Status: Finished

To Die For

School

Ares woke up Monday morning and groaned. She had to go to school today.

"Stupid ass school," she mumbled. "Why the hell do I have to go to school for three fucking days? Can't I just stay here?" she asked herself. She sighed, knowing the answer and hauled herself out of bed to her ensuite bathroom. When she had first stayed with Gary and Cain, they had found out that she was not a morning person, and if you interrupted her bathroom time, she was liable to skin you like a cat. This resulted in her getting her own bathroom.

When she had taken her shower, gotten dressed, and done her hair and makeup, she went downstairs for breakfast. No one else was awake yet. Gary didn't have to be at work until three and Cain liked to sleep until the last minute before rushing around getting ready for school.

Once she was finished with breakfast, she went and pounded on Cain's door, sounding slightly like someone's mother. "Leavin in 5, be ready or walk," she hollered through the door. She heard Cain start to scramble around and shook her head and said softly to herself "He never learns, does he?"

Five minutes later, she was waiting in her car about ready to leave when Cain dashed out the door and hopped in her car.

"Give me a little more warning next time, will you?" he asked, slightly breathless.

"You wouldn't pay attention if I did," she responded.

"Yes I.....Okay, far enough," he said getting a low chuckle out of Ares.

When they got to school, Ares felt the stares and whispers follow her spreading the story of how she had been shot, God knows what story it was though. No one approached her to ask her what happened though.

"Ari, I've got to go," Cain said when they got to her locker, "Amos'll kill me if I'm late again."

"Kk, later," Ares said putting her combination in as Cain walked away.

When she opened her locker, a note fluttered to the floor.

She opened it to read it.
"My daddy wants to meet with you bitch. Something about you being a threat and you have to join or die. I hope you die for taking my boy away from me. Who knows, maybe if I put in a word with my daddy, he'll kill you either way. Meet at the docks next Monday at 4. Go alone.
-S"

"Shit,"Ares grunted. "I can't let Cain see this. He'd probably kill her himself. As much as he hates hurting girls, he refuses to let anyone insult me no matter who they are."

Ares hid the note in her binder and went through her day like normal. After school she waited for Cain so they could go home. She almost left him because he was taking too long, but he jumped in the car just before she pulled out of the parking lot.

"You'll never learn, will you?" Ares said smirking.

"Nope,"Cain said smiling. "It's a good thing that I have you to be punctual for me, otherwise I'd be late for everything."

"Ain't that the truth," Ares said softly.

When they pulled in the driveway, they were surprised to see Gary's car in the driveway still. They were also surprised to see a police car there.

"Ares what did you do now?" Cain asked.

"Dunno," Ares replied shrugging. "Maybe they decided to prosecute me for killing that guy. Whateves. I don't really care."

"Well someone's paranoid," Cain said sarcastically.

When they went inside, they found Gary sitting in the living room with the police officer. The police officer rose when they walked in the room.

"Ms. Suna, I presume?" the officer said.

"Yes," Ares replied a bit on edge.

"I'm Officer Hodge, I came to speak with you about your mother."

"Officer, I am 18, whatever she has come to you and said about my living arrangements, I assure you, I am no longer a minor and am free to live where I choose," Ares replied stiffly.

"No, no it has nothing to do with that," Officer Hodge said shuffling his feet. "The thing is..." the officer couldn't continue so Gary finished telling Ares.

"Your mother's dead Ares," he said bluntly. "They heard about her marijuana and went to procure it and take her to jail, but she pulled a gun on them, so they had to shoot her."

The officer looked relieved that he wouldn't have to tell the 18 year old girl that her mother had been killed by a police officer.

"No surprise there," Ares said shrugging. "Except for the fact that she had money to spend on a gun in the first place."

The officer was surprised that Ares didn't seem to care that her only living blood relative was now dead. "Ms. Suna, the home that she lived in. It is yours as soon as we finish sweeping for illegal substances."

"Thank you for your time officer," Ares said shaking Officer Hodge's hand as he made his way to the door.

When the officer had left, Gary looked at Ares. "If you want, I can stay home from work today."

Ares looked surprised at the offer. "Nah, I'm fine. The bitch got what she deserved. She was an awful mother anyway."

"If you're sure," Gary said standing up and heading to the door. When he reached Ares, he leaned down and kissed her on the forehead gently. "You're always welcome to stay here for as long as you want."

Ares smiled, "Thanks Gary. That house is full of bad memories and now is not a good time to go back there."

"No problem Ares," Gary said walking out the door.

"You okay?" Cain asked.

Ares grinned, "Great Zeev. Absolutely, phenomenally great."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, maybe kind of harsh that she's happy her mom's dead, but even from just the hospital scene with her mom, you can tell she really is an awful mother.

Enjoy.