men had their heads turned to me, staring at me with curiosity. One of them walked over to me.

“I uh, I’m just looking for Tommy,” I explained in a quiet voice. The guy smirked and turned around.

“She’s here to see Tommy,” he called out the group of guys who were staring at me. I received a chorus of howls from them, along with some laugher. He turned back to me and his smile was warmer this time. “Tommy just started coming back here; he keeps to himself a lot so we don’t keep track of him. You his chick or something?”

I couldn’t hold back a nervous laugh. “No, no. He just called me up to ask me if I could swing by here.”

“Okay, well feel free to look around, I guess,” he said. I nodded and walked past him, toward the back of the gym. I saw Tommy sitting on a bench, slowly removing the wrapping of gauze on his hands. I sat by him, and he was quiet for a moment.

“You didn’t have to draw so much attention to yourself,” he said coolly, keeping his gaze on his hands instead of me.

“Actually, they came up to me. I didn’t go up to anyone on my own,” I rebutted.

He laughed softly. “Don’t get your panties in a bunch, babe. I was joking around.” He stood up. “Give me a minute to rinse off and we can go.”

*

Apparently, Tommy had decided that I was his new drinking buddy. This time around we were more comfortable with each other, and as we drank more, we talked more. He told me about the last time he was in Pittsburg. Though Brendan told me about what happened at Sparta, it was interesting to hear a different perspective. Turns out, Paddy wasn’t nearly the saint I thought he was. Tommy kept his childhood story vague, only saying that his father was a drunk and left it at that. Still, even with a sentence long summary, I could tell by the look on his face that in the past sixteen years, he’s never gotten over it or has never really even come to terms with it. He managed to smoothly transition the topic over to me, though, and soon enough we were completely drunk.

“I’ll walk you home,” he suggested, standing up from the bar stool and throwing some money onto the bar top. He held his arm out for me to take, which I graciously accepted as I clumsily hopped off my own chair. He held my arm in his and walked with me outside.

“You have a good memory,” I commented as he turned right onto the street, seeming to know exactly where he was going.

He smiled and shrugged. “That I do.”

I honestly loved walking with him that night. He smelled faintly like whiskey and cologne, and his large frame made me feel safe. The air was cool and the streets were quiet and empty as we continued to walk, but the silence was comfortable. Eventually we reached my apartment, and for the second time in a row he walked me to my door. For the first time that entire evening, I felt awkward.

“So, uh...” I struggled to talk, and I cut myself off with a hiccup.

Tommy laughed momentarily. He walked forward, closing the distance between us, and put his hand on my cheek to make me look up at him. His eyes stayed glued onto my lips. “I am very, very attracted to you, Hailey,” he slurred slowly.

At the same time, he leaned down and I leaned up, our lips connecting roughly. He walked me backwards until my back slammed against my door, and I forced myself to pull away from him to unlock the door. As soon as I opened it he was kissing me again, picking me up so I could secure my legs around his hips. He stepped inside and kicked the door shut behind him. My fingers latched themselves into his hair and his mouth trailed down to nip at my throat, making me tug on his hair.

“Room,” I mumbled to him quietly.

I felt him smirk against my skin before he looked up to see where to walk. Right after he went back to my neck, kissing and biting at the already sensitive skin. Even with alcohol pumping through his body, he managed to maneuver around my tiny living room and open my bedroom door before lightly laying me down on my bed. Tommy ran his hands under my body to lift me up and carry me back a couple feet. He then crawled onto the bed to get on top of me and kissed me again. My hands reached out to pull off his jacket, and he stopped kissing me.

“You’re sure?” he asked simply, his eyes never leaving to look anywhere other than my mouth. Even though my brain was fuzzy there was no hesitation entering my thought process as I nodded quickly, my hands moving to his neck to push him back onto my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been almost a month since the last update, but hi. Shit's heating up. This is also a really good length update.

On a less sexual note I have 50 subscribers on this now, and only three people commented (two are my friends so they're obligated. So technically one person?). That makes me really sad and unmotivated. Even if it's only two words I'd really love to hear from you guys.