Status: Finished

To Die For

Losers

"We lost. That was our last shot at the championship," Cain said shaking his head.

"Sports are sports. Who cares," Ares answered.

"Spoken like a true band geek," Logan commented.

"A band geek that can kick your ass," Ares shot back smirking.

"Only because I won't hit a girl," Logan defended.

"Guys, we've been sitting in the bleachers since the game got over. That was four hours ago. Don't you think we should leave?" Cain asked.

"Probably," Ares said getting up and offering her hand to Cain. "You coming Logan?"

"Nah I'm going to chill out here for a while. See you guys later," he answered.

"Later dude," Cain said.

Ares and Cain walked down the bleachers and out the gate.

"Where to now?" Cain asked.

"Wally World? It's always fun there at midnight," Ares answered.

"Wally World it is then," Cain said smiling. "I really wish your car was out of the shop."

"Me too Zeev, me too," Ares answered as they turned into a dark, deserted alley.

"Did you see that?" Cain asked.

"See what?" Ares answered.

"It looked like a person....Ah well I must just be imagining things," Cain replied.

"I always think you're imagining things," Ares said.

"Gee, thanks Ari," Cain said dryly.

"No problem," Ares smiled.

"No problem for me. I believe you two lovebirds have a bit of a problem though," a man said stepping out from behind a dumpster and leveling a gun at Cain. "Now I don't want any trouble, just give me your money and we can all walk away from this just fine."

Ares burst out laughing, "We're 18-year-old high school students, you really think we have money," she asked. "Good one."

"Quiet girly and just hand over what you've got or I'll shoot your boyfriend here,"the man replied.

Ares sighed, "Why does everyoene always assume we're a couple?"

"QUIET!" the man yelled. "I don't care if you're complete strangers, hand over what you've got or I'll shoot him."

"No," Ares said quietly.

"Ari," Cain warned softly.

"No what?" the man asked. "No you won't give me what I want, or no I won't shoot him?"

"Either," Ares answered shortly.

"Hate to tell you sweetie, but you're wrong about one thing," the man said cocking the hammer, "I will shoot him," he said pulling the trigger.

"Ari!" Cain shouted.

"What?!" he asked shocked, "How? How is that possible? You were five feet behind him."

Ares smiled evilly with a hand to her bloody side, " I told you that you wouldn't shoot him. See that's where you were stupid. You assumed I meant that you didn't have the nerve. I meant that I wouldn't let the bullet hit him."

"Well I didn't want to kill a little girl tonight, but I suppose now I must. Better to leave a body for the cops to deal with than a witness." the man said stepping forward and cocking the hammer again, this time putting it to Ares's temple.

Ares laughed evilly.

"I don't think you should be the one laughing little girl."

"Oh but I should be," Ares said, just before kneeing the man in the groin. She then continued to knock him flat on his back and step on his wrist, shattering it and sending the gun towards Cain's feet. "You see," she said above the man's screams and sobbing, "I'm not a weak little girl. That was your second bad assumption. And you want to know your third?" she asked bending to put her lips to the man's ear. "I would do anything for him, a bullet is nothing and there was no way just in hell I was going to let you hurt him. I don't care if it kills me, I will protect him as long as I live. You however won't be living much longer. I want you to remember something though. Don't ever underestimate a girl's desire to protect the one she loves. And never underestimate a girl's strength. Goodbye." she said reaching down and snapping the man's neck. She stood up, "Cain," she wimpered before collapsing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I must admit, this scene was the whole reason I started this story.