Nothing Like Us

Let's Start A Fight

Chapter 4: Untitled |
“Fenwick, I’m hungry,” Jacob commented, walking into the living room and glaring at the fact that Eli and Fenwick were sitting on the couch with their eyes glued to the TV playing the Pens/Stars game. When Jacob stepped in front of Fenwick to block her view of the game, she groaned and turned the volume down low enough that she could hear Jacob but loud enough that she wouldn’t miss a detail of the game. “Isn’t there anything better to watch on TV? I think the Steelers are playing soon and I don’t want to miss it, we’re on a winning streak.”

“Jake, can you please move? The games’ on and you’re blocking my view,” Fenwick sighed, straining to use the gentlest voice she could manage. “It’s kind of my job to watch every game, even if I’m not there. I’ll need to know what happened so I can ask the right questions and write my article later.”

“Move!” Eli shouted, glaring at Jacob when the announcers mentioned James’ name. “Daddy’s on TV.”

“Your daddy is nothing compared to Crosby or Malkin,” Jakes shrugged, shaking his head when Eli whined that he missed watching James score. “I could have done that with my eyes closed, it’s nothing special. If you want to see talent, look at Crosby.”

“Jacob, please,” Fenwick commanded, her voice tired but firm. As old as Jacob was, she knew that once he got into an argument with anyone, even if it was a three year old, he would go on forever until he won. Similarly, Eli got his stubbornness from his mom and once he believed in something, he’d argue it until he was blue in the face. When the two of them got into something it took forever to declare a winner and even then, the loser was bitter for days on end. “Can you please just sit down? I really do need to watch this game.”

“Can’t you look at the recap online or something? I want food, Fenwick. I got off of work, came straight here, and haven’t eaten all day.”

“No, I can’t because when you read the recaps or box scores you might miss the little things that they don’t pick up on and it’s those little things that you really want to make sure you have in your article because that can be a good focus point and give it an angle that no other article has. I wouldn’t expect you to understand what I need to do for my job but I’d hope that you would at least respect the fact that if I tell you I really need to do something, there’s no way of getting out of it. If you’re that hungry, I can order a pizza or something during commercial break or intermission.”

“Pizza sounds good, mommy!” Eli clapped, his face lighting up. “With pineyapple and bacon?”

“With whatever you want on it, sweetie,” Fenwick smiled, her eyes shifting from Jacob to the TV once he finally huffed and moved out of the way. “You just tell me what you want on there and I’ll get it.”

“I don’t want pizza,” Jake commented, his glare hard as he looked at Fenwick.

“Jake, please? Can we just have pizza tonight? It’s so much easier if I don’t have to co-“

“I don’t want pizza,” Jake pushed, glaring at Fenwick until she sighed and retreated to the kitchen to get the folder of take-out menus.

“I don’t like you,” Eli pouted, crossing his arms and glaring at Jake.

“Does your mother listen to you, little shit? I didn’t think so, so if I were you, I’d watch your mouth.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so here's the deal;;

First and foremost, I appreciate every single one of you that comment and recommend this story. It means so much to me and I'm really sorry for long wait for a short update.

Being a third year in college, I've been extremely busy and as much as I'd love to get on and update I just haven't had the time to sit down and write. That being said, I appreciate all of the people that take the time out and comment because it really gives me the motivation to continue writing and I love seeing what everyone thinks is going to happen or hear their thoughts on everything. This gives me more incentive and helps a lot with writing future chapters because I constantly improve my story and chapters based on feedback, as all writers do. I hate doing this to all of my loyal readers that leave comments regularly but if I'm going to spend time typing out an update, don't you think you could spare a couple of seconds just so I know what to improve on from chapter to chapter? It's a constant feedback cycle and every comment and suggestion I get gets consideration for my story and even if you don't think much of it, it really helps.

Thanks guys! <3